Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Voodoo509
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That helps Fatbob. I can't wait to get started. My wife says I have to wait till after taxes to buy anything new so I still have like a month but I am definitely looking forward to it.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you referring to the footpeg being a part of the exhaust? because it isn't.. be sure to invest in the Service Manual, it'll save your life. Anyways, the passenger page is held on by a C-clip and a pin, remove those to get to a torx head bolt within the black tube..you'll need a deep torx bit to get to it (T-45 i think..maybe 40).. that's the only thing that holds the peg on.

the actual pipes are held to the bike by i think 2 bolts.. the service manual (pages 4-37 and 4-38) say to disassemble the pipes as they're on the bike.. removing the heat shields (several hose clamps on the back of them), then remove the pipe clamps that hold the mufflers to the exhaust pipes and slide the mufflers off, then do a bunch of other crap..i just removed the two bolts that held the pipes to the frame, unbolted the header flanges from the motor, and just pulled them straight off

See the two holes at the bottom of the black bracket? That's all that holds the pipes to your bike. (aside from the flanges to the headers, obviously).. as far as the mounting bracket for the Short-Shots go, it will come with its own bracket that will re-mount back in to the existing holes using the existing bolts. don't forget to loc-tite them..

speaking of exhausts..i should really start getting ready to sell my BSS's and maybe even the stock exhaust..someone might want the damn thing, and I could use the coin.

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 01-03-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Voodoo509
6th Gear

Thank you Sgt Jim. That Picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

No problem. Do you have a '11 model? If so, I'm fixing to put up a set of V&H Bigshots Staggered Blacks for sale, fairly decent price probably too, and only 1500 miles run through them. Not the short-shots, but if they strike your fancy, hit me up

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 01-03-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Voodoo509
6th Gear

I have a 2010 but it should be the same. I may be interested depending on the price. Also, do you have any idea on how much shipping will be on this if I were to purchase this? Thank You

Old 01-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah mine's a 2010 also, the 10's and 11's are the same, 12's have different O2 sensors..and honestly I have no idea. I'd imagine not as much as you'd think..i've shipped some heavy items before (30 or so pounds) and it only ran like $35-45 shipping from UPS. I was like "Wtf? really? that's all?" Well they're not going anywhere, unless i get antsy in my pantsy and want to sell them sooner, so let me know down the line a bit

Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

SGT Jim, you are gonna have to let me know how you cut your air cleaner like that. What did you use to cut the circle out? Do they make a holesaw that big? It looks pretty damn slick.

I plan on picking up a big sucker air cleaner soon (I have nothing to do on my free time out here except shop for stuff for my bike and my wife...) and I seriously like the look of how you did the cover. Looks really clean. Did you also do the dealer download as well of do you have the PCV or something? Cost?

I am telling you, the longer I am out here, the longer my wishlist gets...

Old 01-03-2012, 10:58 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

SGT Jim, you are gonna have to let me know how you cut your air cleaner like that. What did you use to cut the circle out? Do they make a holesaw that big? It looks pretty damn slick.

I plan on picking up a big sucker air cleaner soon (I have nothing to do on my free time out here except shop for stuff for my bike and my wife...) and I seriously like the look of how you did the cover. Looks really clean. Did you also do the dealer download as well of do you have the PCV or something? Cost?

I am telling you, the longer I am out here, the longer my wishlist (AKA "eventually buy list") gets...

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 01-03-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:27 AM
Deadanimal
Tourer

Likin the look!
Originally Posted by dizzy1450
New exhaust installed today.

Getting ready to sell my V&H 3" slip-ons. PM me if you're interested.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool dipstick

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Thanks for mailing the new dipstick so quickly Willie D. It came this afternoon. Unfortunately in my haste to get the old dipstick out I pulled too hard and ended up slinging a little oil on my bike. I think I got it "all" with a rag and some denim paint cleaner I've definitely learned to be more careful when removing the dipstick.
DB- that is one of the reasons I bought the level/Temp Dipstick. . . now you don't have to remove to check it.

Looks like you are having some cold weather now you know what I have to deal with here in Michigan. . . .

Ride Safe, WD

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners