Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Caseyx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TattooBill
looking at apes for my lo, cancer in my arm only lets me go so high but it would be more comfortable with a rise. my ? is, what's intailed in installing 10 " apes on my 10 Lo?
Wire extensions, involves soldering usually. New cables...clutch, throttle and front brake. Fuel tank removal or at least shifted back quite a bit, i recommend removing it. New riser bushings recommended. As I was told, do it yourself, save a lot of dough and take your time to do it. Everyone here can help, I just finished mine yesterday.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx
Wire extensions, involves soldering usually. New cables...clutch, throttle and front brake. Fuel tank removal or at least shifted back quite a bit, i recommend removing it. New riser bushings recommended. As I was told, do it yourself, save a lot of dough and take your time to do it. Everyone here can help, I just finished mine yesterday.
I still can't figure out why guys are taking the tank off to do the bars on a Lo. It is really unnecessary to go that route.

Riser bushings are probably not necessary on a 10" bar, but they are great and stiffen up the play when doing the apes. Do a +6 on your cables and you should be good to go.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim 2011 FB-LO
I remember seeing someone had powder coated one of the aux light bars on here and cant remember what page it was on and tried searching for it. I saw a freind of mine had the chrome one on her softail deluxe and really liked the look of it. I am looking at getting the heavier duty one and getting it powder coated, but wanted to see what was involved in the process...
That is me. The process I used was put the parts in a box and took them to the powder coater. Got the parts back and assembled. They did all the prep of the parts. I did disassemble the lights and such so all I took them was the metal parts.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
I still can't figure out why guys are taking the tank off to do the bars on a Lo. It is really unnecessary to go that route.

Riser bushings are probably not necessary on a 10" bar, but they are great and stiffen up the play when doing the apes. Do a +6 on your cables and you should be good to go.
You really don't need to remove the tank, just disconnect it and slide it back a bit to get at the wire housings for the turn signals/etc that are under it

Old 04-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Mouth
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine all my self and yup I took the tank off. I used a Burly Brand extension kit. It worked pretty good. Just keep account of how tall your risers are too and It'll save you a lot of extra work. On the good side of that, at least you get to drink a few more till you finish.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-fatboy-lo-with-16-inch-carlini-design-flyin-apes.jpg  

Last edited by Mouth; 04-19-2011 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
You really don't need to remove the tank, just disconnect it and slide it back a bit to get at the wire housings for the turn signals/etc that are under it
I am with you Jim, I keep reading all these posts saying to take the tank off. That is just extra work that does not need to be done. Even the service manual doesn't say to remove the tank. If you undo the bolts and the console electrical connector and the quick disconnect, the tank pulls back plenty far to access all the connectors.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
TattooBill
Cruiser

Thanks guys, a lotta good info! I'll post pics when I getem on

Old 04-19-2011, 08:18 PM
MJ-13000
Tourer

Thanks to each and every member on this thread!

Picking up the Lo on saturday!

You guys (and gals) created a monster! Well...I have detention tonight. I must write 100 times on the blackboard...

I will keep it stock,
I will keep it stock,
I will keep it stock,
I will keep it stock,
I will keep it stock
I will....
...Hell..screw it all....where's Dr. Drew?..where's that catalog?...lmao)

Much thanks and respect to all. You all were and are an inspiration!

See ya out on the road!

To you

Old 04-19-2011, 09:05 PM
bigoil7
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx
Bout to do both of them myself. I've read that heat from a hair dryer and fishing line make removing reflectors easy.
Thanks Caseyx, blow dryer, dental floss, and and a little spray turtle wax was all I needed. Quick and easy. Pulled the fork reflectors off too while I was at it. That just required heat and muscle, had a black rubbery adhesive unlike the back reflectors. Unbelievable how much better she looks.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Seavonj
4th Gear
Default Couple pics of my LO

Here are a couple of pics of my LO. Slowly doing the mods.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-photo-4-.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-photo-2-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners