Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 10:52 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

Well, I guess I am doing black fork lowers on my Lo now. I was riding today and a piece of metal pipe about 2' long was thrown up in the air towards me after the car in front of me ran it over. The pipe hit my right upper fork cover then hit my right knee. The upper fork cover was smashed and then scratched the fork lower when it traveled up into the upper cover. My knee took a pretty good hit (I was going about 60 mph when it hit me), but I am just glad nothing else on the bike was hit. When I saw blood coming through my jeans I thought I would be going to the hospital for some stitches, but a little ice and some pain killers and all will be ok. Going to price out the black lowers and gloss black upper covers tomorrow.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear you are Ok. It sounds like it could've been a lot worse. I'm always a little worried in the back of my mind about being able to keep the bike up in that kind of situation. It sounds like a good enough reason to me to do the lowers. Can you post some pics of the damage and was the headlight damaged at all?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:29 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedNose44
Well, I guess I am doing black fork lowers on my Lo now.
Glad to hear you are okay as well. Already saw one bike crashed on the road today with at least 5 highway patrol around the scene. Don't know the specifics other than the bike was loaded up on a wrecker and the patrol was taking measurements.

If you are going to replace the lowers, perhaps an upgrade mod might be an idea as well. Ricor really appears to have helped the ride on my bike.

Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks for the replies. I will try and get some pics up tomorrow. The headlight was not hit (nothing but the upper fork cover and my knee). I am really surprised that nothing else was hit actually. I am lucky I guess that it was not my face that was hit. Could have been bad especially with the wife on the back. I am going to look at parts tomorrow, and will check my options on other upgrades. Thanks again for the kind words...

Old 01-02-2012, 12:12 AM
Brutus01
Road Captain

If you are going to replace the lowers, perhaps an upgrade mod might be an idea as well. Ricor really appears to have helped the ride on my bike.[/quote]

Is it worth doing the Ricors only? I really want a shotgun but I have some other mods to pay for first so it will be a while, possibly next year.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Glade to see your ok, that could have been much worse. Hope all goes well with the new uppers and lowers.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:10 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RedNose44
When I saw blood coming through my jeans I thought I would be going to the hospital for some stitches, but a little ice and some pain killers and all will be ok. Going to price out the black lowers and gloss black upper covers tomorrow.
Another reason why I don't like riding behind cars/trucks. Glad yur Ok, bike parts can always be replaced.

Happy New Year

Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by Brutus01
Is it worth doing the Ricors only? I really want a shotgun but I have some other mods to pay for first so it will be a while, possibly next year.
I'd say yes even though I put the Shotgun Shocks on first. Ricor also had a discounted price going on though I do not know if it is still available. They told me they sell the heck out of them to dirt bike owners. Ricor is also developing a new rear shock for the softail. On my bike, he told me the front rode better than the rear though I mentioned we could add more air in the rear for him.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Toledofatboy
Advanced

For all you guys trimming your tail lights off to get the magnetic covers on your sissy bar mounts, there is another solution. I took a tapered round file and filed a "V" shaped groove in the magnetic cover. Take it slow and trial fit several times. The cove now goes on without having to trim the tail light. I trimmed the brackets on the sissy bar mount to clear the tail light. Works great! Happy New Year everyone!

Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Here are a couple pics. You can see in the second pic that it actually deformed the cover (making it flat at the bottom) causing it to rub on the fork lower. I was able to bend it away from the lower a little before I rode home, but it still scratched the lower. If you unload the suspension more, you can see the scratch gets worse as it goes up further into the cover. Not the best pics, but you get the idea of what happened.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-dsc01274small.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-dsc01277small.jpg  

Last edited by RedNose44; 01-02-2012 at 12:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners