Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After I took pics I went to check the mail and got my license plate mount and put it on for some more pics. Took the taillight off to wetsand and clear it and painting the chrome mount flat black.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-imag0630.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-imag0633.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-imag0635.jpg  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

got a little salt on there, eh? tastey..

hey has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=416

i bought a laydown smoked taillight from jpcycles, and it was kinda dark when i installed it, but in the daylight it's not smoked but seems more clear.. now i've mounted it and opened the bags and all that so i dont want to pay a 15% restocking fee by sending it back.. although it's super-bright, i'm a little weary of tinting the taillight. though I had a thought of leaving the actual back part of teh light clear, and tinting the 4 sides (minus the spot where the license plate light shines through)..hmm..

Old 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
got a little salt on there, eh? tastey..

hey has anyone had any experience with this stuff?

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=416

i bought a laydown smoked taillight from jpcycles, and it was kinda dark when i installed it, but in the daylight it's not smoked but seems more clear.. now i've mounted it and opened the bags and all that so i dont want to pay a 15% restocking fee by sending it back.. although it's super-bright, i'm a little weary of tinting the taillight. though I had a thought of leaving the actual back part of teh light clear, and tinting the 4 sides (minus the spot where the license plate light shines through)..hmm..
It's sand from the maintenance guys that plow snow. Luckily they don't use salt on roads here.

That's the stuff I used to tint my bike. It goes on dark but if you have LED's, it won't be a problem. Mine only has 2 coats and it's black. I've used VHT nightshades before and didn't like it.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What does everyone think of painting the headlight trim ring instead of having it powder coated??

I was thinking about getting the visor style and painting it gloss to match the Vivid Black.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Mine's not LED, its standard bulb with a red bulb

which is why i'm hesitant to try to darken the housing.. i've got the HD smoked turn signal lenses on which by themselves are about the tint i was hoping for.. and why i'm thinking that if i were to do the edges of the housing of this taillight, it won't affect the brightness while viewing from the rear..

Old 03-10-2011, 07:27 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SuperGLow07
What does everyone think of painting the headlight trim ring instead of having it powder coated??

I was thinking about getting the visor style and painting it gloss to match the Vivid Black.
Earlier in this thread:

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Hey JIm,

A buddy of mine came by the house about a week or so ago to show me his trim ring that looked PCed. I held it up next to mine and said "great job bro". He said all he did was sand the chrome one, then primed it, sanded it again and then rattle canned it. I PCed mine and if I didn't just tell you what he did, you would not know the difference.

I wouldn't recommend this on larger parts, but I think it would work great for smaller parts trim ring size or smaller.

Though Jim if you read this, could you ask what grit sandpaper your friend used? i'd imagine somewhere between 1500-2000, no?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:28 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SuperGLow07

I bought 3 types of black paint today that according to a google search matches black denim so I can do mine. Cheaper than PC and if it scratches I can touch it up. Gloss on the other hand I'd probably pay to have done the right way. Or try some rattle can, wetsand, then clear yourself.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:32 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

SGT Jim, the Rustoleum or VHT wont match your HD lenses if you did the taillight. You'd have to do all 3 together like I did after I found out it doesn't match. YOu'd probably be ok with the red bulb. I still have the orange ones in my turn signals and you can see them fine.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah I dont want to black out the light completely, just get it a bit darker than it is now

Old 03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I just read some searches on the net saying it can be done just by sanding and using an acid etching primer. All the sources on the net say use 320, I would think that might leave small scratches and maybe I should use 1000.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners