Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:51 PM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's plain right now.. but I've got big hopes and dreams for her!! V&H pipes, V02 or SE intake and haven't decided on EFI controller either...

Old 04-04-2011, 03:04 PM
Caseyx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Ok, now that is funny. I feel ya, I just can't believe I didn't do that when I had mine apart.

****, I should take my forks apart while I am waiting on a few parts and send them to the PC'er...

I've read that it's dangerous...any truth to that?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:08 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx
****, I should take my forks apart while I am waiting on a few parts and send them to the PC'er...

Nope. Just have the bike up on a jack. If you have weight on them when you go to remove the top bolts, you'll get a surprise.

You have to remove:

Headlight
Tins behind headlight
wheel/brake/etc

Loosen pinch bolts, remove top cap bolts, pull them down and out of the trees. Disassemble on the bench.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM
SkinnyonFatboyLo
Cruiser

Hey quick question.... I really like the street slammer bars, but don't really like the price. Does anybody know which version of the wild1 bars match the closest to the HD bars? As far as the rise and pullback? Also I know that most people say you only have to change the brake line with the HD bars, is that the same with the wild1 Bars? Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Caseyx
Tourer

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Nope. Just have the bike up on a jack. If you have weight on them when you go to remove the top bolts, you'll get a surprise.

You have to remove:

Headlight
Tins behind headlight
wheel/brake/etc

Loosen pinch bolts, remove top cap bolts, pull them down and out of the trees. Disassemble on the bench.

Perfect! Already drained the brake fluid, in the middle of a bar swap now!

Old 04-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Matt990724
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SkinnyonFatboyLo
Hey quick question.... I really like the street slammer bars, but don't really like the price. Does anybody know which version of the wild1 bars match the closest to the HD bars? As far as the rise and pullback? Also I know that most people say you only have to change the brake line with the HD bars, is that the same with the wild1 Bars? Thanks in advance for the help.
I just put 6.5in risers on my stock bars... the line that is the tightest is the throttle line... brake line is second.. have plenty of electrical wire/clutch cable.

But, the 6.5 risers fit... not sure what that means re: different bars, but wanted to throw that out there.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM
BigRedFan74
Novice

Hey Nuts, I bought a layback and if you read the instructions it says "remove oem frame and discard". Laughing mao the whole time I was doing it, I slowly bent the orignal bracket to make room for removal - and of course- "discarded"

Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx

Input from the diddler.. if you look back a few pages I wrote a quick blurb on how to get the lowers off of the actual forks.. it's incredibly easy, and like a 5 step process:

..assuming you have the forks out of the housing..
1) Remove the drain screw from the back of the fork on the lower ends
2) Turn the fork upside-down, and look in the bottom. You'll notice a brass colored Allen-headed bolt sticking in the bottom of the fork. This holds the actually spring assembly to the lower fork. Remove these bolts.
3) Look in the top of the lower, there is a retension spring sitting there..it pops right out with a small screw driver, remove these and set them aside.
4) Put the end of the fork on a padded surface (a folded rag works) so that it is facing upright.. get a friend to hold the lowers with a downward force (try to keep the bottom planted on the ground)
5) You need to press downwards on the fork, then slam it upwards as hard as you can.. this will get the rubber ring inside to pop loose out of the lower..then the spring assembly will slide right out. Replace these rings, they're about $10 from Harley each, and idk the part number off the top of my head. And that's it!

...of course reassembly is much different..still relatively easy..
yeah.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:06 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arv
@ Willie & Jimsfbl
Your front fenders are very nice indeed, from where?
Also i see you got it lowered, that ride is just about perfect, what did you do bro?
I bought mine off of ebay for $106 shipped. It was raw tin, so I did all the sanding, priming and painting myself.

As far as lowering it, I have the shotgun shock (air ride).

Here are some pics to show the new fender next to the old for comparison on the paint matching the stock fender.

Thanks also for the comps! I'm sure Willie feels the same.

Name:  photo112.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  1.07 MB
Name:  photo115.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  919.7 KB
Name:  photo27.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  894.2 KB

I know the glare is bad, because I suk at taking pics hehe.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 04-04-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:35 PM
FBLJosh
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
I bought mine off of ebay for $106 shipped. It was raw tin, so I did all the sanding, priming and painting myself.

As far as lowering it, I have the shotgun shock (air ride).

Here are some pics to show the new fender next to the old for comparison on the paint matching the stock fender.

Thanks also for the comps! I'm sure Willie feels the same.
Did you have to modify the fender in any way? I like this mod and might do it if I can find a fender for the price you did!!

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners