Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
Stoneccw, I'll be getting a new Fat Boy Lo when I get back from afghanistan this fall. Is the exchange program really worth it? How much did you save if you don't mind me asking? My Fat Bob was totaled a couple of weeks ago so I'm moving up
ENCS gives an amazing deal! I got my 2011 while I was deployed for $2k lower than any dealership would do. And they had it waiting there right when I got back. I drove it from the shop the next day.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:58 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Default New parts!

So last week I ordered the V&H Twin Slash slip ons. A little while ago I won a sissy bar on eBay ($30!! Needs powdercoated though).

I also picked up the finned derby cover, timing cover, smoked turn signal lenses, some gloss black 16" LA Choppers ape hangers (Anyone have any experience with these? Quality product?), all of the extended cables (also LA Choppers), poly riser bushings, wiring extensions, and all of the gaskets and fluids I'll need as well as the fender bib. I got this all, surprisingly, at my local dealership for under $500! They beat everyone else's prices, by a long shot.

I also am planning on getting the console, risers (stock) and transmission cover powdercoated while I am taking apart the bike to do the handlebars. Me and a friend of mine are going to try to do the job instead of the dealership, they wanted $550 to do the job! But I do know it's a pretty long job.

I do have a question about the wiring extensions they sold me though, they gave me 2 sets of 12" extensions (I guess to link them together?). Does this sound right?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
So last week I ordered the V&H Twin Slash slip ons. A little while ago I won a sissy bar on eBay ($30!! Needs powdercoated though).

I also picked up the finned derby cover, timing cover, smoked turn signal lenses, some gloss black 16" LA Choppers ape hangers (Anyone have any experience with these? Quality product?), all of the extended cables (also LA Choppers), poly riser bushings, wiring extensions, and all of the gaskets and fluids I'll need as well as the fender bib. I got this all, surprisingly, at my local dealership for under $500! They beat everyone else's prices, by a long shot.

I also am planning on getting the console, risers (stock) and transmission cover powdercoated while I am taking apart the bike to do the handlebars. Me and a friend of mine are going to try to do the job instead of the dealership, they wanted $550 to do the job! But I do know it's a pretty long job.

I do have a question about the wiring extensions they sold me though, they gave me 2 sets of 12" extensions (I guess to link them together?). Does this sound right?

The only reason I can think that there are two sets of 12" extensions is because there are two separate harnesses in the handle bars. One to the right side controls and one for left side. I did not purchase one of these kits for mine, I went to the autoparts store and got a roll of wire and extended mine and soldered and heat shrinked all the connections. I have heard horror stories about the extension kits coming apart. I see you already have cables, for any body that wants sick black cables, magnum shielding makes black pearl cables in any plus length up to +12. I love the cables.

Last edited by Lawleywood; 03-03-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:54 PM
The_Prospect
Novice

saved over 2k with the encs deal... basically got the ext 5 yr. and abs/sec for free. every dealer i talked with said they can't compete... encs is set up to thank the military!

Get*R*Done

Old 03-04-2011, 08:12 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

SuperGLow: Those bars are sick! 18s or 20s? Most likely I will end up doing the same thing and then just return the wires with the connectors (the price tag on them said $40 per set!). I took them out yesterday and I just, for some reason, do not think they are long enough. Plus I think running straight wires through everything would be alot cleaner and easier than dealing with the connectors.

So I am probably going to start tearing down the bike either this or next weekend (gotta use up all the gas before I take the tank off).

So I am planning to powdercoat the console. But do you guys think I should get the whole thing powdercoated or just powdercoat the sideas and leave the top alone so there is still some satin chrome accents on it? I like the idea of just doing the sides but I don't know how great the seperation line will be between the black powdercoat and the satin chrome.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer

SuperGLow: Those bars are sick! 18s or 20s? Most likely I will end up doing the same thing and then just return the wires with the connectors (the price tag on them said $40 per set!). I took them out yesterday and I just, for some reason, do not think they are long enough. Plus I think running straight wires through everything would be alot cleaner and easier than dealing with the connectors.

So I am probably going to start tearing down the bike either this or next weekend (gotta use up all the gas before I take the tank off).

So I am planning to powdercoat the console. But do you guys think I should get the whole thing powdercoated or just powdercoat the sideas and leave the top alone so there is still some satin chrome accents on it? I like the idea of just doing the sides but I don't know how great the seperation line will be between the black powdercoat and the satin chrome.

They are 18" Gangster Apes from Carlinis.

It really depends on the height of the bars you use for how long the extensions are, but if I remember correctly the extensions I made were only like 6 or 8 inches long. Remember to stagger the connections too, it will make it a lot easier going through the bars.

You don't have to run your fuel tank empty either or take it off for that matter. All you have to do is remove the pressure line from the lower left side of the tank. Before you do that pull the fuel pump relay and crank the bike 3 or 4 times for a couple seconds to release the pressure. It is a quick release fitting, you just push up on it. Remove the seats and both tank bolts and you can pull the tank back plenty far enough to access all the connectors needed.

To figure out how long your extensions need to be, mount the bars in the position close to what you think for riding, then cut a piece of wire off your spool thats about 3 feet long. Run the wire down through the bars and route it as if you were going to connect it to the connector. Cut the wire about 2" out of the hole at the grip portion of the bar. Take that total length and subtract it from the factory harness to give you your extension length. Works perfect, thats how I did it. There is a little extra wiring but does not stretch at all when turned lock to lock. Should be good to go. Take your time and make sure all your connections are good. I kinda hurried when I did my first set on my old super glide and ended up having to take it all back apart... not fun at all!

Captain, If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I do have the manual as well which does make it much easier. Always happy to help out.

Last edited by Lawleywood; 03-04-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:06 AM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Thanks for the tip. I need all the tips I can get before I jumo into this. I have a pretty good amount of mechanical experience, but never on a bike, and that makes me nervous as hell.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Thanks for the tip. I need all the tips I can get before I jumo into this. I have a pretty good amount of mechanical experience, but never on a bike, and that makes me nervous as hell.
Don't be nervous its actually fairly easy. Like I said any questions feel free to ask. Another tip for you is pulling the pins out of the connectors can be difficult if you do not have the "pin puller". For the oval style duetz connectors a larger sewing needle taped to a screw driver works perfectly fine and for the flat connector (turn signals) a flat blade eye glass screw driver works well.

I do have quite a bit of mechanical experience on cars and heavy equipment, when it comes to wiring its all pretty much the same. Just remember to take your time and you will be golden!

Old 03-04-2011, 10:18 AM
FatBoyLarry
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperGLow07
Don't be nervous its actually fairly easy. Like I said any questions feel free to ask. Another tip for you is pulling the pins out of the connectors can be difficult if you do not have the "pin puller". For the oval style duetz connectors a larger sewing needle taped to a screw driver works perfectly fine and for the flat connector (turn signals) a flat blade eye glass screw driver works well.

I do have quite a bit of mechanical experience on cars and heavy equipment, when it comes to wiring its all pretty much the same. Just remember to take your time and you will be golden!
Talk to us about your Bub slip-on's...

I was thinking about a set of V&H in black...those Bub's look like the factory mufflers in color...I kinda like the satin silver mufflers w/ the black head pipes...

How do you like the Bub's? Sound?

TIA...

Old 03-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Lawleywood
Tourer

Originally Posted by Murderface
Everytime I look on here, I want more parts. You guys are killin me!

Right now Im trying to decide on some new bars. Im checking out the Nash MoCo bars. I cant decide between the Gimp or Grit Hangers. Anyone runnin these bars?

Is there any reason I would need to get 1 1/4' inch bars? They are twice as much $$$ as the 1" versions, and im not really sure its worth it. Ideas on that?
I personally have the Carlini Gangster Apes, love the look and the quality is superior, they are 1 1/4. The main reason we are using the 1 1/4 apes is because it looks tons better IMO, plus it saves you from changing out your risers. The bars on a stock fatboy lo are 1 1/4, they do not recess to 1" like many risers do. Just saves you from buying risers. Plus as another guy said it just would not look right with as beefy as the bike is.

Fatboy Larry

The Bubs are actually chrome, the lighting just happened to be right to give the satin look. I went with them because I picked them up brand new when I got the bike for 125 bucks I think, and that was shipped. They sound awesome, not gonna lie. I really love the sound. Its true harley and deep rumble. I am actually going with the Samson street sweepers I think in sinister black. Will be ordering those next week when I get back from vacation. I like the all black pipe.

Last edited by Lawleywood; 03-04-2011 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners