Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM
stevemaman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi there. name is steve maman . i went from ferrari to harley davidson 's .... i want to build and modify a softail . any suggestions on wether to start on a 2009 night train or the fatboy low black ?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:20 AM
TNB
Road Master

Originally Posted by stevemaman
hi there. name is steve maman . i went from ferrari to harley davidson 's .... i want to build and modify a softail . any suggestions on wether to start on a 2009 night train or the fatboy low black ?
Did you sell the 2005 Night Train, the 2006 Night Train and the 2009 Street Bob? I know which one I started modifying; however, I haven't owned any Night Trains or been through as many HD's as you apparently have.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:03 PM
bauer4567
Tourer

Can anyone point me to a link on the forum here on the process of remove lower fork tubes on my lo. I know HD has the black kit, but I have some other parts im going to be taking down to the PCer and would like to add this to the lot... I have remove complete front ends on my older metrics, and cut springs on them to lower them, but never had the Los front end apart. It appears that the covers coming down from the top of the fork which are black from the factory are more or less that... a cover. Is this correct? Or are they more functional than I am thinking? Anyway, I am interested in any links yall can come up with. I am pretty good with google (hell, it basically got me my college degree), but I have not been able to find what im looking for.
Thanks.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guess who's selling their Lo its listed in the classified thread?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:09 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bauer4567
Can anyone point me to a link on the forum here on the process of remove lower fork tubes on my lo. I know HD has the black kit, but I have some other parts im going to be taking down to the PCer and would like to add this to the lot... I have remove complete front ends on my older metrics, and cut springs on them to lower them, but never had the Los front end apart. It appears that the covers coming down from the top of the fork which are black from the factory are more or less that... a cover. Is this correct? Or are they more functional than I am thinking? Anyway, I am interested in any links yall can come up with. I am pretty good with google (hell, it basically got me my college degree), but I have not been able to find what im looking for.
Thanks.
Id like to see a link as well. Sounds like a good winter mod, Sgt Jim where are you.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:28 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do what now? Removing lowers? Remove the drain bolt near the bottom of each fork to drain the fork oil, Remove the front tire, remove the "shroud" around the headlight (all that tin crap), loosen the pinch bolt on each side of the triple tree, then finally remove the top cap that holds them to the top of the triple tree..the chrome thing on top..they slide right out..

then when they're off the bike, take a look at them.. you'll see a little clip inside the mid-section that pops right out with a small screw driver
Name:  DSC05659.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  33.5 KB

Flip the fork over and you'll see this bolt
Name:  DSC05660.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  21.0 KB
this bolt holds the inner-fork tubes to the outer-fork tubes, remove it and set it aside

Now, with a buddy, put the fork upright on the floor (so it's standing up, preferably on a soft surface like a folded towel).. have a buddy get a good grip on the bottom of the fork lower and try to push downwards on it, meanwhile, you get a good grab on the fork tube, push down a bit, then SLAM that thing upwards..literally..slam it upwards.. that'll break the seal from the gasket inside the lower (ALways replace this gasket every time you disassemble the forks, and yes, it's $10 per gasket).. once those two pieces are apart..you're done. send it off to the powder coater.

and the lowers aren't just a cover..that's what holds your axle together and the dampner tubes inside have holes in them, so the fork lowers also keep that oil inside. though if you're talking about the "cow bells".. those flat black things that are mounted just below the headlight shrouding..yeah they're just covers.. not sure what else you'd be referring to

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 11-29-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you SGT Jim.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 12-03-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:28 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

SGTJim, thanks! You are awesome! I plan on doing this in April so this will come in very handy!

JIMSFBL, why are you selling so soon? You put so much work into the bike, and only 4,500 miles?!

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 11-30-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
do what now? Removing lowers? Remove the drain bolt near the bottom of each fork to drain the fork oil, Remove the front tire, remove the "shroud" around the headlight (all that tin crap), loosen the pinch bolt on each side of the triple tree, then finally remove the top cap that holds them to the top of the triple tree..the chrome thing on top..they slide right out..

then when they're off the bike, take a look at them.. you'll see a little clip inside the mid-section that pops right out with a small screw driver

Flip the fork over and you'll see this bolt

this bolt holds the inner-fork tubes to the outer-fork tubes, remove it and set it aside

Now, with a buddy, put the fork upright on the floor (so it's standing up, preferably on a soft surface like a folded towel).. have a buddy get a good grip on the bottom of the fork lower and try to push downwards on it, meanwhile, you get a good grab on the fork tube, push down a bit, then SLAM that thing upwards..literally..slam it upwards.. that'll break the seal from the gasket inside the lower (ALways replace this gasket every time you disassemble the forks, and yes, it's $10 per gasket).. once those two pieces are apart..you're done. send it off to the powder coater.

and the lowers aren't just a cover..that's what holds your axle together and the dampner tubes inside have holes in them, so the fork lowers also keep that oil inside. though if you're talking about the "cow bells".. those flat black things that are mounted just below the headlight shrouding..yeah they're just covers.. not sure what else you'd be referring to
Good writeup SGT, one thing to add that might save some time. If you're not already taking the headlight tins off, you can get the forks out without removing all that crap. Remove the wheel and fender, then take a 5/8" wrench and loosen the lower pinch bolts. There is enough room to get a wrench in there behind the headlight tin. Then loosen the top bolt on each side of tins, twist and work the forks out of the trees.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners