Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
I'm not a big fan of the bobtail rear fender, just doesn't look right on a lo, looks like they are trying to make it into a night train. Not my style, but to each his own.
I always seem to have mixed feelings on that fender. One of the local HD's had one sitting on a clearance table one time and I was thinking should I??? I have the same problem with the wheels... Do I want to change them for a more personal touch or keep them since they do sort of distinguish the Lo as a Lo at least the 2010 year.

For those interested, HD also recently came out with their own black "heat shields". I added a set to mine though they are not shown in my current avatar or signature photos.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by TNB; 10-28-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TNB
I always seem to have mixed feelings on that fender. One of the local HD's had one sitting on a clearance table one time and I was thinking should I??? I have the same problem with the wheels... Do I want to change them for a more personal touch or keep them since they do sort of distinguish the Lo as a Lo at least the 2010 year.

For those interested, HD also recently came out with their own black "heat shields". I added a set to mine though they are not shown in my current avatar or signature photos.
Yeah I just don't think that fender belongs on a Fatboy lol I think it looks good on Night Trains, especially if they are lowered. I couldn't spend 75 bones on that shield, I personally don't think it gets hot enough for that lol

Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Miked053
Supporter

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US[/quote]

How do you like em or have you had enough time to form an opinion yet?

Old 10-28-2011, 01:38 PM
TNB
Road Master

Yeah I just don't think that fender belongs on a Fatboy lol I think it looks good on Night Trains, especially if they are lowered. I couldn't spend 75 bones on that shield, I personally don't think it gets hot enough for that lol
Ironically, when I have been "burned" and "blistered" by the bike, it was not on those 110F+ degree days here. The last time was when I was carrying a passenger and kept putting both of my short legs down at street lights since I didn't want to lift my right leg up at the street lights.

Originally Posted by Miked053
How do you like em or have you had enough time to form an opinion yet?
The black looks good and they fit the bike well; however, I may paint one of the bolts black that is slightly visible when looking straight down on the seat. As far as function is concerned, I'll learn more over the weekend since I'll be riding around a lot more than my shorter trips to work and lunch during the week. However, I'm sure that they will work better than nothing at all since there won't be any "direct" contact with the engine.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by TNB
Ironically, when I have been "burned" and "blistered" by the bike, it was not on those 110F+ degree days here. The last time was when I was carrying a passenger and kept putting both of my short legs down at street lights since I didn't want to lift my right leg up at the street lights.
Maybe it is just because I am taller, even on the hot days I don't think it is that bad, don't get me wrong, it is warm sometimes, but I just can't justify spending that much coin on a part like that lol

Old 10-28-2011, 04:22 PM
TNB
Road Master

Maybe it is just because I am taller, even on the hot days I don't think it is that bad, don't get me wrong, it is warm sometimes, but I just can't justify spending that much coin on a part like that lol
Could be the longer legs. Chaps too or perhaps some really long underwear for some others. All I know is when I end up with a blister, it's too hot. Question: How often do bike owners really justify spending money on bike parts?

Last edited by TNB; 10-28-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FatVermonter
So what kind of wind buffetting are you getting on your head? I have the 18" detachable and I get hella buffetting from underneath (I can put my hands down by the side of the tank and block a lot of it). Not sure if the problem is exacerbated by the fact that I wear a full face and maybe the chin guard is catching a lot of wind? I hate the look of the HD fang lowers (even if they were black). Anybody know of any other lowers that might work well??

with the way i sit, the wind hits me right along the top of my helmet..its really not that bad if i'm sitting the way i normally do, but when i sit up straighter to stretch my back it worsens a bit..not horrible though

Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got Captain Ich heat shield and it works great. It covers more area than that HD one. I get stuck in traffic in the city and do a lot of toy runs, pamper runs, etc and I really feel the heat without it. But not now!

Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the HD one. I never needed it with the stock seat, but when I swapped out for a Sundowner the front is more narrow. That small difference meant hot junk... no bueno

Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by TNB
Could be the longer legs. Chaps too or perhaps some really long underwear for some others. All I know is when I end up with a blister, it's too hot. Question: How often do bike owners really justify spending money on bike parts?
Yeah I would probably get one too if I was getting blisters. That does not sound fun at all, especially on that part of the leg. I suppose it might be worse for me too if I had a different seat like the La pera. My buddy has one and we set it on my bike awhile back, I am guessing it would make my legs a lot closer to the rear head.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners