Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FBLGODRO
I'm looking to buy an Arlen Ness big sucker stage one filter that goes underneath the stock cover of my 2013. I tried to find the exact part number on AN website but their site is not working, anyone has the part number?
So how about that..their site really isn't working.. still.. it had issues with it months ago, too. Anywho..there's different part numbers depending on the color backing plate you're looking for.

(These are the KITS)
From the catalog (which is downloadable from their site):
Backing Plate / Part Number
Plain / 18-505
Chrome (standard Filter) / 18-507
Black (standard Filter) / 18-561
Chrome (Stainless filter) / 18-515
Black (Stainless filter ) / 18-571

(For the filter by itself)
Stainless / 18-084
Standard Big Sucker / 18-098
note The standard big sucker filter is a K&N HD-0800 .. you can save $10 by buying the filter from K&N rather than Ness.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:03 AM
FBLGODRO
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, even the catalog download is crashing on their website...got it after 5 attemps!

Old 05-25-2014, 01:53 PM
JSharp
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MyBigBlue
Anyone try the Bikers Friend luggage without a sissy bar or rack on their lo? They make a suction cup fender rest to keep from scratching the fender. Thinking of doing some overnight trips this year. Don't need much, but the swing arm bag probably won't cut it. Thanks (any other opinions welcome)
I have a medium bikers friend bag and really like it. It is good on long rides especially with the little backrest attached. I have attached it on top of the stock passenger pillion and it works fine but I wouldn't let my whole weight rest on it. It might be fine but.... Usually I put on the quick detach bar and back rest and strap on the bag. If I have a rider I just move the bag to the rack. It also has a handle making it easy to detach and carry. I will try to attach a picture.

Hog rally this week in Cookeville TN looking forward to some great rides.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-pic1.jpg  
Old 05-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Mikula
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

anyone have a service manual for the 2010? i gotta figure out how to get the fork tubes apart and springs out to put in the progressive drop-in kit and i'm having a hell of a time figuring it out. i don't want to have to take the forks off the bike to do the job, and i'm told that's not necessary. gotta get my hands on one of those manuals, but for now, i'd like to not have my bike on the lift so i can RIDE! (and post pictures of course)

Old 05-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mikula
anyone have a service manual for the 2010? i gotta figure out how to get the fork tubes apart and springs out to put in the progressive drop-in kit and i'm having a hell of a time figuring it out. i don't want to have to take the forks off the bike to do the job, and i'm told that's not necessary. gotta get my hands on one of those manuals, but for now, i'd like to not have my bike on the lift so i can RIDE! (and post pictures of course)
If it has to do with the fork springs, it's very necessary to take the forks off the bike. I've typed up something on how to take the forks completely apart, but it's buried somewhere in this thread (good luck finding it). So i'll take my manual in to work and try to scan the pages and PM them to you in a little while.

But yeah, definitely get your hands on one of those manuals

Softail Models 2010 Harley Davidson Service Manual: Harley Davidson: Amazon.com: Books Softail Models 2010 Harley Davidson Service Manual: Harley Davidson: Amazon.com: Books
(there are cheaper places out there)

Old 05-27-2014, 06:41 AM
ADRENALINE RUSH
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
...I've typed up something on how to take the forks completely apart, but it's buried somewhere in this thread (good luck finding it)...
there you go...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/11699205-post10360.html

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Okay... Removing the forks:

When you get some of the pressure off the front tire (meaning put the bike on your lift), but not so high that the tire is off the ground..so barely touching....KEEP THE REAR TIRE ON THE GROUND

remove the fender (2 bolts/nuts on either side),

unbolt the brake caliper from the bike.. they say to remove it completely, but that means draining the brakes then bleeding them..blah blah blah.. look.. take a piece of cardboard and shove it between the brake pads, that way if someone hits the lever by accident, the brakes won't lock open.. just take a piece of string and tie the caliper to your handlebars or to the A-frame of the bike and it'll be out of the way

loosen up the axle nuts (but don't remove them yet),

loosen up the 4 bolts (two on either side) on the bottom of the forks..

once those are loose, then you can remove the axle nut and slide the axle out. (there is grease/never-seeze on the axle, so it's messy, have some paper towels ready)
...once you slide the axle out, you'll see why i said keep the rear tire on the ground..because the bike will want to flip backwards since you're taking the weight of the front tire off.

okay, axle is out, roll the front tire out from between the forks and put that aside.

there are 2 pinch bolts on the lower triple tree which is hidden behind the "headlight shroud"..that metal crap. So..you can either remove the headlight completely, or if you have a combination wrench, you can remove just the back parts and side parts (the 4 bolts[2 on either side] of the forks, and i think 3? torx bolts on the back), and the front will be able to be pulled far enough out to get at those bolts..you can loosen those up, the pinch bolts don't need to be completely removed

once those are loosened, all that's holding the forks in place are the top fill nuts on the top of the triple trees.. get yourself a plumbers wrench or something and loosen those up (they're not that tight) with one hand, and hold on to the forks and they'll drop right out.

The braided metal gasket should be your exhaust gaskets. They're cheap from the dealer. I always say "Replace gaskets every time"..its just a piece of mind thing, though I've gotten away with reusing the stock gaskets a few times since they only had a few hundred miles on them. so it's up to you

I've never had any experience with Parkerizing anything, though if they do it to guns without issues, I don't see why it wouldn't work for bolts.. though if they could just do it to the bolt heads and leave the threads alone, i think you'd be better off.

And my shifter **** is actually a Kuryakyn ISO piece that i truck-bed-lined wrinkle black, since they don't offer them in black. It matches my grips. The bolt that holds it on I also truck-bed-lined black.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:46 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ADRENALINE RUSH
Haha look at this guy! On the ball!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:33 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Old 05-27-2014, 08:23 AM
JRuss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is the purpose of removing the forks to change out the springs?
are they not accessible from the top? that's how I've always changed them out on sporty's.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JRuss
what is the purpose of removing the forks to change out the springs?
are they not accessible from the top? that's how I've always changed them out on sporty's.
Not really the drop in kit like you thought it would be.
Works great for Sporties and Dyna's. But on our bikes you can not pull the springs out unless you drop the forks some. The forks have a top cap and then the fork tube plug that needs to be removed that is below the triple tree. Below image may help.
Name:  Forks_zpsfad77046.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  69.7 KB

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners