Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
Sgt Jim, that's funny right there but to each his own! I'd probably have mine in the apt if I didn't live on the 2nd floor. What are you doing anyways?
Getting the forks, and brake rotors powder coated, and putting on some street slammers. gonna get the primary cover blacked and the rear rotor, but haven't gotten that far yet.

also got the new digital speed/analog tach and flush mount caps installed a few days ago

Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM
DaveFLSTFB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mfmaine
Just got back from the Northeast Motorcycle Expo.....My Lo won best in its class.
Congrats man!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:09 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Cool

Congrats mfmaine!

And I absolutely love that your bike is in pieces in your dining room Sgt. Jim. Glad to see you're working on it to make it yours. I love that tach/speedo by the way, look sick.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:15 PM
ThePinger
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Getting the forks, and brake rotors powder coated, and putting on some street slammers. gonna get the primary cover blacked and the rear rotor, but haven't gotten that far yet.

also got the new digital speed/analog tach and flush mount caps installed a few days ago

Might want to pull off that upper fork clamp and have it powdercoated black as well! Check out mine. I even did the fork tube caps and washers as well as the handlebar washers since I didn't like that gleaming circle of metal eyeballing me from under my new street slammers heh heh.

Name:  FBLo4.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  70.7 KB

By the way... most decent powdercoating operations will be able to get the HD brand black wrinkle powder for things like your primary, transmission side cover, cam cover, uppern and lower rocker boxes and such.

FYI: The stock clutch cable is workable with street slammers, but it is LONG with them. Earlier someone posted a HD cable chart, but HD has updated it recently to reflect diamond black clutch cable 38941-09A instead of the 38877-blah blah blah that was in the chart earlier on the forum. When I first pulled the cable out of the bag I thought it would be short, but it fit just right. It parallells the cross bar and the stem perfectly.

Last edited by ThePinger; 03-13-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah i've been staring at that part for the past few hours thinking to myself the exact same thing.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

...and so it begins. And yes, I don't have a garage, so we store our bikes in our dining room for the winter. That's how we roll.
LMFAO! Jim your f^*king crazy bro! You definitely belong on this forum. I thought I was obsessed with working on my bike lol. I love it!!!!!!!

Good thing I have a garage or mine would be in the house for winter mods also and that could wiegh heavy on the marriage thing.

kick some *** on those mods jim!

Old 03-13-2011, 09:36 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mfmaine
Just got back from the Northeast Motorcycle Expo.....My Lo won best in its class.
Way to go mfmaine! knocking one down for the lo brothers.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks man.. It's really funny when the tax assessor came in, or the public server guy comes in to read the gas meter and goes "um. Yeah. Bachelor pad, huh?"

Anyways.. for those of you that got your forks powder coated, did you guys have to disassemble the entire fork? i'm really trying to avoid doing that..i already drained the fluid and all that, but it really looks as if i could leave the springs and everything in, and they'll just tape off the part that doesn't need to be coated.. at least, that's what they did with my dad's brake rotors on his nighttrain, they actually taped off the part that the brake pad hits and did an almost perfect circle on the inside..looks pretty sharp.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:35 PM
ThePinger
Intermediate

Thanks man.. It's really funny when the tax assessor came in, or the public server guy comes in to read the gas meter and goes "um. Yeah. Bachelor pad, huh?"

Anyways.. for those of you that got your forks powder coated, did you guys have to disassemble the entire fork? i'm really trying to avoid doing that..i already drained the fluid and all that, but it really looks as if i could leave the springs and everything in, and they'll just tape off the part that doesn't need to be coated.. at least, that's what they did with my dad's brake rotors on his nighttrain, they actually taped off the part that the brake pad hits and did an almost perfect circle on the inside..looks pretty sharp.

1. The forks do need to be fully disassembled. Powdercoating bakes the paint on at 400ish degrees. Your fork seals cant take that. Any powdercoater worth their salt will also tell you that the devil is in the prep work when it comes to powdercoating. They should go through an extensive cleaning/degreasing process before they get painted. One drop of fork oil seeps out onto where it gets sprayed, and it will bubble/crack off.

2. You can't do this yourself. Please take that to heart. In gutting my bike, the forks were the only thing that I took into the dealership to have done. The fork springs are pre-loaded and if you try to pull the tube plugs out you will find a fork tube plug sized hole in your dining room ceiling (or your skull). The rebuild kit costs like $25 and to have them disassembled and reassembled cost me $50. Even IF you can find a way to safely shoot the plug into a mattress or something, compressing the spring to install the fork tube plug without stripping the threads takes 2 people + special tool part # 19879834IJFHE if ya catch my drift. Let THEM do it, that way if they jack it up THEY have to replace it

Old 03-14-2011, 08:42 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThePinger
1. The forks do need to be fully disassembled. Powdercoating bakes the paint on at 400ish degrees. Your fork seals cant take that. Any powdercoater worth their salt will also tell you that the devil is in the prep work when it comes to powdercoating. They should go through an extensive cleaning/degreasing process before they get painted. One drop of fork oil seeps out onto where it gets sprayed, and it will bubble/crack off.

2. You can't do this yourself. Please take that to heart. In gutting my bike, the forks were the only thing that I took into the dealership to have done. The fork springs are pre-loaded and if you try to pull the tube plugs out you will find a fork tube plug sized hole in your dining room ceiling (or your skull). The rebuild kit costs like $25 and to have them disassembled and reassembled cost me $50. Even IF you can find a way to safely shoot the plug into a mattress or something, compressing the spring to install the fork tube plug without stripping the threads takes 2 people + special tool part # 19879834IJFHE if ya catch my drift. Let THEM do it, that way if they jack it up THEY have to replace it
+1 on this Jim, I had my Indy do them.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners