Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:50 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx
Are there any benefits to installing the open belt drive besides looks?
Actually...yes! You don't have to change primary fluid anymore. That advantage takes a HELL of a long time to pay for itself, tho, with the cost of adding an OP.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Actually...yes! You don't have to change primary fluid anymore. That advantage takes a HELL of a long time to pay for itself, tho, with the cost of adding an OP.
LOL you had to reach for that one. I could name pros and cons for both, but the real reason is LOOKS! ask the guys that bought em, thats why I would.

Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Caseyx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another poster said there were other benefits on the related BDL thread. I think it looks badass, The belt moves even when the bike is standing still? My kids or dogs would be in danger...lol

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
(i) lower rotating mass (ii) the enclosed belt drive brings the mass of the primary closer to the centerline of the bike for better balance ... a couple of benefits that sold me ...

I think BDL, a well established industry player, is willing to give the buyer a good value ... I think some of the vendors have just been trying to get whatever price 'the market will bear' ... and, when you had a frenzy of outrageous high-dollar choppers a few years back, I guess people were not loath to drop 2-3 large or more for a belt drive ....

I got my setup (enclosed belt drive) for under 550 (forget actual amt paid just now) ....

Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 PM
musicnbikes
Road Master
Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Caseyx
Another poster said there were other benefits on the related BDL thread. I think it looks badass, The belt moves even when the bike is standing still? My kids or dogs would be in danger...lol
The belt always moves. It looks cool, and is not really that noisy, either.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:34 AM
SuspendedUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my setup (enclosed belt drive) for under 550 (forget actual amt paid just now) ....

WHAT!!!!! as far as i know the BDL kits go for about 2 grand.

am i wrong? MusicnBikes, do you mind telling us a ballpark of what you paid?????

if these are under 600 bucks im getting one next week!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:17 AM
Murderface
Tourer

Originally Posted by rquirch

WHAT!!!!! as far as i know the BDL kits go for about 2 grand.

am i wrong? MusicnBikes, do you mind telling us a ballpark of what you paid?????

if these are under 600 bucks im getting one next week!

if you make the change, you gonna sell your primary cover? if so id be interested.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:18 PM
slowhand
Cruiser

Well, traded in the '04 Road King Classic two weeks ago (motor blew up after 138,000 miles - she died a hero). Here is the new scooter.

All I've done is:

Heritage Bars
Steel Braided Cables
V&H Sig Shots
Stage 1 with Harley Race Tuner
Move front turn signals to forks
Smoke all lenses including tail light
Lay down license plate mount

Only plans I have right now are to remove the reflectors and black out the bolts on the rear fender. I think it will look pretty damn sharp then.

The only thing I miss about the RKC is the stopping power of the dual disc brakes in the front.

A quick cell phone pic -

Last edited by slowhand; 01-22-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Slowhand, how did you relocate the signals?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:09 PM
SuspendedUser
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Murderface
if you make the change, you gonna sell your primary cover? if so id be interested.
dude if i can get a bdl for that prices i'll give you the damm cover!

Old 01-22-2011, 10:21 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As to the benefits of belt drives... opinions abound. But I can tell you the following from having one on my FXR for years - BDL 3".

1) Lower rotating mass as someone mentioned, and it is instantly noticable in the transfer of power, not even debatable. Think about it, you just lost about 20lbs of mass from the sprockets to the chain.

2) No more primary fluid changes. Maybe not a huge money saver, but time and effort minused over the years makes you smile when it's time. They are virtually maintenance free.

3) Dry clutch, rattles & whines a bit more (or a lot, depending on your tolerance level), but it grabs like hell when set up properly, and it is fully adjustable to your power setup.

4) Put 30K on mine before I sold it, never a hickup, not one adjustment, and half those miles were on Alaskan back roads. I'd like to hear more about these newer 2" belts, but my 3" was tough as nails.

5) If you ever did need to change the belt, it's about a 15 minute deal and can be done on the side of the road with minimal tools.

-----------------------------------------------

To the musicn* bike above ... very nice looking setup !! I love that black case & cover with the polished contrasting aluminum. Not available when I did mine.

Last edited by thealaskan; 01-22-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners