Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 88" TC with S&S carb and V&H pipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Painkiller ll
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock 88" TC with S&S carb and V&H pipes

Hi there...

I am pretty new to this Harley stuff....Still have had my Softail Std ´06 for almost 2 years now. I wonder if anyone can tell me what I gain from the changes that have been made to the motor. There is an S&S Super E carb with S&S teardrop air intake and Vance & Hines Stepped Drag pipes.

What I would like to know is:

How much HP/Torque does it have with stock carb and pipes?

How much HP/Torque might I have gained with S&S Super E and V&H Stepped Drag Pipes?

I know that it is not easy to get accurate numbers without having it on the Dyno but would be nice to know approximately what it gives.

I live in Iceland so Dyno testing is not on every corner so to speak....And the one who has a dyno for bikes is not up running at the moment...hopefully this summer though.

Feel free to tell me if you have a clue...

Sincerely
Siggi Frikk

P.S. The bike had these goodies installed when I bought it ;-)

Old 03-26-2010, 12:14 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

That carb probably won't add to anymore horsepower on a stock motor than a free flow air cleaner on the C.V. The stepped drags would probably show a few horsepower increase at high r.p.m.s. The problem is they won't do much for you at lower and mid range where you normally ride. You will probably gaining 10 h.p. over bone stock if you had it on a dyno..

Old 03-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Painkiller ll
Novice

Northside...

Thank you for that info...Well...any increase from stock is positive... ;-)

Old 03-26-2010, 08:46 AM
wiseguy2day
Road Master

An '06 with a carb, that's a very hard find. 2 into 1 is your best bet for hp/tq. the s&s helped some.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Painkiller ll
Novice

Well...at least it sounds awesome..and I love the ride, best bike I´ve tried so far ;-)
This weekend I am going to get it ready for this season, new oils and filter, putting on 2" forward control extensions and paint the rear fender....Then I´m ready for this season ;-)

Old 03-26-2010, 02:58 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Carb won't add HP? I think your're wrong... When I slapped a Mikuni on my ride it's a whole different bike from bottom to top...
Jus my .02

Old 03-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by story808
Carb won't add HP? I think your're wrong... When I slapped a Mikuni on my ride it's a whole different bike from bottom to top...
Jus my .02

Looking at your chart it looks like a stock bike with an air cleaner and pipes added vs. stock air cleaner and stock pipes. I also notice your Mikuni lines go to higher rpms. Did you maybe add an upgraded ignition system to up the rev limit when you added the carb? Are you saying the only change to the bike was that carb? The "stock numbers" are terrible if your bike already had an upgraded air cleaner and exhaust. I was talking about an S&S vs. a stock CV, not a Mikuni, and the carb being the only change. The Mikuni is the best carb available for high performance Harleys in my opinion, I run a 45m.m. on one of my bikes. Still I hold with my statement. Simply adding an S&S carb won't add much power on a stock bike. The C.V. on a stock motor, when tuned right, is hard to beat.

Last edited by Northside; 03-26-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:32 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

Your right man I have no idea about S&S carb and don't wanna start anything all I was saying that adding a carb, one thats working better then the stock CV has to give you some extra horses. With the stock CV I didn't hit the rev limiter once... but with the Mikuni I could bang off the rev limiter if I wanted to... Night and day difference... and that CV will never go back on my bike.

The chart is just an example of what a carb could do for you.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:18 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

my bike was stock and i put on an S&S carb and some V&H 2into 1s ,i didnt notice any power gains!!
bike in shop at the moment! going to 95" 1550, and tw37 andrews cams, now that should wake it up!

Old 03-27-2010, 11:32 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

Wow that sucks then... So I'm wrong, sorry North... and you guys should have bought a Mikuni.

Quick Reply: Stock 88" TC with S&S carb and V&H pipes