Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a little work on the Lo today. I got my new leatherpros in today and installed them. Only took about an hour and went pretty smooth. Only one garage pic so far I'll try to get some better ones this weekend. The other thing I did was install the new Throttle Position Sensor that I picked up. It was a bit of a pain till I had a genius moment. The first part of the procedure involves removing the air cleaner and backing plate which is no big deal and went smooth. The second part requires removing the old sensor and installing the new one. Sounds simple enough and it would be except that the back bolt is right next to the rear cylinder leaving no room to get a torx bit back there. I had an L shaped wrench that worked for a bit to remove the old one. When installing the new one I started to worry that the screw was going to round off since it was so hard to hold the L shaped wrench in place. My a ha solution was to use a 1/4 inch wrench to turn a T-20 bit I found in my tool box. It worked perfectly and I'm looking forward to trying the same thing on the next pain in the butt screw/bolt I come across. I only had time tonight to get the sensor installed. The backing plate is going to have to wait till I can pick up a new gasket for the backing plate and O rings for the breather bolt. Someone mentioned on another thread that their idle problem was fixed by replacing the vehicle speed sensor so I might pick one of those up even though it's install will be even more of a pain since I'll have to remove the rear fuze panel to get to it. I'll probably go ahead and pick up the part but wait to install it till I've had a chance to see if the new throttle sensor works. The bike stumbled twice on the way home today so I'm hoping I can solve this problem quickly

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-img_0937.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-img_0938.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I hope you get her running right. I really like the Leather Pro bags. If I decide to get a set they will be the LP4000's Plain.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Mikeskins
Tourer

Finally got her back. I had Progressive monotubes -1" put in it. Ride wright 21x3.5 Fat 50 with Avon 120/70. I had the lower forks, cowbells, top trees, crash bars(they were scuffed up), turn signal kit, visored headlamp covers powdercoated. The tech told me it had no give and that I better hold on to it. It was definately stiffer than stock, a forum member talked me out of doing the -2" because of stiffness. Still getting use to the big front end and how that tire grips.
I rode her home like this.
Name:  7d9d9b5364588857e9857598254ef0b5_zps15b5014f.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  826.4 KB
Name:  a831f8758e52f587f638304faa217e57_zps529046cb.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  1,023.1 KB
Name:  a49ab4cd461f4664b911795031ea85da_zpscb88b3e6.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  838.8 KB
Got it all put on except the visors. It was getting too late I'll do that in the morning before I ride to panama city beach. Don't mind the primered front fender, I'll eventually get the bike all painted and put the trim on it. Too poor to do that anytime soon though.
Name:  8ab43e56adec967158eee30c653dc7fa_zpsa3b7ac06.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  1,018.6 KB
Name:  d5b139a46c52f09ac0ccfe3474c09099_zpsf8d5b5a9.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  825.3 KB

Old 09-13-2013, 12:02 AM
SwiftyBKells
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great job Mike, looks sick! You running shotgun in the back?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Mikeskins
Tourer

SAS air ride. I'll put a SS on it if i win the thanksgiving giveaway/mine dies/or when I build my next bike. Whichever comes first. Only reason I didn't go with the SS when I got mine was I have ABS and I had read at the time the compressor was too big to mount in the stock set up so I would have to put it somewhere else. Didn't want to be bothered with it. Thanks man, ride safe.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I hope you get her running right. I really like the Leather Pro bags. If I decide to get a set they will be the LP4000's Plain.
They are the easiest locking leather bags I've seen, just stick the key in, turn it and done. The leather works had the locking mechanism in the front of the lid but in the top of the lid was a saw tooth shaped piece of metal that had to be stuck in a channel down the inside of the bag while the lock was turned. It was just as much of a pain to use as it sounds so I never used it. I was going to go with plain LP4000's but I decided I liked the added character I guess of the over straps. I had them on my old bags so I know they add some function too since you can over pack the bags a bit when needed. One thing I forgot to mention was that they told me my rear Michellin Commander II was ok with a decent amount of tread but the front one needed to be replaced pretty soon. I don't have any pics but does that make any sense to anybody? They were put on at the same time.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:01 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6am.. 1 hour until my trip.. from Jersey down to the York, PA Manufacturing plant to do the tour and see them build the bikes, then putter down to Front Royal, VA for the night, wake up, hop on Skyline Drive for a few hundred miles, and over the next few days go down the Blue Ridge Parkway, then over to the Tail of the Dragon @ Deal's Gap, NC, then back up through Knoxville, TN and home. Should be interesting, seeing as it's already raining out right now.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeskins
SAS air ride. I'll put a SS on it if i win the thanksgiving giveaway/mine dies/or when I build my next bike. Whichever comes first. Only reason I didn't go with the SS when I got mine was I have ABS and I had read at the time the compressor was too big to mount in the stock set up so I would have to put it somewhere else. Didn't want to be bothered with it. Thanks man, ride safe.
I've got ABS and fitted the shotgun recently. JD has it figured out though: for the ABS model, the compressor has a little mounting bracket and piggy-backs off the shock front mount bolts and fits nicely in the space between the shock and the trans.

The only disadvantage of this compared to the common mounting method is that the compressor has to come off too when dropping the shock to change oil. Not a big deal.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:36 AM
Lone wolf lo 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
6am.. 1 hour until my trip.. from Jersey down to the York, PA Manufacturing plant to do the tour and see them build the bikes, then putter down to Front Royal, VA for the night, wake up, hop on Skyline Drive for a few hundred miles, and over the next few days go down the Blue Ridge Parkway, then over to the Tail of the Dragon @ Deal's Gap, NC, then back up through Knoxville, TN and home. Should be interesting, seeing as it's already raining out right now.
Weather here is dropping I live about a hour or so from skyline, beautiful ride, we do it a few times a year, done the York thing a few times pretty cool, ride safe

Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
Sounds like a nice ride Jim, we got to do a walk through of the power train facility while we were in Milwaukee. Its pretty cool to see how they make these things. Ride safe man!

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners