Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Baggers Only...Pics please

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that. I've already ditched the stock deluxe riser for some 1 1/2,'' high fatboy risers which have no pullback. The carlini bars I was thinking about are 1 1/4 and I assumed that they stepped down to 1". Will these not work?

Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hey ... how about a set of 'dogbone' offset risers ... I am using a fairing (different mfr) and it has been working well for me ... I had to have them cut down about 1/2" by a machine shop ...

... or you could just get a shorter set ...

... I like the nostalgic look of the dogbones ...

Old 10-23-2012, 01:25 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

... or these ...

Old 10-23-2012, 08:46 AM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dead Center Cycles
Hey Justahawg,

I wasn't sure who you were asking, but figured I could shed some light on fairing fitment. With most fairings, the Heritage is a great platform and should need very little to no modification. (Ours falls in to the latter classification as it uses your stock quick detach mounts. It latches automatically and can be removed with the push of a button)

Stock Heritage bars are great, fitment wise, because they pull back immediately, getting them out of the way of speakers and stereo equipment.

Passing lamps can be an issue depending on the fairing manufacturer and if you have replaced the stock lamps with aftermarket bullet style lamps. Many fairing manufacturers instruct you to remove your passing lamps or move them forward, fit the fairing and then readjust. Our fairing slides straight down, so this is RARELY the case. However, some, aftermarket, bullet style passing lamps can reach too far back for a fairing to fit easily. So, if you are considering a set of lamps of this style, you may want to call the fairing manufacturer that you are considering and let them know what you plan to use to see if they may pose a problem. We rarely see lamps that are too long, but it has happened.

Hope that helps!
Thank you, I really appreciate the detailed info. I've checked out your site and I'm thinking that 2 tone white gold/pewter or just white gold would look awesome.

Thanks again!

Old 10-24-2012, 06:45 PM
Dead Center Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Thanks for that. I've already ditched the stock deluxe riser for some 1 1/2,'' high fatboy risers which have no pullback. The carlini bars I was thinking about are 1 1/4 and I assumed that they stepped down to 1". Will these not work?
1 1/2 will work with most bars, but I doubt you will be happy with where your apes end up. I could be wrong, but you won't have the rotation room that you would have with a pull back riser. Again, the bow in the bars will help. I looked at some online, and it looks as though the do not step down. I'm not sure what that means for you as far as the riser goes.

Also, someone else posted a picture of the electraglide bars that come back toward the rider before heading straight up. Seems like a great solution, but, because they are much wider than bars designed for the FL Softails, the excess bar sticking out further than the width of your forks poses a problem. Because that excess sticks out above the mounting locations they will interfere with the bracket sliding into position meaning you would have to shave material off of the bracket to get in place. That style of bar would work great, as long as it is not wider than your forks.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Dead Center Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JustaHawg
Thank you, I really appreciate the detailed info. I've checked out your site and I'm thinking that 2 tone white gold/pewter or just white gold would look awesome.

Thanks again!
Hey! Thanks for checking out the site. We just did that two tone color for a customer about a month ago.

My two cents on two tone vs solid. If you're looking for more of a Street Glide look, then go with a solid white outer. If you lean more toward the Ultra spectrum then I'd go with the two tone.

Also, if you go with painting the inside white, I would break it up a bit with black speakers. (I've included a picture to illustrate this) Only because the black helps to break up that bright color more so than would the standard silver option.

Thanks again!

Attached Thumbnails Softail Baggers Only...Pics please-ccebike3.jpg   Softail Baggers Only...Pics please-ccebike2.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 PM
Dead Center Cycles
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop
Hey ... how about a set of 'dogbone' offset risers ... I am using a fairing (different mfr) and it has been working well for me ... I had to have them cut down about 1/2" by a machine shop ...
... I like the nostalgic look of the dogbones ...
Those are pretty cool. Never seen them before. That pull back should work well. Are those rubber grommets in there? Is that design supposed to help with vibration?

Old 10-24-2012, 07:27 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Also, someone else posted a picture of the electraglide bars that come back toward the rider before heading straight up. Seems like a great solution, but, because they are much wider than bars designed for the FL Softails, the excess bar sticking out further than the width of your forks poses a problem. Because that excess sticks out above the mounting locations they will interfere with the bracket sliding into position meaning you would have to shave material off of the bracket to get in place. That style of bar would work great, as long as it is not wider than your forks.[/quote]

Pretty sure you were talking about mine. The apes are a little wider than the forks but not by much. I have seen many softails with the same width apes on them. I also have no issues taking my fairing on and off. I didnt have to mod the mounting bracket at all. The issue I had was getting apes wide enough to clear were the stereo goes. Here is a link to previous discussion on this topic. I will say Chucky from LA Choppers was great to work with when I was trying to decide if I should go with the bagger apes. I was considering Gangster apes because I believe they fix the issue as well just to expensive for me to try out then find out they would not work. If anyone has questions feel free to PM me.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...with-apes.html

Last edited by 06 flstfise; 10-24-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Madmax59
3rd Gear
Default Softail with a hack...

Here's a unique idea, '97 Softail with a hack. S&S Big Dog 114ci

Attached Thumbnails Softail Baggers Only...Pics please-003.jpg   Softail Baggers Only...Pics please-043.jpg  
Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM
eagle bud
Advanced

bfleischer beautifull bike what color is that and paint code please i want to use that color as a two tone color with black thanks bud

Last edited by eagle bud; 10-24-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: flrgot posters name

Quick Reply: Softail Baggers Only...Pics please