Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Goatman44
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents,

A couple of questions:
I have the BAL 3 Series Tail Light with license plate light on my bike and it is causing the security light to stay on. Anyone have problems with this?
Also I am going to attempt to disassemble my forks and have them PC. Anyone have a thread link for a detailed layout on the disassembley procedure?

Old 03-06-2012, 07:02 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a) No problems with my BAL-3ST..but I have a 2010 before they totally forked up the electrical system..

b) Somewhere in this thread, and even again not too long ago, I posted about how to take the forks apart for powdercoating..it's not hard:
--------------------------
1) Drain the forks, remove the plug near the bottom of the rear of the fork and remove the top nut from the top of the forks so the air flows through and they drain faster (no kidding, huh?)
2) Take the forks off from the bike (yeah no kidding, huh?)
3) Looking town in to the top of the lower, there's a small clip that comes right out with a small flathead screwdriver.

Name:  DSC05659.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  33.5 KB

4) Turn the forks up-side-down and remove the brass allen-bolt, this bolt holds the lowers to the inner-fork tubes and obviously needs to come out.

Name:  DSC05660.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  21.0 KB

5) Get a buddy, put a towel on the ground with some decent padding. Stand the fork upright on the towel, and have your buddy (or you, whichever) grasp the lower and push downwards onto the towel
6) The other person, grab the inner-fork tube, and push down a little bit, then with as much M-A-N as you can muster, slam the fork upwards.. after a few shots, you will cause the gasket seal inside the lower to come loose, and the inner forks will slide right out.
7) Clean them up and send them to the powdercoater.

..don't be afraid to get nasty with them.. there's no pressure from the springs in the lowers. the springs are housed inside the metal inner forks and will stay compressed through the disassembly.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goatman, I just ordered the BAL3-ST and they called me yesterday and told me about the security problem. Apparently the electronics on the bike check the brake light for a certain resistance in order to verify the correct operation of the brake light. If the resistance is wrong then the computer thinks that a bulb is burnt out or something else is wrong and it will throw a code. The problem with the BAL3-ST is that some modes will cause the bike to throw that code. They told me a fix is out or coming out and might be included in my order but that if I didn't get the fix then several of the modes would still work without tripping a code. I think the ones that would work was three quick flashes then solid, ten quick flashes and then solid, and something else I don't remember. Most of the modes that tripped the code were parade modes. Give them a call and they can help you out I'm sure.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
sandsquid
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Goatman44
Gents,

A couple of questions:
I have the BAL 3 Series Tail Light with license plate light on my bike and it is causing the security light to stay on. Anyone have problems with this?
Also I am going to attempt to disassemble my forks and have them PC. Anyone have a thread link for a detailed layout on the disassembley procedure?
If you have the security system don't you have to get the load balancer when you use LED's?
It's a little rectangle thing that plugs into the electrical system.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sandsquid
If you have the security system don't you have to get the load balancer when you use LED's?
It's a little rectangle thing that plugs into the electrical system.
I am pretty sure that on the 2011 and up there is no need for the load equalizer. I have led signals front and rear and a Led tail light on my 2011 and have had no problems with it. BTW I don't have the BAL so I can't help there.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:49 AM
Goatman44
Intermediate

Thanks for the info guys.
I followed what Fatbob USMC EOD wrote and just changed the settings on the light, so far so good.
Sgt Jim thanks! It is suppose to rain this weekend so the forks will probably come off then. But today it is sunny and 72 degrees and that means it is time to ride.
Thanks again to all that replied.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim

5) Get a buddy, put a towel on the ground with some decent padding. Stand the fork upright on the towel, and have your buddy (or you, whichever) grasp the lower and push downwards onto the towel
And if you don't have anyone that can help, just grab the lower with one hand and the upper slider with the other and treat it like a slide hammer. Give it a couple whacks and you'll feel it start to move the seal & washer. Then ease back a little and a couple whacks later they'll come apart. I never have anybody to help me with with mods, sometimes you have to get creative.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Same kit I have on mine. They used to say it will lower 1.5 to 2" but now I guess it is revised. I never measured the end result. But by looking at the bike and sitting on it you can tell it is lower. I have not bottomed out yet with 3 turns but then again I am riding solo these days.
I'm 198lbs last time I checked, and only ride solo. If you're in the same range and don't have issues riding solo at three turns I should be fine. I'll back them off today and see how it goes. One of these days I'll justify the $$$ for a shotgun shock.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Brutus01
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Let me know how that coil relocation goes, and where/how/if you're going to mount your horn.. i don't want to get rid of my horn, i'm just looking for other ideas on where to mount it and i can't do it on the front bracket between the frame because i've already got something hanging there..so i'm a little short on ideas.

Jim,

Did you relocate your coil and horn yet? I am thinking I am going to do this since I have my bike torn apart for my bars. I may do some powder coating while I am at it as well.

Has anyone mounted the coil a different way then Beasley did? He has the coil wires pointing up.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I fabricated up a bracket out of 1/8" steel, moved the horn and made a bracket for that too out of a piece of flat iron, then ground down the edges and made it nice and good looking.. just gotta do the wiring (which im having a buddy of mine do, since like i said, I hate soldering), and paint it then that's it.. was easier than I had thought it would be

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners