Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Zombiequest
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
How big of a pain in the *** is it to install those lights? I've been debating about it for like a year now to get those, or a similar set up from Headwinds or Kuryakyn
I was contemplating the 3-headlight setup for the longest time also.. if for nothing more then to give the illusion of more width. (and maybe to be a little different) but decided against it eventually because I thought it was taking on more of a "Touring" bike look and less of the Cruiser it was intended to be... same goes for Hard saddlebags -vs- Leather saddlebags. I just decided to stick with the cruiser build.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I think I'm also looking for a part number or something.. is it this kit?

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

..looks like it with the shape of the lights, but then how do the turn signals mount underneath?

otherwise there is this one, but i dont care much for the flat turn signals, as opposed to the bullet ones..

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

edit.. are these lights always on? i know Kuryakyn makes a handlebar mounted toggle switch to turn them on and off, but its chrome and well, i dont have any chrome on my bike..
So that first link is a new part, never seen it before. You would have to add the turn signal relocation kit (bullet) to that to move your signals down. Last time I checked it only came in chrome, so I had mine PC'd.

This part Deluxe Aux Kit looks to be discontinued now, it came with everything but had to be PC'd black.

They come with a switch that mounts on the left back side of the headlight/fork tins. You should have a chrome plug there now. I leave mine on all the time. Other riders tell me there's so much light it looks like a car behind them. That's the point.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info man.. I know i asked like 4 months ago, but my memory is poo and there's too many pages to go back and try to find anything. See now i'm debating between the new one that's black, and the one you've posted.. I'd like to move my turn signals to clean up my handlebars, but at the same time, the new one has less wiring and less to go wrong with it..not to mention its $150 cheaper..

Old 07-22-2011, 11:11 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for the info man.. I know i asked like 4 months ago, but my memory is poo and there's too many pages to go back and try to find anything. See now i'm debating between the new one that's black, and the one you've posted.. I'd like to move my turn signals to clean up my handlebars, but at the same time, the new one has less wiring and less to go wrong with it..not to mention its $150 cheaper..
The wiring is cake. There is a single wire from each aux light (body grounded). You wire those together to the switch. The switch gets power from a tap under the instrument panel, or you can run to a constant 12V (what I did). The turn signals from the relocation kit comes with the plug to simply plug them back into the harness under the tank. There really is nothing to it. If I were doing it again, I'd get the new part number that comes in black, pick up the relocation kit and have it all PC'd to match the bike.

I can take pics of my setup if you want.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombiequest
I was contemplating the 3-headlight setup for the longest time also.. if for nothing more then to give the illusion of more width. (and maybe to be a little different) but decided against it eventually because I thought it was taking on more of a "Touring" bike look and less of the Cruiser it was intended to be... same goes for Hard saddlebags -vs- Leather saddlebags. I just decided to stick with the cruiser build.
Nothing wrong with hard bags on a Lo

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-sdc10003.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 12:35 PM
serjayson
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lawleywood I like the look. Where would one get those hard bags and about how much would I be looking at? Thanks

Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by serjayson
Lawleywood I like the look. Where would one get those hard bags and about how much would I be looking at? Thanks
Well I got the bags from a friend of a friend for 400, paint was 150 and the brackets and fillers from another HDF member for 200. All together I paid 750. The bags themselves from HD brand new are 1299. I would suggest looking on eBay or try and find a pair locally that are used. You can get the brackets and fillers from cycle visions. The brackets are 299 and the fillers are 199 or something like that. It is definitely cheaper to piece together used stuff. I got lucky and got all this stuff relatively cheap. If you can find a set of bags that already match your bike it could be cheaper or about the same price if you don't have to pay for paint like I did. The bags I got also had latches and keys for the locks. I ordered matching locks to my key and pick those up tonight, so it is all one key.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
The wiring is cake. There is a single wire from each aux light (body grounded). You wire those together to the switch. The switch gets power from a tap under the instrument panel, or you can run to a constant 12V (what I did). The turn signals from the relocation kit comes with the plug to simply plug them back into the harness under the tank. There really is nothing to it. If I were doing it again, I'd get the new part number that comes in black, pick up the relocation kit and have it all PC'd to match the bike.

I can take pics of my setup if you want.
it's not a big deal just yet, thanks though.. what i'm not liking about the black aux lights is that it clearly says "does not come with bulbs"..so there's +$65 for a set of the smoked bulbs, then +$60 for the visors to match my headlight, then +$24 to get them powdercoated..so that alone is like $335 which i dont have right now.. ill probably just wait until the winter when i send all my other crap out to the coater

Old 07-22-2011, 10:16 PM
warmongersix
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark does it again

Story 808 did this project on my derby cover. I have seen his work and he is amazing, but this is awesome. Newest addition to the lo, he ships it in the morning.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-2011-07-22-13.43.56.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-2011-07-22-13.51.26.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by warmongersix
Story 808 did this project on my derby cover. I have seen his work and he is amazing, but this is awesome. Newest addition to the lo, he ships it in the morning.
I like it. I was thinking of having almost the same design done on mine.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-avitar.jpg  

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners