Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shortysmalls
Hey all. New to this forum so figured I'd post pics of the blacked out work i've been doing.
That's a good start. You can do the shift and brake levers pretty cheap with some rustoleum bed liner. It's a really good match for wrinkled black is only about eight bucks a can. Just scuff up the parts with a green scotch pad, spray it, and then bake it in the oven at about 200 for about 15 minutes between coats. Try and do it when your wife's not home if you have one.

I've got some good news to share. The Marine Corps approved my reenlistment package so I'll be signing up for another four tomorrow and ordering my new Boss Bags 42s. I'll have my old bags up for sale by the weekend if anybody's interested.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:12 PM
Shortysmalls
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
That's a good start. You can do the shift and brake levers pretty cheap with some rustoleum bed liner. It's a really good match for wrinkled black is only about eight bucks a can. Just scuff up the parts with a green scotch pad, spray it, and then bake it in the oven at about 200 for about 15 minutes between coats. Try and do it when your wife's not home if you have one.

I've got some good news to share. The Marine Corps approved my reenlistment package so I'll be signing up for another four tomorrow and ordering my new Boss Bags 42s. I'll have my old bags up for sale by the weekend if anybody's interested.
Awesome. Thanks for the tip.......

Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 AM
ALTWORD
6th Gear

GREAT THREAD - THANKS

Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master

Well I raised my right hand this afternoon and then immediately went to the office and got on the phone with the folks from boss bags. They said the 42 model doesn't fit on the wide tire softails so I ended up going with the 40's which are almost as big but come off cleanly without leaving a bracket on like the 42s would have. They should be here Monday so I'm pretty excited. Hopefully I don't get too excited and strip a bolt or two trying to get the old ones off. The tech guy I talked to from boss bags was really great to talk to and answered all my questions including why the 42s aren't made for the wider tire bikes. Apparently there's not enough demand since most people want to be able to take the bags off and have a clean look. Their customer service is pretty good so far at least.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:14 AM
t03cutt3r
Cruiser

Well I raised my right hand this afternoon and then immediately went to the office and got on the phone with the folks from boss bags. They said the 42 model doesn't fit on the wide tire softails so I ended up going with the 40's which are almost as big but come off cleanly without leaving a bracket on like the 42s would have. They should be here Monday so I'm pretty excited. Hopefully I don't get too excited and strip a bolt or two trying to get the old ones off. The tech guy I talked to from boss bags was really great to talk to and answered all my questions including why the 42s aren't made for the wider tire bikes. Apparently there's not enough demand since most people want to be able to take the bags off and have a clean look. Their customer service is pretty good so far at least.

We all expect to see the "grocery store run" when you get your new bags on.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Congrats Fatbob and thanks for your service.You have to post the pics when done. I was looking at those for mine and since we have the same exhaust, and vivid black paint it should look the same as it would on mine.

Just got the okay on the vacation time so we are off to the 110th. Going to hook up with the ride sponsored by American Iron since it starts here in Columbus. The route they are showing is mostly interstate and since I'm not jumping ship and going all Street Glide on you guys ( Bill, Griff....JK....LOL) I was considering adding a windshield. I have read the many discussions, and I'm aware of the other potential issues adding a shield brings on, I just think it will make all the interstate riding more comfortable, it will stay in the room once we get there. My choices are limited to the nostalgic windshields because of my auxiliary light bar set up. My question is in your guys experience which did you prefer 21" or 18"? I'm 6' with a 32" inseam.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 10-08-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Just got the okay on the vacation time so we are off to the 110th. Going to hook up with the ride sponsored by American Iron since it starts here in Columbus. The route they are showing is mostly interstate and since I'm not jumping ship and going all Street Glide on you guys ( Bill, Griff....JK....LOL) I was considering adding a windshield. I have read the many discussions, and I'm aware of the other potential issues adding a shield brings on, I just think it will make all the interstate riding more comfortable, it will stay in the room once we get there. My choices are limited to the nostalgic windshields because of my auxiliary light bar set up. My question is in your guys experience which did you prefer 21" or 18"? I'm 6' with a 32" inseam.
I'm 5'11" and had my 21" nostalgic windshield cut down to 17". Had I bought the 18" I doubt I would have cut it. Maybe Ill see you up in Milwaukee for the 110th if the wife and I decide to head down that way. It's only an hour ride for us.

Old 07-24-2013, 05:33 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 496 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I'm 5'11" and had my 21" nostalgic windshield cut down to 17". Had I bought the 18" I doubt I would have cut it. Maybe Ill see you up in Milwaukee for the 110th if the wife and I decide to head down that way. It's only an hour ride for us.
I was wondering about the mount. Did the kit have 2 different bolt sizes or spacers if your not using it with the light bar? There is one for sale in the classifieds, but I want to be sure I get the right stuff with it. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to get one of the parts guys at the dealerships around here to find the right mounting hardware. Pics of the mounts would be appreciated if you have the time.

The seller sent me some detailed pics of it on his Deluxe and he emailed the instruction sheet. Looks like it will work out fine. As always, I thank you for your help

It would be cool to see you in Milwaukee. I would like to see that bike in person. I could PM you my cell number if you decide to go.

Thanks man

Last edited by Fat11Lo; 07-24-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Update
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM
JSharp
Intermediate

I have the smoked 18" with black trim, I bought the one that works with aux lights in case I ever go that direction, part #57400111 it is detachable, the thing i like about the 18" is I look over the windshield, still get a wind in the face feel but the bugs/rocks hit my helmet. I had to add a couple of nylon washers since I didn't have the aux bar. I am 6'1" 33" inseam. Good picture in the harley parts wishbook.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I was wondering about the mount. Did the kit have 2 different bolt sizes or spacers if your not using it with the light bar? There is one for sale in the classifieds, but I want to be sure I get the right stuff with it. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to get one of the parts guys at the dealerships around here to find the right mounting hardware. Pics of the mounts would be appreciated if you have the time.

The seller sent me some detailed pics of it on his Deluxe and he emailed the instruction sheet. Looks like it will work out fine. As always, I thank you for your help

It would be cool to see you in Milwaukee. I would like to see that bike in person. I could PM you my cell number if you decide to go.

Thanks man
I am away from home for a few weeks and had theses pics
This is about the best I can do for now. As far as the mounts go mine is for the no light bar windshield. Hope the photos help. BTW the mounts are a stocked item at most dealers. I know this because I forgot to thread lock mine once and lost one side.

Yeah I am hoping to be able to make it home for the 110th. Things have been messed up with work schedules because of the shoulder surgery. I am back working in a light duty capacity.

Name:  DSCF1833_zps0a9bef2f.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  mount_zpsa7305efe.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  61.3 KB

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners