Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by moog5050
I agree its the tire. Doesn't bother me much because there is no wobble with hands on the bars, but it does wobble if you take off all pressure. Had them do the adjustments on the steering head and regrease the neck bearings -- no help. Now if I could just figure out how to get dynabeads in these tube tires. Rolled right in on my Big Dog. I think that would fix the problem until I need new tries.
How many miles are on your bike? It was really irritating to find out they were going to try and charge me to replace the tire. From what I understand, it was a bad batch of tires. After my warranty is out I am definitely switching tire brands. It should not matter how many miles are on the bike if it is a known problem.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've read a lot of wobble posts where it was related to the head set bearings and changing tires didn't help. I'm thinking of greasing the bearings myself when I get my bike just to make sure that it doesn't become a problem. Does anyone thing this is worth doing and if so what kind of grease should I use. I know the bike will still need fall away adjustment I just want to make sure that the bearings have enough grease to seat properly.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
I've read a lot of wobble posts where it was related to the head set bearings and changing tires didn't help. I'm thinking of greasing the bearings myself when I get my bike just to make sure that it doesn't become a problem. Does anyone thing this is worth doing and if so what kind of grease should I use. I know the bike will still need fall away adjustment I just want to make sure that the bearings have enough grease to seat properly.
Really any high temp bearing grease will work. If anything just pick some up from the stealer. I used some stuff that we used to use in the mine. It is pretty good stuff and I filled my neck up within the first 500 miles of having the bike. I know it was not the bearings in my case. It was a night and day difference after the tire was replaced. Once issue that I had is I could feel the wobble at highway speeds even with my hands on the bars. I always had an uneasy feeling cruising at 75. Now I don't feel much of anything other than the occasional wind drift from the solid front wheel.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

After the 1000 service I still had the wobble. I greased the head bearing which took 26 pumps with my grease gun to fill (obviously Stealer did not check). That did not solve the problem. I checked the Fall Away Adjustment and it was within spec. At 8000 miles I changed my front tire and the wobble disappeared.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:34 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I'd let her buy me dinner.

I'd let her see it up close.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by NorCalFBLO
After the 1000 service I still had the wobble. I greased the head bearing which took 26 pumps with my grease gun to fill (obviously Stealer did not check). That did not solve the problem. I checked the Fall Away Adjustment and it was within spec. At 8000 miles I changed my front tire and the wobble disappeared.
I had to pump mine for some time too, I found out that they don't fill the neck when they build the bike and most don't get it done till the first service. They questioned me about the steering head adjustment and the fall away and I told them that I performed this at the 1k service and I used the manual. They explained that I am not a mechanic and that they'd have to charge me. I told them I am a mechanic and have been for the past 10 years and if the service manual is not good enough then why do they sell it? It pissed me off even more that after they replaced the tire I requested the 45 bucks back that they charged me for the steering head adjustment that did not do **** and they just said well we had to check that first. I just said screw it and was happy the wobble went away with the new tire.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, My 2012 has the same wobble between 40-45 mph.
It only has about 600 miles on her.
I thought it was odd that there was no balancing weights on the front tire when I got her and thought that was the problem. Maybe it is the wheel. But we'll see when I bring her in for her 1000mi. service.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jester750
Yup, My 2012 has the same wobble between 40-45 mph.
It only has about 600 miles on her.
I thought it was odd that there was no balancing weights on the front tire when I got her and thought that was the problem. Maybe it is the wheel. But we'll see when I bring her in for her 1000mi. service.
I would not wait any longer to get it checked out to be honest, after what they told me.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got the phone call my 9.25" Russ Wernimont METAL cruiser rear fender is ready to ship. FYI folks, Steve at RWD said pass it along that he will do 9.25" upon request. Also those wondering it's a few extra stretch from stock (comes down to axle and should look awesome when aired down).

And he knocked off about $100 for dealer price...$300 total.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
moog5050
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
How many miles are on your bike? It was really irritating to find out they were going to try and charge me to replace the tire. From what I understand, it was a bad batch of tires. After my warranty is out I am definitely switching tire brands. It should not matter how many miles are on the bike if it is a known problem.
a little over 2k ... wobble is not bad enough for me to worry about it, but my big dog is more stable .... i have no doubt its the tire

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners