Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 06:49 PM
bjschubert
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by davidwruth
If your half as pleased as I am money well spent. Are you getting any tuner as well?
I'm doing a heavy breather and tuning so a stage 1.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well once again Vance and Hines has delayed the release of the next batch of BSS. I talked to Fuel Moto today and they are going to go ahead and ship me the air cleaner so I can at least get that done and not have so much to do when the pipes and tuner get here. It's tough to fit in bike work when you have an eight month old infant. Right now I'm waiting for her to go to bed so I can put on my new RSD Chrono grips. They look pretty good in the package.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sooooo those O2 Adapters are looking better and better, eh?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about that. I'll tell you what though, if I didn't have my deluxe sac and it wasn't doing such a great job by itself the wait would be a whole lot more aggravating. Hopefully it will be worth it. I'm mostly waiting so I can get everything though Fuel Moto and hopefully that will be worth it too. I'll be coming up on my 5000 mile service soon so I guess if nothing else I might just decide to do the transmission side cover, exhaust, and service all at the same time. On the other hand if I do the cover now I'll just have a few more miles on the transmission fluid before it gets changed again. Hmm

Old 02-28-2012, 11:16 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Thanks to some help from Sgt_Jim I have changed air cleaners. I'm gonna run it for a while to be sure I like it, so I might have a SE HB PC'd satin black for sale in the near future. Time to update the sig pic again...

Bill, that looks great! After seeing yours, Sgt_Jim's and HoggyMtnBreakdown's (maybe one of the best looking FBs I have seen) it is decided then, I am definitely doing this as well! It's a cheap, really good looking alternative to the $100 AC covers they sell. I need to find a way to add some red to it though, just a very slight touch of red.

So how did you go about doing it? Could the whole thing be done with a Dremel with a cut-off disc and then a sanding attachment? What did you do to clean up the bare metal edges left after cutting and smoothing the edges?

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Sooooo those O2 Adapters are looking better and better, eh?
Still no luck, eh? I seriously would snag them if I had the extra change. Did you list them in the classifieds yet, or are you not in a real hurry to offload them?

Old 02-28-2012, 11:35 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Bill, that looks great! After seeing yours, Sgt_Jim's and HoggyMtnBreakdown's (maybe one of the best looking FBs I have seen) it is decided then, I am definitely doing this as well! It's a cheap, really good looking alternative to the $100 AC covers they sell. I need to find a way to add some red to it though, just a very slight touch of red.

So how did you go about doing it? Could the whole thing be done with a Dremel with a cut-off disc and then a sanding attachment? What did you do to clean up the bare metal edges left after cutting and smoothing the edges?
Per Jim I followed Mud's procedure

I used an air cutoff wheel to cut and then a bench grinder and a file to finish off the edge. I nicked it in a couple places and of course the edge needed paint, so good old John Deere Blitz Black finished it off around the edges.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Per Jim I followed Mud's procedure

I used an air cutoff wheel to cut and then a bench grinder and a file to finish off the edge. I nicked it in a couple places and of course the edge needed paint, so good old John Deere Blitz Black finished it off around the edges.
Awesome! Thanks for the link! I don't have a bench grinder, but I'll try my luck with the dremel and a vice.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Awesome! Thanks for the link! I don't have a bench grinder, but I'll try my luck with the dremel and a vice.
I'm not in a huge hurry to offload the pipes, though I could use the extra cash..

anyways, you don't really need a vice. the dremel tool with a reinforced cutting wheel chewed through the cover like butter since it's a soft aluminum. I used a hand file with some patience and got mine nice and smooth. i felt i had better control with a hand file rather than using a bench grinder or anything like that.. and if you want to add a touch of red..when you go to paint the edge, what do you think about keeping the tape on, and do the edge red?

Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
and if you want to add a touch of red..when you go to paint the edge, what do you think about keeping the tape on, and do the edge red?
I thought about that. I also thought about maybe doing a real thin pinstripe right on the inside and outside edges of the gloss black plactic ring on the cover. I am trying to think of ways to ad a little touch of color to the bike. I picked up a coil relocation kit with the red wires, so I need a little something to go with the red. I even considered putting the red reflectors on the sissy bar when I get it powdered and put back on. CONSIDERED, but not sure yet.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:58 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Let me know how that coil relocation goes, and where/how/if you're going to mount your horn.. i don't want to get rid of my horn, i'm just looking for other ideas on where to mount it and i can't do it on the front bracket between the frame because i've already got something hanging there..so i'm a little short on ideas.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners