Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Caseyx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Installed SE 255 cams
could a novice do it? Any really tough parts?

Old 05-12-2011, 08:49 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigoil7
So, I got the sissy bar but the wrong blinker relocation kit (chrome) so I called the stealership and they said they'd get it in the mail. Not known for my patience and never too keen on the looks of the kit, I went to wacky-mart at 11:30 pm and picked up a Skill bench grinder for $50 and went to work on the mount points. Just ground a little at a time till she finally slid into place and locked. Took the Birchwood Casey Super Black pen I use for touching up my pistols and covered up the exposed steel and you can't tell I did anything. Will send back both kits and get the cash, and I'm plus one grinder.
The bar looks fantastic BTW. May not take it off.

Can you have 7 letters on a bike plate in SD? If you can I say PHATBOY. You can only have 6 here in CO.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM
Zombiequest
Cruiser

Speaking of "Jims".. anyone else notice a common theme besides names and Lo's? Damn near everyone on this thread is either current or former Military. Makes you wonder, it's like the Lo is the Official Bike of the US Military or something.. I myself being Marine Corps (0311) Infantry Rifleman. 1993-1997, 2nd Battalion - 8th Marines. (Always wanted to be a grunt.)

Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM
bigoil7
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
Can you have 7 letters on a bike plate in SD? If you can I say PHATBOY. You can only have 6 here in CO.
Yep, 7 characters, I like PHATBOY too. Thanks.

Update: On second thought, perhaps they don't allow 7 on the scooter plates, I might only get 6, the cage plates allow 7 I think.

Last edited by bigoil7; 05-12-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When my Florida plates expire I think I'll follow suit like all my vehicles and get W8S HD or W8S FBL since my last name is Waite

Silverado LTZ: W8S LTZ
Yamaha R1: W8S R1
Camaro SS: W8S SS

Old 05-12-2011, 11:26 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx
could a novice do it? Any really tough parts?
Uh, not sure about novice. If you understand how a motor works and have the FSM and right tools, and enough time. This job is all about the right tools. I have a 4 month old boy, so it took me longer than normal. I started the teardown on Thursday, had it all apart by Friday night. I could only work on the install an hour or two at a time, and just finished it up yesterday.

If you're thinking of doing it, there are several good threads here and you can ask me anything you want.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 PM
Caseyx
Tourer

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Uh, not sure about novice. If you understand how a motor works and have the FSM and right tools, and enough time. This job is all about the right tools. I have a 4 month old boy, so it took me longer than normal. I started the teardown on Thursday, had it all apart by Friday night. I could only work on the install an hour or two at a time, and just finished it up yesterday.

If you're thinking of doing it, there are several good threads here and you can ask me anything you want.

I'm pretty good with a wrench, mostly common sense. Never done any internal work, but I understand all of the parts, importance of torque wrenches, I own the service manual and am not afraid to ask this crew for help.

****, I think I am going to get dirty soon...a tuner told me that a cam really wakes up the 96, enough to hold off on adding cubes for awhile. Just got to pick the right parts...what tools made a difference?

Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombiequest
Speaking of "Jims".. anyone else notice a common theme besides names and Lo's? Damn near everyone on this thread is either current or former Military. Makes you wonder, it's like the Lo is the Official Bike of the US Military or something.. I myself being Marine Corps (0311) Infantry Rifleman. 1993-1997, 2nd Battalion - 8th Marines. (Always wanted to be a grunt.)
dude, great point.. not a Jim here, but former SSgt USMC 94-05

Old 05-12-2011, 01:09 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx
I'm pretty good with a wrench, mostly common sense. Never done any internal work, but I understand all of the parts, importance of torque wrenches, I own the service manual and am not afraid to ask this crew for help.

****, I think I am going to get dirty soon...a tuner told me that a cam really wakes up the 96, enough to hold off on adding cubes for awhile. Just got to pick the right parts...what tools made a difference?
Must have tools:
in/lb torque wrench - don't try to guess and use your ft/lb wrench
Gary's cam bearing removal/install tool beattygw@sbcglobal.net
Cam gear locking tool (I didn't buy, but will for next time)
allen socket set (for use with torque wrench)

You'll obviously need a good standard socket set, extenders, universals, etc. You'll do a lot of thumbing around in the FSM as it is broken up by sections (top end, cams, PR tubes, etc). You don't read straight through for a cam swap. The other thing that sticks out in my mind, when you take the cam support plate out, oil will drain from the tank unless you plug up the hole it comes out of in the cam chest. Nobody said anything about that.

I haven't ridden it yet, but it idles like a cammed out hot rod. This is the way it should have been from the factory.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:58 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombiequest
I feel left out....I am not military, and my name isn't Jim

But I did stay at a Holiday inn once

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners