Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:13 AM
darkwolf19
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflectors?

New to the forums. Had my fatboy lo for a few months now, was curious if there's anything law wise (illegal) against taking the reflectors off the front forks and rear struts. Also any tricks to take them off also. Thanks

Old 06-10-2014, 05:32 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by darkwolf19
New to the forums. Had my fatboy lo for a few months now, was curious if there's anything law wise (illegal) against taking the reflectors off the front forks and rear struts. Also any tricks to take them off also. Thanks
Reflector laws vary from state to state. Most are never hassled over not having them. I have always used a heat gun/Blow Dryer to heat them up and then pry them off with a plastic putty knife. Goo Gone or other adhesive remover will clean up the residue.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:08 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hawaii's motorcycle inspection...

LIGHTS AND REFLECTORS
Fail if:
Missing
Damaged so light shows through the damaged portion of the lens (no tape repairs, but glue is OK)
Not properly or securely installed
Not of an approved type or color (See tables III and IV and Hawaii Administrative Rules 19-132)
Obscured or blocked in any manner or is covered with material which is non-transparent and which diminishes the function of the lamp, lens or reflectors so as to put it out of compliance with FMVSS and Local laws, ordinances and rules (burden of conformance is on the owner)
Inoperable or operates improperly
Headlamp cannot produce light sufficient to reveal any person or object straight ahead at a distance of 200 feet.
Headlamp not properly aimed or there are more than 2

...so..all it says about reflectors is don't have odd colors or lights that screw with them. It doesn't say anything about removing them, and there's a few people on this forum in Hawaii without reflectors on their bikes.

But yeah, hot air gun/blow dryer..i used a piece of braided fishing line to peel mine off, then goo-gone'd the glue

Old 06-10-2014, 02:26 PM
Lightafatty
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cwilliams
So I took your advice... on a few things. went with the alloyart signals, flipped mirror. SMW wheels and thicker 1.5" todd's bars. what do u think?

Nice job! I really like the fatter bars.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:38 PM
darkwolf19
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Hawaii's motorcycle inspection...

LIGHTS AND REFLECTORS
Fail if:
Missing
Damaged so light shows through the damaged portion of the lens (no tape repairs, but glue is OK)
Not properly or securely installed
Not of an approved type or color (See tables III and IV and Hawaii Administrative Rules 19-132)
Obscured or blocked in any manner or is covered with material which is non-transparent and which diminishes the function of the lamp, lens or reflectors so as to put it out of compliance with FMVSS and Local laws, ordinances and rules (burden of conformance is on the owner)
Inoperable or operates improperly
Headlamp cannot produce light sufficient to reveal any person or object straight ahead at a distance of 200 feet.
Headlamp not properly aimed or there are more than 2

...so..all it says about reflectors is don't have odd colors or lights that screw with them. It doesn't say anything about removing them, and there's a few people on this forum in Hawaii without reflectors on their bikes.

But yeah, hot air gun/blow dryer..i used a piece of braided fishing line to peel mine off, then goo-gone'd the glue
Thanks Sgt Jim. I'm only on this rock for a couple more months anyways. Sounds like another piece to add to my weekend list

Old 06-11-2014, 09:38 AM
HaroKing
Stage I

Originally Posted by rmoltzjr
Total transformation
I was wondering what brand your highway bar and fender are and what type of price they where

Old 06-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Wes-Squatch
4th Gear

13 Fat Boy lo... Just about to hit 500 miles (It was a leftover and bought it last month! I do ride it!)

Have stage 1, fwd controls, and security. Ordered 16 inch Hill COuntry Customs bars and cables, so apes will be on hopefully next week

Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Wes-Squatch
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I would shoot for $12K even at $12,800 seems like a decent deal. My local dealer has a 2011 in vivid black 13,000 miles on it and their asking price is $15,700.

I was surprised at the prices people were asking for used bikes! I saw $16k, $17k!

I got my leftover 13 in May for $15,200 stock...

Old 06-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Wes-Squatch
I was surprised at the prices people were asking for used bikes! I saw $16k, $17k!

I got my leftover 13 in May for $15,200 stock...
I just recently saw a local ad for a 09 Crossbones with V&H pipes and A/c 8,000 miles and the guy wanted $22,000 because he thinks it is a rare bike.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Wes-Squatch
4th Gear

Jeeze, I bought my Boner in March with 13k miles for $15k and it had a lot of accessories

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners