Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:35 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigoil7
After much anticipation, I finally got my Lo. Ya'll remember when yours looked like this? 38℉ here in the heartland and I manage to get about 20 miles on it today. Froze my a$$ but this is one awesome bike. Can't wait for some decent weather. They say there's a couple days in July that look promising
Is it just me or does the back wheel look 6"s taller than the front?

Old 04-16-2011, 11:44 PM
bigoil7
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Is it just me or does the back wheel look 6"s taller than the front?
Snow tire. Just kidding. Pretty sure it's just the camera angle. Didn't want the wife to catch me with the red bedsheets stapled to the wall so I was in a hurry.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:53 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigoil7
Snow tire. Just kidding. Pretty sure it's just the camera angle. Didn't want the wife to catch me with the red bedsheets stapled to the wall so I was in a hurry.
lol, I figured it probably was. I hope you get some good weather soon, good luck and keep us posted!

Old 04-17-2011, 11:35 AM
Jim 2011 FB-LO
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has the black aux light bar?

I remember seeing someone had powder coated one of the aux light bars on here and cant remember what page it was on and tried searching for it. I saw a freind of mine had the chrome one on her softail deluxe and really liked the look of it. I am looking at getting the heavier duty one and getting it powder coated, but wanted to see what was involved in the process...

Old 04-17-2011, 04:10 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For you guys that have taken the headlight off, how did you get the rubber grommet to pop out? I got the wires out of the light bulb switch but now I'm stuck and it's pissing me off. I'm ready to lift the tank and disconnect the wires.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:39 PM
RioCat 53
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pyron
I put the gloss black primary on my gloss black lo... and didn't like how it matched up with the rest of the powertrain. I think I posted pics of it and the gloss black cam cover I put on further back in the thread. The powertrain is wrinkle black, and it just didn't look right to me; like it didn't match or flow right. Needless to say, the dealer is swapping them out with wrinkle black as we speak and I should have updated pics later this week. To each their own, though.

Might actually be home to take them myself this time. We'll see.
Thanks for that input, I had those same thoughts about matching...I'll try to find your pics and check them out...

Old 04-17-2011, 09:49 PM
mikepett
Advanced
Default Lubricants

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
What kind of oil are you guys running in your Lo's? I got a guy I can buy some Amsoil from and he can get me a price on it too. I can go almost 25K in my Duramax before changing it. What do I use for inside the primary also cuz I'm gonna take my cover off to paint it.
After very extensive research, I'm going with Amsoil. From my research, Amsoil is about the best, followed very closely by Mobile1. But, again, from my research, I'm decided to go with:

(Amsoil)
- 20W-50 MCV (MCVQT-EA) in the crankcase
- 75w-140 Severe Gear (SVOQT-EA) in the tranny
- 10W-40 MCF (MCFQT-EA) in the primary

The 20W-50 is a give-me. The 75W-140 seemed to be favored and recommended over the typical 75w-90 because of the 6-speed tranny. The 10w-40 seemed to be slightly more favored/recommended in the primary because it's a little thinner and the main purpose of the oil here is to cool, not so much lubricate. But from what I've seen/read, many are using 20W-50 any many other variants in the primary. The general consensus seems to be that the primary isn't very picky and doesn't so much matter here as long as you have something in there. And although I believe that you can certainly go more miles on these synthetics, I'll personally still change mine out every 3,000-5,000 miles, mainly because I only put 4,000 on my bike in a little over a year so much more than that would leave the same oil sitting in there for two years. I just don't like that. So it's more of a time issue for me, at least for now. That may change now that I'm riding a Harley. I'm definitely racking up the mileage much quicker on my Fat Boy than I did on my old V-Star.

Good luck with the bike, man. Hope you love it as much as I love mine. It's looking killer!

Old 04-18-2011, 01:05 AM
BORRONGO
Stage IV

Here is mine...I haven't done anything to it yet, but after Stugis, it will be a differnt Bike....Love all the pictures posted here.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-fatboy3.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-fatboy1.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-mytoys.jpg  
Old 04-18-2011, 09:23 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikepett
After very extensive research, I'm going with Amsoil. From my research, Amsoil is about the best, followed very closely by Mobile1. But, again, from my research, I'm decided to go with:

(Amsoil)
- 20W-50 MCV (MCVQT-EA) in the crankcase
- 75w-140 Severe Gear (SVOQT-EA) in the tranny
- 10W-40 MCF (MCFQT-EA) in the primary

The 20W-50 is a give-me. The 75W-140 seemed to be favored and recommended over the typical 75w-90 because of the 6-speed tranny. The 10w-40 seemed to be slightly more favored/recommended in the primary because it's a little thinner and the main purpose of the oil here is to cool, not so much lubricate. But from what I've seen/read, many are using 20W-50 any many other variants in the primary. The general consensus seems to be that the primary isn't very picky and doesn't so much matter here as long as you have something in there. And although I believe that you can certainly go more miles on these synthetics, I'll personally still change mine out every 3,000-5,000 miles, mainly because I only put 4,000 on my bike in a little over a year so much more than that would leave the same oil sitting in there for two years. I just don't like that. So it's more of a time issue for me, at least for now. That may change now that I'm riding a Harley. I'm definitely racking up the mileage much quicker on my Fat Boy than I did on my old V-Star.

Good luck with the bike, man. Hope you love it as much as I love mine. It's looking killer!
Awesome thanks for the info! I think Amsoil does free oil analysis as well or atleast they do for diesel trucks. I'd never go over a year or 5,000 on my bike, like you I'd have to change it after a year. My 5K service is coming up and not sure if i should do it myself or not.

BORRONGO, you coming to Sturgis? You'll have to hit me up so we can ride. I live like 30 miles away.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Jim 2011 FB-LO
6th Gear
Default Already going broke

I ended up ordering my exhaust and intake today for the bike which still isn't here...It is supposed to be here tomorrow...I can only imagine it getting much worse when I actually have the bike.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners