Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
rojuwi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered bars from BR custom with 1 1/4" at the risers and he knurled them. I would want them knurled just for the extra grip. You can't have too much grip.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Bruce2383
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Lone wolf lo 10
A lot of people on here bought the smoked LED tail lamps, I removed the tail lamp assemble and spayed it with spray tint, taped it up and did lite coats until I got it dark, but not enough to where I'm not seen
Much appreciated, I will give it a try!

Old 01-16-2012, 11:02 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bauer4567
So I just got in touch with Hill Country Customs. Like I mentioned earlier, I remember the conversation when I ordered the bars about the knurling. Anyhow, they told me now that NOONE makes a true 1 1/4" bar (1 1/4" at the risers), with knurling because the extra surface area eliminates the need for knurling... Now, I know this not to be completely true from my searchings online, but anyway, I called out to LA Choppers. LA Choppers also said that the 1 1/4" bars with 1" riser area HAVE the knurling, but the true 1 1/4" bars do NOT have knurling as it is not necessary.

Anyone here have experience with 1 1/4" apes around here? My thoughts are this... I mount them up with the stock risers. If I have a problem with slippage, I can change out the risers for a riser set with more surface area, like a full top clamp... I am now being told by two different places that the 1 1/4" bars do not need the knurling...
That whole thing about the 1 1/4" bars having more surface area and do not require knurling... BULL ****! I have LA Choppers 16" bars (1 1/4") on mine and they have slipped twice! Both times was when I was taking off from a stoplight; scared the living **** out of me the first time. A buddy of mine is taking care of the bike while I am deployed and he said they slipped on him once too.

I am seriously considering changing out the risers for ones with a top clamp, "pinning" the bars, or adding a sand cloth shim around the bars where the risers clamp down. Pinning is probably the best idea, but it is also the one that requires the most work. Oh well. Come April and I will try to figure it all out...

Old 01-16-2012, 11:30 PM
TNB
Road Master

Had the bushings changed, the risers changed, and went to a single top clamp. All things recommended by the local dealer.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 AM
DazednFLA1
Stage II

I'm getting a 2012 Fat Boy Lo this week. I got the dealer to throw in a sissy bar and pad. I wanted the Softail Custom style sissy bar. Dave that started this thread said that was what his sissy bar was. The guy at the parts counter brought out the Softail Custom bar and the larger round style bar listed under the Fat Boy Lo parts. Clearly the Softail Custom one was way to narrow. Should it have had this much of a difference or did he look up the wrong one? But if you look at the Softail Custom sissy bar parts list it has the same part number as the Fat Boy Lo for the larger sissy bar. I'm going to have to bring this to their attention and see if they can look at them again.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 AM
TNB
Road Master

After I first ordered a sissybar and it arrived, everyone else quickly learned there was a mistake in the catalog. They actually found several mistakes in the catalog after that. Not saying the same thing could have happened to you...

Old 01-17-2012, 03:05 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by DazednFLA1
I'm getting a 2012 Fat Boy Lo this week. I got the dealer to throw in a sissy bar and pad. I wanted the Softail Custom style sissy bar. Dave that started this thread said that was what his sissy bar was. The guy at the parts counter brought out the Softail Custom bar and the larger round style bar listed under the Fat Boy Lo parts. Clearly the Softail Custom one was way to narrow. Should it have had this much of a difference or did he look up the wrong one? But if you look at the Softail Custom sissy bar parts list it has the same part number as the Fat Boy Lo for the larger sissy bar. I'm going to have to bring this to their attention and see if they can look at them again.
I bought the same one Dave has. I have yet to get it powdercoated but it fits. It is the Softail Custom sissy bar. The dealer probably brought you out the pre-2007 one. 2007 and above has the 200mm tire and is wider.

I would recommend looking on eBay and stuff to get it used, you are most likely gonna powdercoat it anyways, right? So what's it matter what condition it is in? You will save more money this way. I got mine from someone on here in the classifieds for about $120 (can't exactly remember) and it came with a brand new backrest pad as well.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:41 AM
Fatboylorider
Intermediate
Default Fun,fun,fun!!!!!

Cruzin in the White Mountains!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-260017_1913940445599_1154569721_31886435_4665482_n-copy-copy.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 08:03 AM
Brutus01
Road Captain

I finally got a chance to post some pics of my latest mods. The pics are kind of crappy since they are from my cell phone. The pics are of my Lindby crash bar, HD LED headlight, bags and Custom Dynamics integrated tail light and front signals. The tail light is just a pic of the running light (brake not activated). Just waiting on my BR bars now. Carlini risers should be here Friday.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-headlight-and-crash-bar.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-headlight-and-signals.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-led-tail-light.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-right-side-bag.jpg  
Old 01-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Fatboy Todd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lone wolf lo 10
Ok, all this talk about people riding with warmer weather got to me, went for a scoot to my sons karate class, just a nice 34 deg ride
How do you like your Street Slammers? I'm looking at a pair of those or some 6" pull back risers to save a little $ instead. Not sure how I like the look of the stock bars with the risers. Once thing I do know is that I need some pull back to stop the pain.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners