Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM
SmokeyTN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Hah, ok, I may, or may not follow through with things in that order. In reality, I will actually probably completely forget that I even own a bike right when I get home.
Haha, now that's the right answer. Seriously though, just get home safe and thank you for your service. Same goes to all the current and former military on this board. It seems like a lot of you. Thanks for what you do and all you sacrifice. I'm sure you don't hear it enough.

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Not likely. It will be a bit more lean than normal, but won't grenade your motor.

The general arm chair tuner advice around here is "change A/C or exhaust, no tune needed, change both and get a tune". I can tell you from being deep in the ECM myself, these should be tuned the day you buy it. They run lean and hot for EPA compliance and the greenies. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but there is a lot more power to be had even in stock form, and a bit of cooling to go along with it.
That's not the understanding that I had ever gotten. I always thought it was more like, "Get Slip ons only, don't need to tune. Get full pipes but no A/C change, don't need to tune but should consider it. Get higher flowing air cleaner, NEED to tune." I could be wrong, but that's more the gist that I have gotten. That said, I wouldn't change the A/C then ride that far on it without retuning. You're going to get things pretty hot in an hour, especially if it's even more lean from the high intake. It might be fine, but even a small chance of destroying that motor would be too much for me to take.

Last edited by SmokeyTN; 03-12-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:35 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Here is the jack and wood idea that I used before the moto jack... In either case, its a one man job.
sorry, having a slow day and couldn't resist

Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt990724
sorry, having a slow day and couldn't resist
hahaha, I didn't even get it when I was writing it. Nice catch

Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Lone wolf lo 10
Tourer

Got my new speed o installed, got to say I love it, I really don't understand while 2010 didn't come with a tach, also installed the wiring to use my rear turn signals as running lights, I orderd the visor style rear turn covers and I'm going to tint them out to match my brake light, orderd the dark custom logo to go over the stock fuel gauge( I don't need two and it will match fuel cap) waiting till I take the bike to fuel Moto to do cam cover, primary and upper and lower rocker boxes, I'll have to put a better compensator and AIM variable presure clutch in anyway, then going to do freight train necelle and denium black lowers

Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyTN
Haha, now that's the right answer. Seriously though, just get home safe and thank you for your service. Same goes to all the current and former military on this board. It seems like a lot of you. Thanks for what you do and all you sacrifice. I'm sure you don't hear it enough.

That's not the understanding that I had ever gotten. I always thought it was more like, "Get Slip ons only, don't need to tune. Get full pipes but no A/C change, don't need to tune but should consider it. Get higher flowing air cleaner, NEED to tune." I could be wrong, but that's more the gist that I have gotten. That said, I wouldn't change the A/C then ride that far on it without retuning. You're going to get things pretty hot in an hour, especially if it's even more lean from the high intake. It might be fine, but even a small chance of destroying that motor would be too much for me to take.
An engine is just an air pump. You either make more air come in, or more air go out. In either case you'll be leaning up the AFR. Do both and you'll really lean it out. I was doing a tuning run recently toying with some things, and read the logs. At certain times my WB O2 sensors were reading an AFR of 15 in places. I could tell in the throttle response, it was very flat. Point is, according to HD's own documentation you can run a twin cam up to 15:1 or as low as 8:1. By him adding just an A/C I seriously doubt his VEs are going to change that much to affect real AFR. Here is a stock AFR table for reference.

But, as always, to each his own. I'm not responsible for his bike, only mine. I just like to question conventional wisdom with real data. It's a recessive gene I guess. (not trying to start an argument either)

Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a whole list of things I learned that I wanted to put in here, but I don't remember what half of them were..A set of exhaust from a 1999-2006 88ci model will fit a 2007+ 96ci model.. The 422's in the rear, and the RaceTechs up front make a world of difference in handling in the corners.. small cup baffles make a nicer sound than the stock 13" baffles.. umm.. soldering sucks monkey chode.. the 1.5" lift keeps the fuel gauge accurate, but the range-meter is fubar'd..completely topped off, it said I had a range of about 175 miles, and 75 miles later it says I have 45 remaining.. so yeah. Oh, and in the tranny.. 85w140 gear lubricant really does help shifting.. she slides in to neutral very nicely now, and shifting through the gears just feels better.. so.. on with the photos.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a whole list of things I learned that I wanted to put in here, but I don't remember what half of them were..A set of exhaust from a 1999-2006 88ci model will fit a 2007+ 96ci model.. The 422's in the rear, and the RaceTechs up front make a world of difference in handling in the corners.. small cup baffles make a nicer sound than the stock 13" baffles.. umm.. soldering sucks monkey chode.. the 1.5" lift keeps the fuel gauge accurate, but the range-meter is fubar'd..completely topped off, it said I had a range of about 175 miles, and 75 miles later it says I have 45 remaining.. so yeah. Oh, and in the tranny.. 85w140 gear lubricant really does help shifting.. she slides in to neutral very nicely now, and shifting through the gears just feels better.. so.. on with the photos.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM
82fat
Novice

Thanks for the input guys, looks like I will just have the dealer install the a/c to be safe.

Last edited by 82fat; 03-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:16 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys as some of you guys may know I engrave derbys and have done some for a few in this thread... Anyway my regular derby guy hasn't gotten back to me... And I need a couple "cherry" satin black derby covers... If you got one can you PM me... if you wanna get rid of it. Thanks, Mark

Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mean to beat the AC issue to death but when I asked Fuel Moto to go ahead and send it they said if would be fine to run it without tune and exhaust. Those guys know what they are doing so I trust what they say as far as that goes. The low profile oil catcher from HD is a decent piece of gear, however one word of caution: be careful using it with your truck or other vehicles. The hole for the oil is tiny and if you aren't careful the oil will hit the pan, bounce up, and go all over the garage floor. I'm hoping for better results when I go to do my 5000 mile service next weekend. The BAL3-ST is sitting on the counter right now but the wife is making me wait till my birthday tomorrow to put it on. I'm not pushing the issue because she also let me get a new Glock which I'm picking up on Thursday.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners