Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 PM
Grinchman
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Grinchman, I did a little searching and using these terms: windshield aux light bar, I think the 5th or 6th thread down might answer your question. From the sounds of it the problem is that the brackets for a detachable windshield that will work with aux lights is a little wider to fit the brackets from the aux lights. So you can make a aux light fitting windshield work on a bike without the lights by using shimms. If you are trying to fit a regular windshield with aux lights you would have to bend the brackets outward (and/or) get longer bolts so you can fit the aux light hardware.
Thanks a lot! I searched for auxiliary lights, which made the difference. Got now the answer I have been looking for.

Cheers

Matt

Old 02-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Grinchman
Stage IV
Smile

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
@Grinchman

I can't speak on these new parts, everything I used was the older stuff and pieced together at that. All I can say is there is a definite difference in width between the shields for aux lights and those without. The aux lights I used add an extra 2" or so to the total width across the front end.

For these newer parts I'd assume they would say if they are for use with aux lights or not. The traditional king size shields were different for with or w/o aux kits in the catalogs, pretty easy to get the right one.

According to your part numbers, the original one you bought will not work with aux lights. The new part number you gave is for aux kit and as you are finding you can't buy just the hardware new from HD.

You could always sell your original shield to help pay for the new one. Other than that, go with any king sized shield designed for aux light kits and buy off ebay for less than dealer prices. The shield I run now I got for $100 shipped and was in almost perfect condition.
There is no Ebay here in Egypt :-( Additionally transporting the large windshiled by plane is pain!
In between a dealer contacted me after reading my post - not sure though if 295 bucks for just the mounting hardware is a such a good deal...

Looks like I am going to keep an eye on ebay in Europe for some solution, if a good deal for a windshield with aux light brackets comes up - all the better

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

Matt

Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeahhhhh just got an email from my powdercoater yesterday, he finally got his shop up and running and is finishing up the december backorders, then there's two january orders prior to mine, and he should get to my stuff by Wednesday, which means I should get it back by this Friday, or maybe Monday at the latest. Aside from being excited about that, I just bought a new gun too :-D S&W M&P 340, .357 magnum..its smaller than my .45, so I should be able to mount it on the bike easier..oh wait..I'm from Jersey..nevermind.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:46 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to get some new grips. I'm looking at getting the Roland Sands Design Tracker grips. My problem is deciding what finish I want to get. I know for sure that the Black Ops finish would look fine but I can't help being drawn to the brass grips. I guess my question is would they look odd being the only thing brass on the bike. I might eventually get matching shifter pegs in brass but that would probably be it. I'll be getting the trackers one way or the other but I figured I'd get some input here since the brass keeps calling to me for some reason.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:34 AM
TNB
Road Master

Talk about timing. While getting new tires mounted today, I noticed the local HD dealer was stocking more Roland Sands products.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Sgt_Jim, did you ever figure out your tank lift problem? After looking at it for a minute I say just leave off the rear tank lift. You may lose some accuracy of your fuel guage, but I would take that over bending up the front of tour seat any day.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Sgt_Jim, did you ever figure out your tank lift problem? After looking at it for a minute I say just leave off the rear tank lift. You may lose some accuracy of your fuel guage, but I would take that over bending up the front of tour seat any day.
Yeah.. actually come to find out the "deluxe" kit from DK Customs isn't made for most Softails these days.. I didn't know that, and nor did they coincidentally.. Kevin @ DK Customs gave a fairly decent write up about what went wrong in the thread "to lift or not to lift"

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...t-to-lift.html

Anyways, I took the spacer they sent me (1/2"), and chopped it a little larger than in half..so something between 1/4" and 1/6", so I still get a partial lift in the rear, but the seat slides back on perfectly without issues.. DKCustoms actually sent me a refund on the product since they didn't know I wouldn't be able to use it. Great customer service right there! The biggest issue, with TNB pointed out, is that a lot is exposed around the horn and the engine mount on that side of the bike.. may be worth it to pull the mount off and paint it black or something.. mine is oxidized pretty badly, so i'd have to do some serious scrubbing on it first..and the second biggest issue is that once the tank is lifted up, you really see how dirty it is under there.. there were a ton of dead bugs up under the tank and stuck on the rocker boxes where I can't reach..along with some of the bolts being oxidized again..but some simple green and a stiff toothbrush took most of it off.

As for accuracy of the gauge, it's going to be off as it is, because you're lifting the front of the tank up and pushing more fuel towards the rear..they put warnings about that everywhere, but most people who have lifted said it's not a huge difference. I only did the 1.5" lift and I think it looks really good (I'd rather have the 2" lift, but i don't have the clearance with the Streetslammers).

When I get her back outside...whenever that'll be since Mother Nature decided to stop PMSing and actually bring on some winter..I'll take some better pictures..

Old 02-19-2012, 09:13 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Sweet, glad everything worked out. Can't wait to see it; it may convince me to do something similar I figure I am going to be changing up enough stuff when I get back, why not, right? But we will see.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 AM
Voodoo509
6th Gear
Default Vance and Hines Fuel Pak

I have been reading about all you guys with the PCV and PV. I was wondering if anyone has gone with the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak and how you like that? My buddy has the fuel pak on his street bob and he likes it so I figured for the easy install and configuration I would go with it.... thoughts?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:22 AM
Fierofly
Tourer

Originally Posted by Voodoo509
I have been reading about all you guys with the PCV and PV. I was wondering if anyone has gone with the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak and how you like that? My buddy has the fuel pak on his street bob and he likes it so I figured for the easy install and configuration I would go with it.... thoughts?
I'm guessing YOU've done your homework on the Power Vision? I'm just now starting to play with it's capabilities. I've installed some cams and have been doing some tuning runs. I can change the way the bike runs anytime (takes about 2min), anyplace, Economy or performance. A little complicated to do the tune logs at first till you get used to the process. Much better then paying a Dyno everytime!!!

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners