Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lepera "barebones" vs Danny Grey "buttcrack"

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:50 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lepera "barebones" vs Danny Grey "buttcrack"

Im in the market for a new solo seat...So whats the difference in quality/comfort between the DannyGrey "buttcrack" vs. LePera "barebones"? ... Also does biker gel really make a difference in comfort? Thanx fellas.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:13 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had several LePera seats on different bikes through the years and when it comes to the LePera their fit and finish is "****"! In other words there is not much better and I have yet to find one I did not like. For start the seat pans are metal not fiberglass or plastic. The are all finished underneath with plush carpet stuff that keeps any paint that it touches nice.

As far as the gel. LePera foam is so firm that I do not know if it would make a difference. I had a buddy in Texas that had it and it seemed like his seat was always hotter then mine. Do not know if the gel retained the heat.

LePera Customer service is the nines as well. If you are unsure about the leather or covering you want they will send you samples so you can see them for yourself. They are a family owned biz and will take care of you like you are part of it.

I can not speak for danny grey, I have heard some good things about them.

Hope that helps. I just can speak highly enough about LePera and I really do not know anything about Danny Grey. I am sure someone will jump in about them.

If you do go with a bare bones look at some of their hot rod series, that is some cool chit mang. That's what I would get if I could go to solo but my kids ride with me too much. I am going to go with them for another two up but with a pillion instead.

Last edited by BigSeaDaddy; 03-25-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:30 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never owned or ridden a LePera seat. However, I do own a Butt Crack Solo, and really like it. It definitely sits you down "into" the bike. No gel, and it's good for 200 or less miles/ day.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a barebones and I swtich back and forth between the Badlander and the LePera. I can only ride in the barebones for about an hour and then need to get off for a while. Not much for comfort but Damn it looks very cool and very good quality, hope that helps

Old 03-25-2010, 07:51 PM
dugan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would look into a C&C Solo seat. I had the BareBones w/gel....but not for long, haven't tried the Danny Gray but from what I've seen I doubt it's much more comfy than the BB. Seriously, consider the C&C. I have it and unless something better comes along, I plan on staying with it. It fits the lines of the bike as well as sits the rider down in the bike

Old 03-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took my BareBones off about 6 months ago and installed a Danny Gray Speed Cradle. For me the looks of the LaPera can't be beat but its best for bar hopping, not long distance. On the other, hand I've done 500 mile days on the Danny Gray without any discomfort. If you ride distance, better look hard at that DG. Its alot more seat.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:59 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive hear mixed reviews about the danny gray, i have a La pera and it s great, also have a CC and for the quality and the money, its tough to beat, and they are super easy and accomodating.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the bare bones...IMHO it is the best looking no nonsense seat out there.

It is a little hard on the butt...especially on long hauls, I suppose it's the price you pay to get that look.

Can't speak for the DG, but I've read a lot of posts on this forum praising the butt crack seat.

They both are nice, quality seats...but if you want the meanest, lowest, bare to the bones seat...you can't get better then the bare bones.

As far as the gel goes, from what I've heard, most seem to say it isn't worth the extra money for the gel. Again, that's just what I've heard, not speaking from my own experience.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 PM
Betros
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had a lepera bare bones solo on my Dyna and loved it. Really hard at first, but after a while either I broke it in or it broke me. Rode it from San Diego to Houston and didnt have a single complaint. Put one on the Deluxe because the look is better than anyone else but now the wife rides and wont do a pillion, so had to take it off, but still throw it on every chance I get.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 AM
Bugsplat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Danny Gray Butt Crack and really like it. It does pull you into the seat more and sets you back further than the stock seat. I thought it felt firm at first but once it starts breaking in it really feels comfortable. The longest ride has only been 75 miles but it was super comfy the entire ride. I really like the way it tightly fits the curves of the bike in the seat region and lips over the gas tank.

Quick Reply: Lepera "barebones" vs Danny Grey "buttcrack"