Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 08:39 PM
MJ-13000
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rollin_fatboy
Looks like I'll be doing that also. I was hoping I could get by without doing the fuel/intake til winter.

I'm just hoping I don't have a leak...I couldn't hear one and torqued the head bolts to 120.
I got the Rush slip ons-pretty happy with them, but still get minor decel popping. I tightened down on the lower slip on which the dealer replaced-the cut was off due to the weld being defective-so it angled out instead of down.

I want to do just the a/c and a PC and keep the slip ons.

Yeaa...it's silver!...I think I seen one..lol

Old 06-17-2011, 08:43 PM
MJ-13000
Tourer

Originally Posted by AjAnd3rson
It's ape install time....

Wish me luck!

Luck sent! Just remember to increase this thread with your pics of the new apes!
lol

This thread threatens my bank account every time I look at it!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:48 PM
AjAnd3rson
Tourer

Stumped....

1" step down for grips on new apes are 9.5 inches long.....

Stock bars ar 8 inches....

WTF should I do?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:57 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by FatVermonter
I too went the cheap route and just installed 4" curved risers from HD. The bars are still not quite as far back as I would like, but they are certainly better than with the stock risers. Gotta save the pennies for V&H Big Radius 2-into-2's and quick-detach windshied for when I am "touring". Eventually I think going to the buck-horn type bars used on the standard Fat Boy would be the way to go, but would require new cables/wires. I sat on a Fat Boy last time I was a the dealer and it felt real comfortable as far as hand/arm position. The sales manager who sold me the bike (a very reputable one who wasn't trying to gouge me) said it would run about $800 to have them do it.
Recently had just that change made to my Lo. (Regular Fatboy bars) It did need new wires and cables. But I kept the 4" pullback risers on the bike. The dealer mis quoted me originally for the labor so I got a real good price. He told me 3 hours and it was a 6 hour job. it cost me a little over 500.

Really like the change, much more comfortable and still looks good.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:00 PM
MJ-13000
Tourer
Default Air Cleaner & Breather Bolts

My service manual shows and states that the breather bolts are 11mm.

I was looking at several a/c's and came up on one I liked-only problem is that the install pdf file on the web site states that the breather bolts are 3/8”-16 x 1-1/4”.

Any of you that changed out your a/c have any issues with different size breather bolts?
I'm going to guess I can't re-use my stock breather bolts with this particular a/c.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2011, 09:04 PM
FatVermonter
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyfiremedic
Recently had just that change made to my Lo. (Regular Fatboy bars) It did need new wires and cables. But I kept the 4" pullback risers on the bike. The dealer mis quoted me originally for the labor so I got a real good price. He told me 3 hours and it was a 6 hour job. it cost me a little over 500.

Really like the change, much more comfortable and still looks good.
So if he had quoted you correctly this first time, it would have been pretty close to the $800 that my guy estimated in his head. You got a great deal!! Congrats... got pics yet?

Old 06-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

So if he had quoted you correctly this first time, it would have been pretty close to the $800 that my guy estimated in his head. You got a great deal!! Congrats... got pics yet?
Find an independent to swap the bars. My wrench swapped my bars to Street slammers and replaced all the cables with black stainless and only billed me 3 hours at 55.00 per hour.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 PM
FatVermonter
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Find an independent to swap the bars. My wrench swapped my bars to Street slammers and replaced all the cables with black stainless and only billed me 3 hours at 55.00 per hour.
Nice idea, but not too many local wrenches in my area... I had one just about across the street from me who did my 1k service for less than HD but he went out of business.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice idea, but not too many local wrenches in my area... I had one just about across the street from me who did my 1k service for less than HD but he went out of business.
I did the standard FB bars before going to apes. I had to replace the throttle/idle cables, and used a standard FB brake line. The clutch cable is the same part number and is long enough to work with regular FB bars + the 4" risers.

You can get regular FB bars for $35 usually off ebay or local swap. I bought a FB brake line from a member for $20 or so and the throttle/idle cables new were $50ish. The stock wiring will reach, but you can't run it through the top of the triple trees. It has to come out of the bars, and go straight down under the tank on the respective sides.

The hardest part of the job was getting to the throttle/idle cables under the tank.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Markske
Cruiser

I too went the cheap route and just installed 4" curved risers from HD. The bars are still not quite as far back as I would like, but they are certainly better than with the stock risers. Gotta save the pennies for V&H Big Radius 2-into-2's and quick-detach windshied for when I am "touring". Eventually I think going to the buck-horn type bars used on the standard Fat Boy would be the way to go, but would require new cables/wires. I sat on a Fat Boy last time I was a the dealer and it felt real comfortable as far as hand/arm position. The sales manager who sold me the bike (a very reputable one who wasn't trying to gouge me) said it would run about $800 to have them do it.
I had my stock bars replaced with the MoCo Beach bars, and had all the cabling exchanged as wel for 750eur. Used cabling from Zodiac, which is less than half the price compared to HD cables. Worked fine for me.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners