Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:00 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
haha i could..i'm not going that crazy though. I'm having the clutch housing cover done, the front wheel spacers, some pieces off of my windshield, my brake pedal, the shift linkage, the shifter lever, and a new (new to me) exhaust i'm putting on there.
That should finish up the black, I'm guessing.

Not sure what direction I'll be going this winter. Thinking that if all goes well after Christmas a Visit to FuelMoto for a 107 Kit with cams and head work. Depends as Feb - May have always been a slow time of the year for me.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
rojuwi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Christmas arrived today! New BR custom bars. Now I need some help from you guys. I've done bar swaps on sportys before so I know the basics but can anyone link me to a thread with step by steps of a bar swap on a soft ail? I appreciate it and will get some pics up when I'm done.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
That should finish up the black, I'm guessing.

Not sure what direction I'll be going this winter. Thinking that if all goes well after Christmas a Visit to FuelMoto for a 107 Kit with cams and head work. Depends as Feb - May have always been a slow time of the year for me.
about 2 weeks ago or so I went to my local bike shop guy (not HD) and was asking about how much it costs to get the heads ported and how much it would cost to get a set of cams installed..just ballparking.. he said roughly $2500, since they send the heads to S&S to be done, and they charge a boatload for labor..then I got to talking about the 107 and he said he has a customer with a 96" who's getting ready to put the FuelMoto 107" in, and would let me know how it is when he's done (if i ever remember to ask)..but then he threw out there that the full 107" kit that comes with the TW-555's is, dollar for dollar, a much better investment than just a set of cams alone, even though he says you should still get your heads ported to compensate for the bigger intake and exhaust. I told myself though that I am going to wait until I'm at least at 15,000 miles before I do any major engine work like that..

on a side note, I just replaced my exhaust gaskets..i thought it would be a pain in the ***..but it was actually really simple.. didn't need a pick or anything, just a pair of channel locks to pull the old ones out, a little oil around the rims of the new ones, and they popped right in..about a 5 minute job. not bad.

and on a further side note.. removing the clutch housing cover was incredibly simple to do as well..just remember to make marks on your clutch cable lock nuts for when you have to reinstall everything

Old 12-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Youngneg
Tourer

Pics!!! Rojuwi.....Pics.....

Old 12-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rojuwi
My Christmas arrived today! New BR custom bars. Now I need some help from you guys. I've done bar swaps on sportys before so I know the basics but can anyone link me to a thread with step by steps of a bar swap on a soft ail? I appreciate it and will get some pics up when I'm done.
Okay, here's what I remember from putting my StreetSlammers on:

1) a tip: If you're in the least bit good with a soldering iron, cut the damn pin housings off and just solder the ends of the wires together. Unless you know how to get the pins out of the housings easily, it'll save you at least an hour.

2) Remove your console (or just loosen it and let it hang off to the side), then loosen up your gas tank so that it can be lifted up a few inches so you can actually get TO those pin housings i mentioned, which are located under the fuel tank

3) remove the tins around the headlamp.. the 2 bolts on each side, the 3 bolts on the back, and then you may want to unplug your headlight (from under the tank), and take the front panel and the headlight off together.. the headlight is only held on by 1 bolt through some steel square thingie

4) drain your front brake line, and make sure that's empty. then remove the front brake line from the master cylinder

5) loosen up your clutch cable. though if you're putting on BR bars, you can probably just cut the clutch cable, since you probably have a new one

6) loosen up your throttle and return cables on the right grip (the locknuts are under that rubber boot thingie).. once they're loosened up, the whole switch housing are held on by a couple of T25(?) and T27 torx screws.. loosen them up and take them off, and the throttle grip should slide right off.

7) remove the clutch side housings the same way..really though you can just skip to step 8, since all the wiring is internal, and if you can get the bars off the bike, you'll have more angles to work from, etc etc..

8) by now, your bars should only be realistically connected to the rest of the bike by the 2 riser bolts. Unless you plan to reuse the rises, you can just unbolt them from below, and take the handlebars and the rises off together.. then the bars should be off.

that's about it.

So here's what I learned tonight.. and what I was reminded of from last year:

Reminded: Front forks. Okay, there is absolutely no pressure from the spring between the upper forks and the lowers (for those who want to disassemble theirs for powdercoating or whatever). That is really easy to take apart.

Learned: All the pressure is in that inner fork tube, and that summamabitch has a bit of pressure to it. Not enough to go flying through the ceiling, but enough to smack the crap out of my hand and arm and send the top filler cap flying across the basement and ricocheting off the cat. (she's fine.). But for anyone who wants to do a drop-in lowering kit, all you have to do is remove that top cap..no need to disassemble the whole fork. Just remember to take the bolt out from the bottom that holds the damper in place. And if you can't get those top caps loose, try using a heat gun.. 30 seconds on high heat and it came apart very easily...just hold on to that cap. that's all.. 1 more thing off the list!

Old 12-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The moving trucks all loaded and the bike is strapped down on the trailer. I'll be heading down to Florida tomorrow. Not much riding for the next week so which sucks because the weather is supposed to be good but I'll get a few more odds and ends to put on the bike. Well, I'll put them on the bike when I get far enough through the new massive move in honey do-now list.
The weather was awesome today which would have made for some awesome riding.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Florida? that's year-round riding down there.. too bad everyone else either drives like an idiot, or is 91 years old and blind

Old 12-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sgt Jim, how do you like those Big Shots Staggered pipes? I've been considering them instead of the D&D fatcat since it seems like they might have fewer scraping issues and still provide plenty of clearance for bags. How do you like the sound and how loud is it with whatever baffles you have? I'll probably get the quiet baffles if I get them.

Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 AM
turd fergussen
Tourer

Originally Posted by rojuwi
here's a pretty good write up

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-fatboylo.html

post some pics!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:59 AM
Ferrari
Stage I

Hi everybody,

Iīm from Brazil and just bought a pre-owned 2011 white Fat Boy Special, a version of the Lo for the international markets.

I live in Rio de Janeiro, and Last Saturday I took a plane to Sao Paulo the get the bike, and came back home riding it. Itīs about 300 miles and was great to get used to the new toy.

I had a ī09 Dyna FXD (in fact I still have it, but need to sell quickly to help me paying the new bike) and just loved the smooth ride. Itīs hard to describe, but it seems the Lo rides more connected to the road than the FXD. On Sunday afternoon I took a short ride around Copacabana and Ipanema beaches, and itīs amazing how much attention this bike grabs. Letīs hope my wife doesn’t read this…

The previous owner already installed a SE air cleaner, Short Shots, SERT and it was dyno tuned, and now Iīm checking this forum to see what mods Iīll copy from you guys.

Regards,
F.

Name:  s_MLB_v_F_f_213406102_7534.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  91.0 KB

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners