Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Parts Discounts Going Away

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Sagexpman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Parts Discounts Going Away

Dealers in my area frequently running promos that provide discounts on parts like a 20/20 sale on parts and labor or Black Friday discounts. I was told this week that at the end of the year the MOCO is putting a stop to ALL parts and accessories discounts in a effort to "level" the playing field for dealers. Those dealers that fail to comply run the risk of losing their dealership. Have any of you heard this from your dealers? I think it blows but no one asked me

Last edited by Sagexpman; 03-30-2010 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:32 AM
Hotwire
Tourer

yeah hat blows big time... if they do that.. they run the risk of dealers selling aftermarket parts for less then the MOCO parts... and selling less of the MOCO parts. thus loosing H-D revenue... They wont like that at all.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 AM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What? Now they want me to pay full price for all the chinese made **** accesories they sold me? Nearly everything out of the P&A book I bought from HD was made in China. I am getting to the point where I wont buy another "harley" I will buy from a US V-twin manufacturer, who uses American labor.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:00 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

MoCo is very big on "Brand Marketing", in fact Harley-Davidson is the Poster Child and is probably the most successful company at this. Dealers who sell at less than the suggested List Price are generally considered to be "Diluting the Brand". When a Franchise trys to enforce list prices it is called "vertical resale price maintenance," or "RPM". Basically this practice is illegal per se because it is assumed to hurt competition in the marketplace. The only thing that has changed recently is that in 2007 the Supreme Court ruled that the company could present evidence that this practice could in some cases increase competition and increase the benefit to consumers . . . but the odds of such an argument being successful are slim and none and slim's walkin' out the door. Discussions about this between the company and the dealer are usually about as productive as playing a game of Trivial Pursuit for 6-Packs of your favorite adult beverage after work. In the end, if a dealer is selling a lot of stuff the company may "say" one thing, but actually "do" very little. BTW, no dealer will loose their franchise over something like this . . . This isn't to say that it makes for the best of friends between dealers . . . and sometimes that can be important.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:07 AM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My local dealer told me the same thing. They can run discounts. They just can't advertise in advance.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:00 AM
centennialfatboy
Cruiser
Default Surdyke.com

Used to list prices at 20% off and saved me a lot, but I got an email the other day stating they are dropping the across the board discount and are now going to a "email for quote" system. My guess is they will be the same prices as my local shop who won't discount anything. Unless you're a HOG member and I don't know if this discount is affected or not.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser

One word. Zanotti's. Great service and prices.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 AM
nibroc
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mr Wasabi
I agree

Old 03-30-2010, 12:55 PM
Sagexpman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr Wasabi

Never heard of Zanotti's, will google them and check them out. Thanks for the tip...

Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Mr Wasabi
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sagexpman
Never heard of Zanotti's, will google them and check them out. Thanks for the tip...
Yep, Zanotti's HD:
https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

Great people to work with and prices usually around 20% off all the time. No tax also if you're not in PA. Very easy to spend a shitload of money there. Trust me, I know.

Quick Reply: HD Parts Discounts Going Away