Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
I have a question to all you Lo owners: I will soon have the 16" apes on mine and I am wondering, what's the likelyhood of being able to make a 1400 mile trip in 2 days on this bike this summer? I plan on going from Virginia to Oklahoma. I have no windsheild, no backrest, and I am still running the stock floorboards and seat.

I am wondering this because, in reality, this is my first bike, I'm 23, and the longest trip I have really ever made on it was a short 45 minute trip to Williamsburg so I really have almost no experience with this. I thought about trailering the bike but that is pretty damn expensive and I am not sure if it would really be worth it. Yes, I am a newb, don't hate.
I've done 600 miles in 2 days on mine.. completely stock, and i was fine afterwards.. however, that was broken up between like 350 miles one day, and 250 the second.. not 700/700 or whatever you'd like to do. but yeah, even on a super ultra glide mega godzilla CVO with cruise control.. that's a boat load of miles. if your Lo is like mine, you get about 170 miles to the tank of gas.. well every time you fill up, take like 20 minutes and just walk around, drink water, stretch, buy a hooker..whatever.. and if you feel yourself getting tired..frickin stop.

...and from what i've learned about road trips.. the worst part isn't getting there, it's getting there then realizing you have to get back..

Old 04-22-2011, 08:57 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
I have a question to all you Lo owners: I will soon have the 16" apes on mine and I am wondering, what's the likelyhood of being able to make a 1400 mile trip in 2 days on this bike this summer? I plan on going from Virginia to Oklahoma. I have no windsheild, no backrest, and I am still running the stock floorboards and seat.

I am wondering this because, in reality, this is my first bike, I'm 23, and the longest trip I have really ever made on it was a short 45 minute trip to Williamsburg so I really have almost no experience with this. I thought about trailering the bike but that is pretty damn expensive and I am not sure if it would really be worth it. Yes, I am a newb, don't hate.
I think you'll be ok but 700 is a ton on a bike. I did 500 on my sportbike from Panama City to Daytona a few years ago on I-10. I was tired as hell but it was Biketoberfest and nothing was going to stop me from partying. I was probably 26 at the time so I think you'll be ok. But like others are saying is build your endurance. You wouldn't think of endurance for just riding something but it's true. I get stiff and sore riding to Sturgis now and it's only 30 miles on I90. Maybe with the money you save by not trailering you should use for a windshield even as heterosexually challenged as it might look.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 AM
Default Here is mine :)

I just added the 2 into 1 Vance & Hines Big Radius Pipe

Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
Maybe with the money you save by not trailering you should use for a windshield even as heterosexually challenged as it might look.
This is kinda what I was thinkin but I just can't imagine what a windshield would look like on the bike with the 16" bars and I would probably have to trim and modify it to fit the bars ... I also thought about picking this driver backrest up: http://www.cavalrycustoms.com/store/product136.html

Anyone have any experience with one of these? If I don't end up riding the bike on this long trip I may just get one of these anyways. If I really get on the trottle when I just have the fender bib on and no back seat, I feel like I could possibly slide off if I hit a good bump.

And the ride back is the one I am most worried about because the whole reason I am wanting to take it to Oklahoma is that I will be riding it A LOT with the father in-law, 2 brothers in-law & uncle in-law(?); each one has a different bike: Road King Classic, 2010 Wide Glide, Sportster, & 100th Anniversary Deuce (loudest damn bike I've ever heard), so it's pretty much gonna be a ride displaying a good chunk of Harley's line up. That trip back another 1400 miles is gonna be brutal, especially since it will be in the middle of June and I will be worn out from being around the family. I am guessing that I will put over 3500 miles on it in those 2 weeks, which is kinda funny since I don't even have 450 on it now; not even broken in yet. And since this just came up, what does the 500 mile, first service usually run from the dealership?

I probably should have just made this whole thing a new thread on its own... Sorry.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:02 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

That looks cool, never seen one of those. You're gonna need 1k and 5k service all within a week or two haha. Do you not have a truck you can throw it in to get it there? That's a hella ton of riding if you plan on doing it the whole time you're there.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:21 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

If I had a truck I would not be asking this question
All I have is my Xterra and it just won't fit in the back, even with the seats folded down (I have seriously thought about this).

I still have a while to think about it though. So whatever happens, happens. I don't plan on leaving until 1 June.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:01 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDLivetoRide
I just added the 2 into 1 Vance & Hines Big Radius Pipe

HDLivetoRide: So I couldn't see the pic at work, but now that I am home I see that pipe looks good! Haha! Most people go for the blacked out exhaust (like myself) but I still like the look of chrome. My brother in-law has that same pipe on his Wide Glide. How does it sound?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:38 PM
bigoil7
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you guys think, do I need highway bars on my lo?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:59 PM
serjayson
Road Captain

Hey CaptinMorgan I just bought that drivers backrest today on ebay $70 shipped so check it out and save yourself the &12 shipping fee. Also you could always rent a trailer.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:01 PM
serjayson
Road Captain

Oops.....I meant $12

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners