Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the wire i have is too heavy-duty for this, stranded 12 gauge that's a pain in the butt to bend, so ill find some 18 gauge later on.. anywho.. not horrible:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-pnopu.jpg

Old 03-08-2012, 04:59 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Yeah, the wire i have is too heavy-duty for this, stranded 12 gauge that's a pain in the butt to bend, so ill find some 18 gauge later on.. anywho.. not horrible:

Nice. You seriously have to get some pics when you finally get it outside again. So used to seeing it in pieces, it will be nice to see the finished (for now) product.

It's mid 60s here today, did a quick 75 miles. I really need to loosen the shocks up. 4 turns is starting to kill my *** and back...

Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

More more thing Jim, have you noticed what looks like stress on your fuel supply line due to your lift? Looks like it's pulling a bit to me. Might want to watch that. Vibration and such might cause problems.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:02 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Finally figuring out doing pics on here. Here is a pic of my latest mod of my V&H Short Shots

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-bike-2.jpg  
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
More more thing Jim, have you noticed what looks like stress on your fuel supply line due to your lift? Looks like it's pulling a bit to me. Might want to watch that. Vibration and such might cause problems.
Oh i still have the tank held up by a 3/4" deep socket just so I have room to work under it and do the wiring and all that.. so the position it's in now isn't what it's going to be when i'm done

Old 03-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Soldering sucks. Just want to reiterate that fact.. especially when you don't actually have an iron stand, so you basically make on, and turn your back for a second, and it falls off the stand, and burns a hole through the carpet padding and in to the wood of your work bench. fun times. 1/2 way done, just gotta solder on the other side, shrink wrap it all (putting the shrink wrap on first, of course, duh), then making it all look pretty, then that's it.. huzzah. bring on winter!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SmokeyTN
I have that windshield as well, but when it came it was WAY too tall for my liking. I like the top to be right at the nose when I'm riding so that I'm actually looking over the plastic but fully shielded from the blast. I took it to a local shop and had them cut it down about 5-6 inches for me (stock comes in at 21"). It cost me about $50 I think, but it looks like it came that way and is now perfectly set up for me individually.
I really need to get motivated on cutting my shield down about 4" or so. I have all the tools to do the job but you know one slip with the saw and its all over. I might have the wife look for someone in town and have it done while I am over seas during the next few months.

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Soldering sucks. Just want to reiterate that fact.. especially when you don't actually have an iron stand, so you basically make on, and turn your back for a second, and it falls off the stand, and burns a hole through the carpet padding and in to the wood of your work bench. fun times. 1/2 way done, just gotta solder on the other side, shrink wrap it all (putting the shrink wrap on first, of course, duh), then making it all look pretty, then that's it.. huzzah. bring on winter!
I hate when that happens. Went to do a quick solder job a few months back, got in a hurry and rested the iron on a block of wood next to my Sat phone. Anyway I was distracted by the wife for a couple of minutes and when I came back $1500 down the drain. I guess I was lucky the battery didn't go up in flames.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:38 AM
sandsquid
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I am pretty sure that on the 2011 and up there is no need for the load equalizer. I have led signals front and rear and a Led tail light on my 2011 and have had no problems with it. BTW I don't have the BAL so I can't help there.
There is no issue with your security system when changing to led's. What LED's do you have on yours? Because if I don't need the load equalizer you just saved me 30-40 bucks.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:00 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sandsquid
There is no issue with your security system when changing to led's. What LED's do you have on yours? Because if I don't need the load equalizer you just saved me 30-40 bucks.
Mind you my bike is a 2011 I know some more ECM BCM changes were made in 2012. The guys at Custom Dynamics are really helpfull and don't mind talking to you over the phone to answer any questions.
I am running the custom Dynamics Turn Signals front and rear. http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

And the D2Moto Led Taillight. It's not as bright as the BAL lights but it is an improvement over the stock taillight. http://www.d2moto.com/p-6845-harley-...t-signals.aspx
Name:  Harley3.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  32.2 KB

Last edited by Misbehaven; 03-09-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:19 AM
SmokeyTN
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I really need to get motivated on cutting my shield down about 4" or so. I have all the tools to do the job but you know one slip with the saw and its all over. I might have the wife look for someone in town and have it done while I am over seas during the next few months.
I liked having it done for me. That way, if they slip they get to buy me a new shield. I'm sure it can be done at home though. I just didn't have the equipment and these guys made it look perfect. As an alternative, you could buy a new plastic piece (at whatever height you want) from Memphis Shades (http://memphisshades.com/harley-shad...arley-davidson). They have colors, smoked, gradients, etc that are all set up to fit with the HD mounting hardware. The only problem is that it costs more (~$90 IIRC). I almost went that route because I was thinking about getting a smoked one (they call it "solar").

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners