Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutus01
Dang! I was planning on getting Namz extensions for when my bars come in and I do the install. Now I am not sure what I should do since I didn't wire it the first time and I don't know how or if they will work.

Anyone have any ideas on this problem?
You will probably just have 2 dead, unused wires on the extensions. Shouldn't be a big deal at all. If the dealership did it like I am planning on doing it, they probably just extended the signal wires at the source, which means the Namz extensions just won't be connected to anything where the signal wires would normally be plugged in. You will still use the exact same connectors and everything, but the 1 prong in the connector where the signal wire should have been just won't be powering anything. You know what I mean?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BigRedFan74, I think what you are talking about is the rear cylinder deactivation. Harley calls it the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy feature. Here is what the Harley website has to say on it " With the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (EITMS) feature, the motorcycle automatically cuts fuel and fire from rear cylinder when idling, which helps reduce engine heat felt by rider and passenger. This feature can easily be turned on by your dealer. " I'm not sure how it works with softails but my guess is that it comes on automatically somehow when the bike is idling. Of course this assumes that you have had the dealer turn the feature on. From what I understand the touring bikes can turn it on and off at will by rolling the throttle all the forward or something like that. I've not had a chance to try it yet so I'm not sure if it works very well. Hope that helps.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
BigRedFan74, I think what you are talking about is the rear cylinder deactivation. Harley calls it the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy feature. Here is what the Harley website has to say on it " With the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (EITMS) feature, the motorcycle automatically cuts fuel and fire from rear cylinder when idling, which helps reduce engine heat felt by rider and passenger. This feature can easily be turned on by your dealer. " I'm not sure how it works with softails but my guess is that it comes on automatically somehow when the bike is idling. Of course this assumes that you have had the dealer turn the feature on. From what I understand the touring bikes can turn it on and off at will by rolling the throttle all the forward or something like that. I've not had a chance to try it yet so I'm not sure if it works very well. Hope that helps.
instead of pulling the throttle back, roll it forward, it should move just a bit (enough to notice it)..if your rear cylinder cuts out, you know it's active

Old 01-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

Jim, I think the rider controlled EITMS is only available for touring bikes. The quote I put in my other post is from the Lo's page on Harley's site. This quote is from the page for the Road King Classic "With the Engine Idle Temperature Management Strategy (EITMS) feature, the motorcycle automatically cuts fuel and fire from the rear cylinder when idling, which helps reduce engine heat felt by rider and passenger. Best part, you can easily turn this feature on or off yourself whenever the bike is stopped." The Lo's specifically mentioned the dealer turning it on and the system functioning automatically, whereas the Road Kings specifically says it's user controlled. I would hope your right though since this feature is something I'm interested in since I'm in Florida now and I'd rather be able to control it myself.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:00 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

If the EITMS is enabled on your bike it will activate when the head temps reach a certain temp. Sit long enough at a light on a warm day and you will soon know if you have it or not. My bike goes into rear cylinder shut down after a few min in stopped traffic. Never has it bothered me and when I take off the bike feels just as strong as ever. BTW I really don't notice any reduction in heat for rider comfort. It's still just plain hot.

Last edited by Misbehaven; 01-17-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:21 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

So it doesn't sound like it's really worth it. I'm hoping to get an oil bud this year before it gets too hot. It's supposed to work really well but then it's pretty expensive too.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 PM
stanggt66
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I'd take the Maloo all day long. The only 2 channels i watch on US television are Comedy Central and BBC America..Particularly Top Gear.. and often enough they have the Maloo or the VXR8 on it.. gorgeous vehicles.. though the VXR8 is just a similar-designed Pontiac G6 with the Corvette LS3 Supercharged V8.. The new Camaro has horrible handling and a bad interior (in my opinion).. most new american muscle cars do.. its a way to keep the price down.

Moreso than the Vauxhall's.. i'd sooner take some of them Australian women. :-D

Hey Guys,
thought id put my 2 cents in

There is a rumor that our new "Monaro" basically a 2 door VXR8 is going to be your Camaro rebadged, From what I hear they are basically the same underneath and alot of the parts for the Camaro are made over here in aus so it could be true. (few other forums talking about it)

As for my Aus muscle car choice its the opposide offering from Ford Australia the GT Falcon that never seems to make it on any of the top gear shows unfortunately if it did i would have alot more to brag about to my GM mates.
They teach you from birth here in aus that your Ford or Holden thats why im ford but i would not say no to the camaro if they did start selling here very good looking ride. saying that I dont know how they will sell them as they are like 30k US and will prob sell them for 70k here!

PAFC64 / Rick what state you based in?

Its a sunny 25 deg here in SA

SGT Jim not all the women here are like that unfortunately..... just most of them

Mark

Old 01-18-2012, 08:36 AM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
So it doesn't sound like it's really worth it. I'm hoping to get an oil bud this year before it gets too hot. It's supposed to work really well but then it's pretty expensive too.
I had the dealer turn my EITMS on. I think it's worth it. It didn't cost me anything, and all it could do by being turned on is help, not hurt.
I also went with the RJs Originals heat shields. They work well and they blend well with the looks of the bike, and I get a lot of complements on them.
They don't just look like some random piece of plastic or leather heat shield that was thrown on the bike to just do their job and not look good.

Here's the website for the heatshield:
http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/newSelect0010.htm

If your thinking of a oil cooler have you looked at these?
http://www.ultracoolfl.com/
When I was researching them I looked at the Oil Bud which looks like a good product but this did about the same and was smaller and costs less and you didn't need to unattach it when you change the fluids. The only problem for me is it is not for 2011-2012 softails with ABS brakes. The front ABS brake solonoid is now where they put the oil cooler.

Last edited by Jester750; 01-18-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Fatboy Todd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jester750
I had the dealer turn my EITMS on. I think it's worth it. It didn't cost me anything, and all it could do by being turned on is help, not hurt.
I also went with the RJs Originals heat shields. They work well and they blend well with the looks of the bike, and I get a lot of complements on them.
They don't just look like some random piece of plastic or leather heat shield that was thrown on the bike to just do their job and not look good.

Here's the website for the heatshield:
http://www.rjsoriginals.bizland.com/newSelect0010.htm

If your thinking of a oil cooler have you looked at these?
http://www.ultracoolfl.com/
When I was researching them I looked at the Oil Bud which looks like a good product but this did about the same and was smaller and costs less and you didn't need to unattach it when you change the fluids. The only problem for me is it is not for 2011-2012 softails with ABS brakes. The front ABS brake solonoid is now where they put the oil cooler.
Does anyone know how the dealer turns it on / off? Can it be done via the SEPro tuner?

Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fatboy Todd
Does anyone know how the dealer turns it on / off? Can it be done via the SEPro tuner?
The dealer does it via computer through the ECM's diagnostic port.
I don't know about the SEPro tuner but I know for a fact that the Dynojet Power Vision can turn it off and on.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners