Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 06:07 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got the damnedest thing going on... replacing my turn signal bulbs with Custom Dynamics LED inserts and for some reason the right rear won't work. If I switch it with the left rear, it's still the right rear that doesn't work. Almost like there's something defective with the socket/signal housing. It works fine with the factory incandescent bulbs though. I peered inside the two sockets the best I could and everything looks the same.

It's the same signal that was replaced after my bike got nailed, but I can't see where that would change anything. I may actually have to have the dealer check it out though.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts

i tried some of those and also had the same issue, thought maybe it was me. the regular bulbs work fine

Old 01-27-2016, 06:22 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

it's been killing me, but i had to do a skull somewhere on my bike. found the perfect place.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-20160127_185930.jpeg  
Old 01-27-2016, 06:25 PM
Mother
Road Captain

There you go! Nice choice.

Old 01-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

C'mon spring, or at least somewhat warm weather by the end of march. i gotta ride up to the Pocono mountains April 1rst

Old 01-27-2016, 06:52 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mother
I've got the damnedest thing going on... replacing my turn signal bulbs with Custom Dynamics LED inserts and for some reason the right rear won't work. If I switch it with the left rear, it's still the right rear that doesn't work. Almost like there's something defective with the socket/signal housing. It works fine with the factory incandescent bulbs though. I peered inside the two sockets the best I could and everything looks the same.

It's the same signal that was replaced after my bike got nailed, but I can't see where that would change anything. I may actually have to have the dealer check it out though.
Check to see if you have any codes. I had LED in the front, they did flash properly, but indicator on console flashed like heck. The system threw codes saying the bulbs were burnt out. fast blink bothered me so back in went the incandescents...

Canbus seems to be finicky with LEDs. Most work just fine, others not so much.

I can remember someone having the same issue on here, but damned if I can remember which thread. Seems to me he had the exact same issue.

I removed my rear signals, they are integrated in my tail light now

Old 01-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Kochino
Hi there fellow lo riders...

Spring is around the corner and I'm trying to order my stuff so that'll I'll be ready for summer.

Now where is the forum that holds all the lo photos? (I need to steal some ideas)

Here you go...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...y-lo-pics.html

Old 01-27-2016, 07:08 PM
Mother
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Gommee
Check to see if you have any codes. I had LED in the front, they did flash properly, but indicator on console flashed like heck. The system threw codes saying the bulbs were burnt out. fast blink bothered me so back in went the incandescents...

Canbus seems to be finicky with LEDs. Most work just fine, others not so much.

I can remember someone having the same issue on here, but damned if I can remember which thread. Seems to me he had the exact same issue.

I removed my rear signals, they are integrated in my tail light now
Yeah, I've done the integrated thing before on some other bikes, but they all had wider tail lights than this one so I wanted to keep them separate. I really didn't expect to have any issues as every thread I've seen talks about how awesome they are. I did the dynamic ringz in the front and they are working just fine.

I'm not sure how I would check for codes... I don't have any kind of malfunction light coming on...

Old 01-27-2016, 07:53 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

I do not think the bike flashes a warning when it thinks it has a burnt out bulb.

This thread will help, it describes older bikes, but basically the same.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...des-dtc-s.html

If you have a service manual, it goes through the procedure.

I did a search, but could not find the post about your signal issue. I do remember it in this forum though.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:57 PM
Mother
Road Captain

I tried running the flashers for 5 or 6 minutes as that's supposed to re-sync the canbus system, but that didn't make any difference.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

If I have no success I need to take my bike back to the dealer to swap the rear fender anyway, so I'll just have them check it out at the same time.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners