Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:15 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalFBLO
I installed the Ricor Intiminators last week and was blown away. The bike is now so much more stable in turns, smoother over bumps and drastically got rid of the brake dive.

To install on the Lo you remove your fork tubes. Unscrew the cap and remove the spring. You slide the Ricor Intimidator in, replace the spring, cap, add 5wt fork oil and reinstall the fork tubes.

With the Ricor Intiminators and Shotgun Shock I now have a suspension worthy of the Lo.
Good job NorCal! I went with race tech up front, but either way it's a big difference. You don't really realize how bad the HD suspension is until you put a better one in. It's like getting a new bike isn't it?

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 08-26-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop with your performance and suspension upgrade posts. I just can't afford it dang it. All I want is my new-to-me exhaust mounted, and my cosmetic crap done with, then i can save my money and start doing the internals... i don't really have $1500 for an air ride though, but a set of 422's might be nice..

Okay here's a (quasi-stupid) question about the RaceTech stuff, Jim.. on their site they have the spring and lowering kit for like $258.. then on another page they have just the springs.. for $109. If i just buy the $109 springs (because I don't want to lower the front), would that come up with the same results in handling? Because $109 is certainly more in my budget than a whole lowering kit, or a set of Intimidators for $300

oh, and semi-awesome story. Ya know how i've been saying I wanted that 14" passenger seat for the fatboy? Well coincidentally another forum member (Danny D) emails me saying basically "Want to trade? I have the 14" seat and i'm looking for one off a FatBoy Lo".. i'm like UHH YEAH. Long story short, I sent him out my stock passenger seat, and he sent me the 14" touring passenger seat. Came in the mail today, looks awesome. Now if only I didn't think that most women around me are dirty dirty pirate hookers, I could find a passenger.

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 08-26-2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:33 PM
SNAKEMAN
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just ordered a C&C solo seat. Sorry Jim shotgun shock will be next.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:09 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Stop with your performance and suspension upgrade posts. I just can't afford it dang it. All I want is my new-to-me exhaust mounted, and my cosmetic crap done with, then i can save my money and start doing the internals... i don't really have $1500 for an air ride though, but a set of 422's might be nice..

Okay here's a (quasi-stupid) question about the RaceTech stuff, Jim.. on their site they have the spring and lowering kit for like $258.. then on another page they have just the springs.. for $109. If i just buy the $109 springs (because I don't want to lower the front), would that come up with the same results in handling? Because $109 is certainly more in my budget than a whole lowering kit, or a set of Intimidators for $300

oh, and semi-awesome story. Ya know how i've been saying I wanted that 14" passenger seat for the fatboy? Well coincidentally another forum member (Danny D) emails me saying basically "Want to trade? I have the 14" seat and i'm looking for one off a FatBoy Lo".. i'm like UHH YEAH. Long story short, I sent him out my stock passenger seat, and he sent me the 14" touring passenger seat. Came in the mail today, looks awesome. Now if only I didn't think that most women around me are dirty dirty pirate hookers, I could find a passenger.
nah bro, you have to have the gold valve emulators, that's what makes the whole thing happen. The springs are just an upgraded spring, but does not dictate the ride. The Gold Valve Cartridge emulator kit is $169.99.

Hell Jim, it's not like you gotta get it right now brotha. What you have will work until you got the coin. I just thought if you knew about it, that you would add it to your list. lol I know, I'm not helping by adding to your list, but when you do get it at some point you will look me up and say "hell yea"!

FYI, I still have that picture of your sled tore down in your dining room blown up hanging in my garage. That inspires me to do "almost" any mod myself. That still cracks me up, crazy like a fox.

Call them before you pull the trigger though, because this is my first up grade suspension and they will validate what you want.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 08-26-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:46 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

So what you're saying is that I should consider the $170 kit there to get the benefits without the lowering.. that's still in my winter-price range. The only thing my brain is really saying "damnit" to right now is having to replace the fork seals again.. because everywhere i read they say that is 1 seal that should literally be replaced almost any time the forks are taken apart. Otherwise that's still a possibility and deserves to go on to the list.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ricor Intimidators

Hey Sarge,
I did a little research on those intimidators a short time ago. What they do is make the dampening in your forks work way better than stock. To make a long story short they keep your wheel from bouncing when you hit any kind of bump or rough areas in the road this equals more traction especially on rough turns and a seriously noticeable handling difference in the front end. I have seen alot of people on this site say what an amazing difference they make like night and day. Also if you get the intimidators you don't need to change your stock front springs.

As far as the fork springs go, they will make it a little better but you will still have the same stock dampening problem. If money is the main factor, go with the regular RaceTech springs. I believe if you look up on their site for an installation manual they make you use PVC tubing of about 3" on top of their springs in the fork tube. You could probably cut the PVC to 2" to get a 1" lower on your front if you ever wanted to in the future.

I personally think the Intiminators are worth saving a little more money for considering they make a far bigger difference in handling than just new springs and it is about the same amount of installation work.

As far as the "gold valve emulators" if you read up on them you have to drill out your dampening tubes in your forks or something like that. Which means once you install them they can't be removed because you drilled the tubes and modified the dampening.
The Intiminators just drop in with no further modification and could be removed if you should want.
I know I will be putting them on my bike in the near future.

By the way I believe forum members get like a 20% discount.
You can use the hdforums coupon code on the Ricor site
Hope this info helps.
Here is a couple of links about them:
http://cycleguidemagazine.blogspot.c...ator-fork.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-complete.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...lled-pics.html

Last edited by Jester750; 08-26-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-26-2011, 02:56 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jester750
Hey Sarge,

By the way I believe forum members get like a 20% discount.
You can use the hdforums coupon code on the Ricor site
Hope this info helps.
Here is a couple of links about them:
http://cycleguidemagazine.blogspot.c...ator-fork.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-complete.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...lled-pics.html

yeah I read that article, thanks for the links and all that. And everything I read is just praising the Ricor's up and down the block, and they seem easier to install just looking at the product. (i look at pictures.. directions..pffft...who needs 'em?). but the $25,000 question is..who knows where to find the 20% off coupon if it exists?

Old 08-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Jester750
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yeah I read that article, thanks for the links and all that. And everything I read is just praising the Ricor's up and down the block, and they seem easier to install just looking at the product. (i look at pictures.. directions..pffft...who needs 'em?). but the $25,000 question is..who knows where to find the 20% off coupon if it exists?
I went tot the website and put in the cart then when it got to the next page it had a box for a coupon code which is probably "hdforums" but it can't hurt to just call ahead and ask about it and talk to a real person.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:51 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Ricors is a good set up, but there is a reason you drill holes in the damping rod with race tech. It's called performance and understanding it will completely change your mind. I thought the same thing as you guys until I picked up the phone and started asking questions.

It's kinda like when I chose Ohlins rear shocks on my FLHT over progressive. They are not the same, just sayin.

But I won't drive this into the ground haha, I'm done.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

see..with either of these things, they're using some really big words. and i don't do well with words..i'm more of a Do'er, not a Read'er

http://www.racetech.com/download/IP_FEGV_FIT_web.pdf

not one bit of that makes sense to me.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners