Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 06:57 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by td234
Okay, I am looking at the following:

Primary Cover
6-speed trans cover
cam cover
hand levers
brake pedal
shifter arm

I can get matte black or wrinkle black. I want matte on hand levers, and pedal arms. What about the 3 engine covers? Anyone seen these covers in matte or wrinkle? Who's got an opinion?
Primary Cover, Shift linkage and shifter arm, levers in black:

levers : http://www.jpcycles.com/product/502-100

Brake pedal, 6-speed trans cover (which is actually called the clutch housing cover):

engine covers are up to you. I'm leaving mine because they add some contrast to the bike. In fact, once I find someone locally who can match that brushed chrome color, im going to buy the kuryakyn engine lower cover for the primary side to add more contrast to that side.

If you want to do it yourself to get an idea.. go out and get a can of Rustoleum truck bed liner, remove the items, scuff them up real good, and paint them with that stuff. it pretty much matches the wrinkle powder coat.. well.. if you do that, then you'll probably end up getting them powdercoated anyways.

Old 08-16-2013, 08:19 AM
JRuss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have the shift linkage, etc. PCd? Or are those HD parts?

Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
td234
Cruiser

Thanks Jim. Haven't seen your bike in a while. Looks sweet.

Yesterday I ordered the following:

primary cover WRINKLE BLACK
outer 6 speed cover WRINKLE BLACK
cam cover WRINKLE BLACK
hand levers MATTE BLACK
trim ring MATTE BLACK
brake pedal MATTE BLACK
shifter MATTE BLACK
front forks w/cans MATTE BLACK

I am going to try and do this all myself. Think the forks will be the biggest challenge, but I'm up for it. I do have some questions though.

1) What gaskets will I need for all these? Primary gasket. Transmission cover gasket. Cam cover gasket.

2) What parts will I need for the front fork? Seals? Kits? Tools?

I have the HD manual for the bike, so I assume I can follow those directions.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Lightafatty
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cwilliams
So I'm digging these SMW wheels... http://www.southern-mc.com/brallewhset.html. Wondering how the machined aluminum (brushed) look would work on the Lo. Everyone seems to be going the black or black contrast cut route, so I haven't seen anything like this. I did a mock up in photoshop... thinking 21x3.5 in front and stock size in rear.
what do you think??

I like them better if they made them all black, but if you like them I say go for it. After all you will be the one looking at your Lo everyday.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Lightafatty
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Also think a 18 rear matches up better with a 21 front.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:05 PM
jjmitchem
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
I went Kuryakyn. They are adjustable, OL happy
Like the idea of adjustable. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:43 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cwilliams

just my penny.. those would look good if they were styled like the Lo wheel is stock.. black center with chrome/brushed aluminum/exposed outer ring.

Originally Posted by JRuss
Did you have the shift linkage, etc. PCd? Or are those HD parts?
The Primary cover i had powder coated, along with the clutch housing cover (as well as other pieces that were not asked about. The shifter arm/brake pedal, shift linkage I did with the rustoleum bed liner, then once I decided that I liked them (because they weren't sticking to the chrome as well as i had hoped) i had them powdercoated.

Powdercoating is the way to go.. save hundreds over ordering HD black parts..just FYI (if you can stand with the down-time of having the parts off from your bikes)

I am going to try and do this all myself. Think the forks will be the biggest challenge, but I'm up for it. I do have some questions though.
1) What gaskets will I need for all these? Primary gasket. Transmission cover gasket. Cam cover gasket.
anything you take off, you'll need a new gasket. Gaskets are cheap compared to having something leak and cause problems later. So yes.. Primary gasket, inspection cover gasket (that circle part on the primary with the 5 bolts), cam cover gasket, clutch housing cover gasket, etc.

Be careful when removing the clutch housing cover..your clutch cable goes in to it and hooks on to this weird do-dad that has steel ball bearings in it. don't lose the ball bearings. The service manual explains how to take it apart very nicely.

2) What parts will I need for the front fork? Seals? Kits? Tools?
directions.
Don't be afraid of the effing forks. Everyone thinks "OMG THE FORKS WILL BLOW UP IN MY FACE AND KNOCK MY TEETH ACROSS THE ROOM AND THEN A GERBIL WILL RUN UP TO MY BROKEN TOOK AND SCAMPER OFF WITH IT OMG OMG OMG".. No.

The forks are easy to disassemble. I actually have a tutorial in this thread somewhere (probably 100 pages back) on how to disassemble them. It's much easier if you have a friend or someone strong help you out though.

and here's the 5 step process i wrote up awhile back on how to do it:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ml#post9609293

The forks will not blow up and fly around the room like you think. The actual springs that are tensioned are inside another tube within the top part of the forks. If you're just removing the lowers, you won't have to open that part out.

Though if you want to play a joke on someone, you can open them up to where they're just a bit threaded then say "Hey buddy, do my a favor and pop that can loose".. and it will blow up and knock your friends teeth out.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Mugsy666
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any fatboy los with torque inserts in slipons?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Erick118
Novice

I don't ever post that much but here are a couple of pics after I put a set of apes and new rear turn signals on it.Name:  IMG_20130623_191445_585.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  54.9 KBName:  IMG_20130623_191335_300.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  109.3 KB

Old 08-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Candygram4Mongo
4th Gear
Default Here's mine...Clawdette

2012 Fat Boy Lo, S&S Stealth Breather & V&H Big Radius

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-img_0015_2.jpg  

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners