Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dropped Bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:36 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

thats no good!

Old 04-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Man In Black
Nope ! Not everyone . Over forty years of riding and never dropped it. Everyone has close calls though after that many years of riding.
Hope you didn't shoot yourself in the foot with that statement. Had 43 yrs in the saddle and was hit last June and dropped mine for the first time....as stated, everyone will at some point.

Ride safe all!

Old 04-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Rocker_Dan
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
Hope you didn't shoot yourself in the foot with that statement. Had 43 yrs in the saddle and was hit last June and dropped mine for the first time....as stated, everyone will at some point.

Ride safe all!
Yup can happen to anyone

the vids look good....check out this kid...makes me look like a beginner...--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz2XWi2YzbY

Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by HDeuce
Your doing the best thing, Getting back on the bike and trying to better your weak points. If I am going really slow with a passenger I tend to just walk the bike with my feet down. I would rather look stupid than dump a bike. Remember, everyone is a beginner at one time. Riding a bike, especially a heavy harley takes practice. My wifes Dad got a new bike and said take your wife for a ride, and I said I wouldn't ride a bike that I have never rode before 2 up.

Be Safe
Well said, riding is more mental than anything else. one important thing is the ft brake is not your friend when making sharp turns.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When the wife and I are on the RK, if I am in a parking lot that is risky, I just have her hop off. Its not a lack of experience that I have her do it, just dont like taking chances. I was backing into a parking spot last year and put my foot down on a broken glass bottle, there goes the foot. I was somehow able to slowly let the RK down till it was resting on the guards, was able to pick it up by myself. The only thing that got really nicked was my pride.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:11 AM
sp9997
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

everybody said something but the truth of the matter is no matter how much you watch riding like a pro is not going to teach you how to ride... it is only going to affect you riding ability... you have to have full control of the bike yourself in all situations before trying to take on a passenger... for some that means riding alone for 1000 - 3000 miles whatever it takes... sometimes a strong gust of wind can bring you down if you are not experienced and have a passenger who is not used to riding ... your errors just multiply when you have equally inexperienced rider and passenger...

For safety reasons start riding on the back roads, move to more open roads and highways at different speeds... put more miles under your belt... start the routine again with a passenger with back roads, open roads and highways...Ride safe!!!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:50 AM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
Had 43 yrs in the saddle and was hit last June and dropped mine for the first time....as stated, everyone will at some point.
There are only two types of riders - those that have been down and those that are going to go down.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 AM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first bike was a 1200 Sportster and I found it to be top-heavy. I dropped it 3 times. The worst was when I was making a U-turn and I put on that dad-blasted front brake everyone's been mentioning. Kiss of death. Went down like someone yanked the bike out from under me. Since then I've had a Streetbob and just got a Heritage and haven't (knock on wood) dropped a bike since the Sportster. I know I could stand to look at the Ride Like A Pro video again. By the way, I never ride with a passenger. My wife won't and I don't feel comfortable yet and I have about 8,000 miles under my belt.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup same thing happened to me a few years ago. Wife moved or something and the bike slowly went down. Picked it up by myself. OH YEAH it was in front of Myrtle Beach HD during bike week.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:34 PM
DocJ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by New Harley Rider
I have no idea how this happened...but if felt like someone just pushed the bike over.
I promise, it was not me...

lol. Anyway, if you take some of the advice already given in this thread, you should be riding like a pro in no time. It is good that you are already practicing slow maneuvers. That should give you a better basis to start with the next time this may happen. Learning the feel of the bike as a basis will help you better compensate for passenger mistakes. Not saying that it was the wife...just a possibility. Anyway, watch the videos, and keep practicing. Many people just hit the road and never practice where they should. That is typically what lands people into trouble. Get out of practice, and you lose your abilities. I will admit, it is a lot more fun to just hit the open road, but when situations come up (such as you mentioned) it is a reminder that we all need to keep up the practice on those maneuvers.

Quick Reply: Dropped Bike