Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Iron Butt Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 11:59 AM
CSRflstc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm up for the challenge! My wife and I did 400 miles this past Sunday. I was good to go out again, but she was done after that.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM
meanderer
Cruiser

Yup. Done it. My M/C does one every summer. Last summer I puked my way home from Lexington, Ky through Atlanta and home an hour northeast of ATL. I don't recommend that!

I'll be doing it again this July.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Any rules??? Except 1000 miles in 24 hours?

Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruralmed
I am in, we should take a pic of our speedo at beginning and end with a local paper from that day in each shot. I rode 18hrs straight last summer, so I hope your skillet is ready, muwahahaha!
I like taking pictures so whether I go alone or with a couple of other forum members, I will have my camera with me. And I don't know what the skillet comment is in reference to...

Originally Posted by tk353
i have thought about it because it was there but you have to keep safety first. i would hate to hear that someone fell asleep or worse got killed for the only reason to prove something.
sorry if this offends anyone. just my thoughts.
I am also a safety-first kind of guy. I will not put myself or others in jeopardy just to reach a number. And no offence taken.

Originally Posted by meanderer
Last summer I puked my way home from Lexington, Ky through Atlanta and home an hour northeast of ATL. I don't recommend that!
Glad to see you have an open face helmet.

Originally Posted by Maimas
Any rules??? Except 1000 miles in 24 hours?
The Official Iron Butt ride has specific rules you have to follow. You can check them out at http://www.ironbutt.com

As for the Softail Iron Butt Challenge, make your own rules.
I just noticed the oxymoron - softail / iron butt...

Old 04-07-2010, 01:56 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fireman1501
I am with ya. I will have a wind shield on that trip. 70 to 80 mph with apes will kill us. LOL

Old 04-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Anyone from Long Island up for this... I just looked, To Roanoke VA and Back is 500 miles each way.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:09 PM
fallenspringer
Cruiser

going from dubuque iowa down to myrtle beach starting tomorrow, taking two days to get down there and i believe the plan is straight through on the way back. close to 1200 miles if we take the shortest way.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:12 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've read, it'll be fun, avoid the interstate - don't pick a boring route, etc. My 2 cents. There are only two reasons to do this- the bragging rights or to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. Mine was the later. Believe me, after 6, 8, or even 10 hours in the saddle, it's just not that fun, especially riding solo. Might be better in a group. Read a lot of 600 mile, 700 mile, 12 hr. etc. trips. Again believe me, another few hundred miles or hours is tough towards the end of your trip. I almost pulled over in Portland around 11:00, after 16 hours with less than 200 miles to go. If I wasn't so cheap (didn't want to pay for a hotel), I probably would have stopped. Good luck to all who follow through, and don't forget to follow the rules on the IronButt website if you want official recognition.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Ruralmed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your a$$ will feel like an iron skillet after 1k miles. Last summer's 18hr ride was a little painful. After about 12-14 hrs I became saddle sore but as I continued to ride I eventually lost feeling in my butt. I rode the last 3-4 hours with a numb butt & blood-shot eyes, but a big smile.
Safety is always an issue when on two wheels. I guess I just felt I still had some left in the tank so I just kept going. I wonder if we could all find a single destination to meet at..Grand Canyon? Vegas? Yellowstone?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:38 PM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I rode from MD to FL with my dad, brother, dads friend and one of my buddies. We rode 1100 in one day. It was brutal. Caught in rain a few times. We did between 75-90 the whole way down. We left from MD at 3am and got to Venice FL at 1030pm. The rain killed us but over all it was bad *** ridin with a group like that screamin down the highway. I will do it again but go down Rt 81 not Rt 95. Rt 95 was a death sentance!!!
The only thing soar was a right hand from rollin on that throttle. I will do it again though. It is something you can say you did. I did not do it for an award but for self pride.

Quick Reply: Softail Iron Butt Challenge