Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
Rustoleum Painters Touch Flat Black...I have a list of like 4 rattle cans and I'm going down it until I find something I like. This is #2. So far so good. Still undecided whether to do my struts covers in flat or wrinkle?
Dr., It looks good! If you don't mind, when you find which rattler matches the best, can you hit me up and let me know the brand and where you got it?
I had a paint shop mix a match for me and I have used a spray gun up to this point, but that's a pain for small parts.

Hey Jim, You have gone further than I did, but it sounds like your getting some help from some that have been there. Keep posting the progress! Good luck.

Last edited by JIMSFBL; 03-14-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JIM, did you get a new kickstand with your shotgun? im having the bike lowered this friday (hopefully) and someone mentioned i need a new shorter kickstand, im about to order one from drag... any ideas?

Old 03-14-2011, 03:50 PM
ThePinger
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Dr., It looks good! If you don't mind, when you find which rattler matches the best, can you hit me up and let me know the brand and where you got it?
I had a paint shop mix a match for me and I have used a spray gun up to this point, but that's a pain for small parts.
You guys know that you can buy matched paint rattle cans from your local HD dealer right? I've seen gloss, flat, and black denim cans at mine. I wouldn't doubt if they have a spray wrinkle.

Last edited by ThePinger; 03-14-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:58 PM
ThePinger
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
argh this project is going from bad to worse.. there's one long bolt in the primary cover that's getting stuck behind the floorboard and i can't finagle it out, it's making for a sad monkey. and i actually found a set of picks down in my basement, and lo-and-behold they fit the holes on the wire jackets.. but i still can't get the daggum things to come loose. it's almost getting to the point where i might just end up slicing the wires, solder some extensions in, shrink wrap the bums and seal them up tight.

Trust me, you'll feel the difference when you get it to pop that first time, then you'll go one after the other easily. It is possible that the pick you are using is too sharp. Try the small paperclip like I suggested, just make sure to use an end that has a bit of a ramp to the metal (or file one in yourself). Once it hits bottom it should push in about another 1/8th" letting you know the pin is released (on the Molex connector).

As for the floorboard, yes it has to come off along with the jiffy stand. Don't fret though! It is just an opportunity for more powdercoating!!! I did my jiffy stand, shift levers, shifter arm, linkage, acorn nut and washer too!

Name:  FBLo6.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  63.5 KB

Old 03-14-2011, 04:03 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for that.. yeah she's up on a jack right now (haha if you go back a few pages you'll see she's sitting in my dining room with no front end on anymore).. just really bugging me that 1) i keep having to remove things that I don't want to, ultimately making the process take 3x as long as it should, and 2) I've discovered that quite a few of my bolts have been in metric sizes..several of the allen's were, and i've had a few 10mm and 14mm bolts. Though not quite as annoying as I make it sound, since I bought my dad a nice little Craftsman 255pc Mechanics Tool Set for christmas. huzzah.
Ok, here are some quick pics, and this is the signal one only. The other is much easier to get apart.

The connector

Note: This is right side up for removing the wires. The levered locking mechanism needs to be gently bent upwards from this end.

Inside the connector

See the little thing in the middle? That is the locking mechanism. The wire terminal goes in underneath it, and on the metal terminal there is a bump. When sliding in the terminal it goes past the locking mechanism which gets pushed up and then comes back down, thus locking in the terminal.

Slow and easy gets the job done.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:13 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rquirch
Hey JIM, did you get a new kickstand with your shotgun? im having the bike lowered this friday (hopefully) and someone mentioned i need a new shorter kickstand, im about to order one from drag... any ideas?
Yea they told me the same thing, but you won't need it.

th_GetAttachment1.jpg?t=1300136720
I dropped mine 3.5"s and I still use the stock jiffy. What I would suggest is lower it first, then decide what you like. When I park mine I'm at full slam most of the time and It dose NOT make my bike straight up and down. It sat it up about an 1" over normal.

The short stand layed by bike over to much for me. The jiffy is far enough forward on the lo, that it dosen't effect how she sits that much.

Old 03-14-2011, 04:15 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThePinger
You guys know that you can buy matched paint rattle cans from your local HD dealer right? I've seen gloss, flat, and black denim cans at mine. I wouldn't doubt if they have a spray wrinkle.
No I didn't, thanks Pinger!

Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM
mfmaine
Advanced

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
I dropped mine 3.5"s and I still use the stock jiffy. What I would suggest is lower it first, then decide what you like. When I park mine I'm at full slam most of the time and It dose NOT make my bike straight up and down. It sat it up about an 1" over normal.

The short stand layed by bike over to much for me. The jiffy is far enough forward on the lo, that it dosen't effect how she sits that much.
That's good to know! My Shotgun goes on this weekend

Old 03-14-2011, 06:03 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

thanks for that.. yeah she's up on a jack right now (haha if you go back a few pages you'll see she's sitting in my dining room with no front end on anymore).. just really bugging me that 1) i keep having to remove things that I don't want to, ultimately making the process take 3x as long as it should, and 2) I've discovered that quite a few of my bolts have been in metric sizes..several of the allen's were, and i've had a few 10mm and 14mm bolts. Though not quite as annoying as I make it sound, since I bought my dad a nice little Craftsman 255pc Mechanics Tool Set for christmas. huzzah.
SGT, before you fill the primary back up, remember to put the drain plug back in. Don't ask me how I know this valuable piece of knowledge.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to HD and asked about rattle cans and they told me they didn't sell them. If someone has a p/n for black denim please tell me.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners