Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM
FatVermonter
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whitelightning
I have the same setup, i.e., 18" windshield. Same issues too, wind buffeting so severe I felt like a bobblehead. I guess 'cause I'm old, I really don't care as much how my bike looks to others, so I'll do what makes sense to me. And that means form follows function. I put the fangs on mine, and they absolutely work. I may PC them this winter, along with the fork legs, but maybe not. At this point, a more comfortable seat may take precedence. Another thing that helped was using a half helmet. Not terrifically happy with that idea, but it reduces the felt buffeting.
Thanks for the input... I did try riding with a 3/4 helmet that I have. It seemed a little better, but the helmet has a visor (like a baseball hat brim, not a face shield) and that may have been catching wind as well. Hate to go to a half helmet due to the reduced protection (and hearing it from the ol lady about A) spending money on a new helmet and B) the reduced protection. If worse comes to worse, I'll have to get the fangs I guess (but then, that's money too... hmm I can't win here). I can't be going on long rides and suffering headaches from all the shaking.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
FatVermonter
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
with the way i sit, the wind hits me right along the top of my helmet..its really not that bad if i'm sitting the way i normally do, but when i sit up straighter to stretch my back it worsens a bit..not horrible though
Yeah I tried sitting up more, slouching down, no help. If I put my arm up in front of me and **** my forearm in front of my chest, the bufetting is greatly reduced, leading me to determine the I need lowers, or maybe a helmet the doesn't catch the wind. Mebbe in the spring I'll ask my dealer to borrow a half helmet that they dole out with the rentals and try it.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by FatVermonter
Yeah I tried sitting up more, slouching down, no help. If I put my arm up in front of me and **** my forearm in front of my chest, the bufetting is greatly reduced, leading me to determine the I need lowers, or maybe a helmet the doesn't catch the wind. Mebbe in the spring I'll ask my dealer to borrow a half helmet that they dole out with the rentals and try it.
oh yeah, as for the wind coming up from below.. the only options you really have are to buy one of the engine crash guards, and someone makes leather or plastic or fiberglass slips that slide on to those to block the wind from coming up

Old 10-28-2011, 11:57 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe I'm the only one, but I absolutely love that bobbed fender! I have always had the idea to go ahead and do that to mine, but now that I see it, I am seriously considering it! I think it looks awesome.

But, then again, I loved the Night Train.

So, lets say one would want to put on this fender, what would it involve? I know you need the fender, get it prepped and painted and then you would need the tail light, but is that it?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:12 AM
FatVermonter
Advanced

oh yeah, as for the wind coming up from below.. the only options you really have are to buy one of the engine crash guards, and someone makes leather or plastic or fiberglass slips that slide on to those to block the wind from coming up
Not a fan of crash bars either (from an aestetics standpoint... I can absolutely understand how they could save your leg if you go down).

Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
maybe I'm the only one, but I absolutely love that bobbed fender! I have always had the idea to go ahead and do that to mine, but now that I see it, I am seriously considering it! I think it looks awesome.

But, then again, I loved the Night Train.

So, lets say one would want to put on this fender, what would it involve? I know you need the fender, get it prepped and painted and then you would need the tail light, but is that it?
All you need to do is get the fender and get it painted. It obviously has to be a 200mm so it will literally bolt directly up to your bike. Your tail light is the same used on the train, it is just flipped upside down. Ask me how I know... My buddy has a night train and my old fender is now on his bike, just for fun we put his on my bike, looks ok but not my style. But it will definitely work with no modification. If you do happen to attempt this, make sure that when you buy the fender that it comes with all the mounting hardware, the brackets that hold the plate and lamp holder must be there to hold it to the fender. Don't buy just a bare fender.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:30 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hogpro
This is one of our customer's bikes that just email me some pics of his Lo. This is how I would do up a Lo if I had one.

Just like any woman..I'd like to see a picture of that from behind..

Old 10-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Lone wolf lo 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like any woman..I'd like to see a picture of that from behind..
Lol hear that

Old 10-29-2011, 08:00 PM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I love the wheels !

Last edited by Willie D; 10-29-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My bike looks so naked now...I got over a dozen parts in getting PC'd.

Just doesn't feel right.

Oh I finally crossed into the Kurymarket...only tail-light bar that had a basic plate holder below the tail-light. HD had un-needed fender thingy that goes with their deluxe bar.

And....here are my Carlini 1.5" freeway bars also getting PC'd atm. And yes my gf gave more strange looks sitting at the dining table pretending:P

Name:  Bars-2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  16.3 KB

Name:  bars-1.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  17.8 KB

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners