Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 07:41 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Yeah I dont want to black out the light completely, just get it a bit darker than it is now
You should get the Kuryakyn LED light then but it didn't match my lenses perfectly but it's closer than clear vs. smoked. That's why I decided to black everything out.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm waiting to see some better pictures or videos or read some reviews of that D2Moto V3 LED taillight..whenever im ready to shell out another 50 bucks for it that is..

Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SuperGLow07
Yeah I just read some searches on the net saying it can be done just by sanding and using an acid etching primer. All the sources on the net say use 320, I would think that might leave small scratches and maybe I should use 1000.
Holy ***** 320 is for like body work. I use 1000,1500,2000,2500 anytime I paint something or when I buff scratches out of my vehicles. 1,000 is good if the paint runs but I wouldn't go any lower.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
Holy ***** 320 is for like body work. I use 1000,1500,2000,2500 anytime I paint something or when I buff scratches out of my vehicles. 1,000 is good if the paint runs but I wouldn't go any lower.
Thanks for the info. I think the suggested 320 was if the chrome was old and pitted. This will be a brand new piece from Harley, I would have to agree that 1000 at the lowest would be the best.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Are you just trying to scuff it up before painting? I have a 3M scuff pad that works fine on everything. Spray a primer, few coats of gloss black, wetsand, few coats of clear, and buff with rubbing compound if you have any. I can make rattle can paint look professional haha.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you just trying to scuff it up before painting? I have a 3M scuff pad that works fine on everything. Spray a primer, few coats of gloss black, wetsand, few coats of clear, and buff with rubbing compound if you have any. I can make rattle can paint look professional haha.
Don't underestimate the power and quality of the rattlecan.. it's like mouthwash for duct tape. Hairspray for zip ties. a cocktail for WD-40.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

I was just worried about the chrome. I was under the impression that chrome had to be prepared before painting as paint does not usually stick to it. Am I assuming wrong? What I read was a prep scenario to get the chrome ready for rattle can paint. Using a spray acid etching primer, regular primer, paint and clear coat.

Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

I don't have any experience painting actual chrome, just plastic pieces covered with that knockoff chrome. Either way it's gonna be black soon so might as well try whatever method you want. The worst that can happen is you have to spend a whopping $4 on another can of paint haha.

And how tall are you to have 18" apes? I'm 6'2" and my 16's are slightly above my shoulders. I bet you get that WTF? look from people driving by you while riding like I get.

Sgt Jim...that analogy is funny **** right there!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer

I don't have any experience painting actual chrome, just plastic pieces covered with that knockoff chrome. Either way it's gonna be black soon so might as well try whatever method you want. The worst that can happen is you have to spend a whopping $4 on another can of paint haha.

And how tall are you to have 18" apes? I'm 6'2" and my 16's are slightly above my shoulders. I bet you get that WTF? look from people driving by you while riding like I get.

Sgt Jim...that analogy is funny **** right there!
True story about the chrome, Ill figure it out. Should be good to go, might go get the stuff tomorrow.

I am actually 6'2" as well. I could have gone 16"s again like I had on the superglide, but I wanted the bada$$ look. I thought it might be slightly uncomfortable, but I have ridden it around for about 2 hours straight so far and its comfortable to me. I thought the stock bars were very uncomfortable for my elbows. I do get the WTF look all the time and people ask about them but they look sick as ****! lol

Old 03-11-2011, 01:16 AM
Caseyx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, off to get 3 hours of sleep then 200 miles to Daytona and it's going to be 40 degrees!

I'll be looking for inspiration...just need to decide what to do about wheels and a seat and then it's on the some serious engine work...

Hit me up if any of you will be there, I'm staying pretty close to Main Street, right on the beach. Even if it's to slam a quick beer down, on me, of course.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners