Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe - Layback Plate Frame

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:23 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Deluxe - Layback Plate Frame

Just got my Kuryakyn curved layback plate frame. Wondering if there are any tips anyone has to install this? The instructions say you have to take a cover off under the fender, seems like a tight fit. I could feel one bolt at the bottom, is that all there is? The service manual picture wasn't great (assuming I found the only one).

Anyone not use that Z-bracket putting it back on? Seems like overkill to have to support it at the top (same with the current setup, IMHO)...

Thanks!

Old 03-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Drummerboy301
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Layback plates

I just relocated the plate on my '06 Deluxe. Problem is that I had already lowered the back end making it impossible to get to the stuff on the inside of the fender. I ended up removing the entire fender since it is just 5 bolts on each fender rail and then you are able to get to the backing plate for the tombstone assembly. It is one nut on the bottom and a clip at the top. Once you have that off and you have taken the lense and housing off by undoing the three allen screws on the lens, there are two blots that hold on the bracket that you will need to remove. Tape over these so water does not get into the housing. After removing the back bracket, you can undo the three nuts holding the plastic light assembly from the fender and then you can put in your new plate bracket. It is a whole lot more complicated than I had originally thought... Hope this helps!

Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, it's a real PITA. I changed my plate out and even though my bike's not lowered, I ended up taking off my fender in order to get at the fasteners.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

or just take off the wheel..........6 of 1...........

Old 03-31-2010, 07:24 PM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it different than a fatboy? I jacked up my frame to get enough room to stick my hand far enough to get to the nuts. It was tight as heck and had to have my son help me, but got it done.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:33 PM
jakejohn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine last month and took some pics I will try to find the link.If not look under laydown plate bracket posts.

Last edited by jakejohn; 03-31-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: linkhttp://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/481097-deluxe-laid-down-plate-bracket.html
Old 03-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Bugsplat
Road Captain

Jack the bike up and use some swivel joint adapter on your socket and some swivel wrenches. It's a tight fit but with some patience and about 100 cuss words you will get the bolts off/on.

Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 PM
gregski
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just put this bracket on my wife's Deluxe about 2 weeks ago. Yes it is tight in there, The top of the plastic cover is just held on with a clip. Fairly easy to get off, but a PITA to get back on. I jacked up the bike a little to gain an extra 1/4" of space. As far as the z bracket, you won't have anything to mount the plate to if you do not use it.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Cozmic
Cruiser

My girl's deluxe is lowered also. She wanted the HD layback. Jacked it up for a little more space. One nut to get the plastic protective cover off. Then a few plate bracket nuts/bolts (fingertip time). I didn't think it was too bad. Used the smallest tools I had. Took about half an hour. Tip- don't leave out the new support bracket (for vibration reasons).

Others may attest: Much easier than taking that old air cleaner bracket off under the gas tank when installing the stage 1 air cleaner kit, LOL! (I refused to remove the tank).

Old 04-01-2010, 07:32 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Just did the install myself. Took about 45 minutes. Used my 1/4" driver ( have a very nice small swivel head Snap-On 1/4" driver) to get the bolt off the back. Small hands helps, getting the plastic off wasn't too bad. Stubby screwdriver to keep the screws from spinning when taking off the stock bracket. The rest was simple. Putting the plastic cover was the hardest part. And yes, I put the bike up on a lift too.

Thanks guys. Knew what to expect, made it a fairly straightforward job!

Quick Reply: Deluxe - Layback Plate Frame