Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the forks are something I wouldn't mess with when it comes to seals.. every manual says to replace the seals every time the forks are taken apart, and it's not a bad idea. It's real easy to take them apart.. remove the allen bolt in the bottom, put a towel on the ground, get a buddy, and hold the forks upright on the towel, get your buddy to hold the fork lowers downwards as hard as he can, and you grab the innards and push down and SLAM the fork tube upwards..it'll come apart with a neat little pop. putting them back together, yeah, PVC pipe that fits over the inner fork tube, but inside the rim of the lower, just hit it down with a hammer around the rim of the pipe. it's no sweat.

and Dave, no problem, just post here or email me if you have any questions about ripping things apart.. it's a lot easier than it seems..it's American after all.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:31 AM
11lofatboy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Ill order some seals.

Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Erick118
Novice

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Erick: When are we onna see some updated pics? I may have to pick yours, Sgt_Jim's and everyone elses brains in about a month when I go to tear mine down. MAYBE. I may just try to swing it when tearing everything apart. My wife is already afraid I am going to lose a part. She worries about things too much; she is going to freak when she sees how much I am actually tearing down the bike...

OH! Found out I am coming home early! Just a couple more weeks to go now.

I posted a couple last week, Page 593 of this thread if I am not mistaken. I dont know how to post them any bigger. I will put up some more later. LOL about your wife freaking out. My wife came out to the garage two months after I drove it home from the dealer,saw it in a pile and just shook her head. I made it up to her and bout her a new Sporty and she forgot all about my pile of parts that used to be a bike!

Glad to here you are comming home, Thank-You

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-1211111817.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-0127121725b.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-0129121536-2-.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-0108121507.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-0208122124d.jpg  

Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

I must have missed it. Internet is spotty out here, so at that time I might not have been able to see the pics (damn boxes with red x's). But I see them now. Nice mods! Did you do your engine covers in wrinkle black or denim black? It is hard to tell if there is any texture from the pics. I am debating denim or gloss black; the latter would require me to also get the oil tank powdered (I am not looking forward to removing that; extreme PITA). I seriously dig those pipes!!

Nice Sporty you got there too. My wife is really diggin the black denim Nightster... Maybe that will be her Christmas present. This year will be my first Christmas home since before we got married in '09.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I must have missed it. Internet is spotty out here, so at that time I might not have been able to see the pics (damn boxes with red x's). But I see them now. Nice mods! Did you do your engine covers in wrinkle black or denim black? It is hard to tell if there is any texture from the pics. I am debating denim or gloss black; the latter would require me to also get the oil tank powdered (I am not looking forward to removing that; extreme PITA). I seriously dig those pipes!!

Nice Sporty you got there too. My wife is really diggin the black denim Nightster... Maybe that will be her Christmas present. This year will be my first Christmas home since before we got married in '09.
Funny my wife liked my Denim black so we went and looked at the Iron and the Nightster because she liked the idea of no chrome. Here is what came home with us. (The Chrome *****) Women, go figure.
Name:  162.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  101.1 KB

Last edited by Misbehaven; 03-04-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Erick118
Novice

Actually in that pic, it was a textured black, I didn’t like it. Also didn’t like it when I powdered coated it in Denim, Since then I have stripped it and repowdered it. I manage a power coat shop so it don't cost me any $$$ when I can’t make up my mind. We do production parts for Harley at my shop so I have all the genuine colors at my disposal.
The rocker boxes, primary, cam and trans covers are wrinkle black now. I just finished an old school style air cleaner cover in Denim black today for it. I think I like it...
Personally I don’t like any of the engine parts in gloss black on the Denim lo, but now that I think about it, they might not look to bad on your Silver scoot...

@ MISBEHAVEN, LOL.. She didnt have a choice, I picked the Iron and she picked the Blue. I thought it was a tough looking little bike not really a "girly" bike. One that I could cruise around on from time to time!

Old 03-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

Well even if the wife didn't like the Iron, I talked my daughter out of buying a 650 Ninja and getting a 2012 denim Iron.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain

Erik,

How much trouble is it to take the rocker covers off for PCing? I assume you have to remove the tank but I just didn't know if it is a big pain.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member

I like the look of the upper rocker covers done in black. I really didn't want to do much more black on my bike as I like the contrast but the covers are looking more tempting. By the time I get home again it will be riding weather so I guess it will have to wait for next winter. With what little time I have at home these days I want to ride when it's nice out and not spend time wrenching or waiting on powder coating. I need to retire again. LOL

Old 03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So Misbehaven, be honest. Is there any bedazzling done to your wife's bike?

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners