Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riser bolts

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010 | 04:46 PM
gzus
|
6th Gear
Default riser bolts

just had a bolt that was holding my risers to my triple tree snap off the other day. i have some 19" apes on my bike and have had them over a year... anyway, i replaced them with bolts from the local hardware store that were of a higher grade (went from 5 to 8) and got to thinking, if they are harder bolts, they possibly have less flex and may snap again easier. someone i spoke to the other day said that the same thing happened to him with grade 8 bolts and suggested getting the stock bolt, but he kind of seemed full of it. someone else recommended airline grade (or something like that... i forgot... too many brain cells drowned in beer) so i was wondering if anyone had some experience with this, because i kind of like having my bars attatched to my bike

Old 04-05-2010 | 06:00 PM
WFA
Tourer

Grade 8 bolts should be more than sufficient to hold risers/bars under normal circumstances. Were you doing something extra stessful to them?

Old 04-05-2010 | 06:21 PM
gzus
|
6th Gear

no, i was just cruising at about 70 or so on the freeway. i didnt even hit a pot hole or anything. just heard a snap and kept going. when i pulled into my driveway i noticed that my bars had a little extra give to them and thought my bushings were getting worn again (i switched to poyurethane a few months back). when i went to check them, i noticed that the bolt had just snapped off and luckily left enough to keep it in place while the other bolt pulled double duty and held everything down

Old 04-05-2010 | 06:26 PM
DR.Greenthumb
Road Master

This happened to me a few months ago too.I think my bolts had slowly come loose and the back and forth motion finally caused one to snap.It was a tough ride home,anything over about 10 MPH caused some severe shaking,luckily I wasn't too far away.You're lucky that you didn't have a disaster on your hands doing 70

Old 04-05-2010 | 10:02 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member

Bolts aren't supposed to flex. Stock is grade 5. Stronger is better. You did the right thing going to grade 8. Just make sure you don't over-torque them. The stock torque setting is intended to partially compress the rubber bushings. Since the poly bushings won't compress, you actually need a lower torque value.