Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Well I broke down on the Lo today for the first time. It was very hot and I was coming up to a stop light and she stalled. I rolled her into the gas station and let her cool down about 20 minutes and she started up and I was able to ride about 10 minutes albeit I could only go 30 MPH and it stalled again as I slowed for another stop light. I did not want to chance getting stranded again so I got a tow from HOG to my house. Any ideas of what to look for? Could the bike getting hot cause it stall?
Bob, sounds a lot like fuel pressure. Did any warning lights come on before it stalled or while you were riding and it wouldn't go over 30 mph?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:02 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Received 297 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Bob, sounds a lot like fuel pressure. Did any warning lights come on before it stalled or while you were riding and it wouldn't go over 30 mph?
Hey Chuck. No warning lights and I could go over 30 but when I conked out I was in a 35 zone so not that much faster. When I got her home after the tow I put her on the trickle charger and it took about 4 hours for her to charge. I did start a little slow before I left and actually the first time it did not start. The battery is about 2 1/2 - 3 years old. And I rode about 15 miles as fast as 70 before I stopped and after a 5 minute stop it conked at the first stop light about a mile later. I have been reading online about possible problems and there seem to be at least 10 things that people say could be the problem.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:13 AM
joebad
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I experienced the exact same issue some time ago. Battery. Get a new one.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:17 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Originally Posted by joebad
I experienced the exact same issue some time ago. Battery. Get a new one.
I just so happen to have a brand new battery on a trickle charger in my house so I will throw it in and report back. I need a pair of tires and fresh fluids so it would be nice to not conk on the way to the shop!

Old 09-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

I just so happen to have a brand new battery on a trickle charger in my house so I will throw it in and report back. I need a pair of tires and fresh fluids so it would be nice to not conk on the way to the shop!
Electrical will do some strange things, can't remember what year yours is but if it's an 11 or up it's a can-Bus bike and they rely heavily on a properly functioning electrical system. Sometimes heat is the worst problem for batteries and will make issues surface. Since you already have one on hand I would go ahead and try it. I have seen batteries pass a load test but still not function properly in hot conditions. Being stuck under the seat and surrounded by the oil tank is not a friendly place, be sure to check your grounds right behind the tank tab while you have the seat off.

Sometimes the fuel lines inside the tank become cracked, you may be able to see the fuel swirling inside the tank with the ignition on or another indication of this is it takes longer to prime or the pump continues to run when you first turn the ignition switch on

Good luck and let us know

Old 09-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master

It is a 2011 with about 9k miles. Thanks to all and I will be sure to update everyone.

Old 09-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Bob Z.
Road Master

Well it is not a bad battery. I put one yesterday and made it about 6 miles on the way to the bike shop before it stalled when I was coming to a stop sign. I let her sit a little bit, started her up and rode it home, where it stalled again as I was coming to a stop at my condo. The bike shop owner is on his way to my place now to tow it to his shop for new tires, 10k service and needless to say, figure out the problem! Stay tuned...

Old 09-29-2018, 08:58 AM
joebad
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it is not a bad battery. I put one yesterday and made it about 6 miles on the way to the bike shop before it stalled when I was coming to a stop sign. I let her sit a little bit, started her up and rode it home, where it stalled again as I was coming to a stop at my condo. The bike shop owner is on his way to my place now to tow it to his shop for new tires, 10k service and needless to say, figure out the problem! Stay tuned...
Sorry to hear that. Sounded exactly like the problem I had, one day (never before) the bike died multiple times each and every time I came to a stop. Mine would start up immediately after dying and ride fine until the next stop, which where I was riding, would be at least a couple of miles. I live in the Southern California Desert and ride sometimes in temperatures exceeding 110; my garage gets up to over 120 on many summer days. Batteries don't like that heat and don't last as long because of it. When I had the "stalling" problem, I took the battery out and had it tested at two different auto parts stores (I didn't trust the results from the first). Testing equipment at both shops reported that the battery passed and was still good. As the problem continued I decided just to try changing the battery as the one I was using was a couple of years old and like I said and knew from experience, they just don't like extreme heat. Changing the battery solved the problem for me. I also now put her on a Battery Tender almost all the time when not in use, from what I've read, doing so keeps the battery in better condition and can be particularly beneficial in high temperature conditions.

Old 09-29-2018, 09:45 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Attachment 619595

Well it finally happened. I know I haven't posted on this forum in quite sometime, mostly because I'm never on my computer anymore, but I ended up trading in my 2010 for a 2019 Street Glide Special. The woman made it quite clear she wanted something to go for long trips, with lugged and this that and the other thing. A lot of things fell in to the right places at the right time and I picked up the 2019 in Industrial Grey Denim with all the trimmings. Alas, I am still saddened :'(

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-pujzok8.jpg

Old 09-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 96 Posts

nice sled enjoy it i still have my fatboy lo

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners