Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 fat boy- opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 09:24 PM
vertical700
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 fat boy- opinions

Looking at a 2000 Fat Boy with 6300 miles. Your thoughts on any issues or problems known with this model bike?

Old 03-24-2010, 10:30 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

2000 to 2006 are basically the same. Great years for Softies in my opinion. But I may be biased having 2 of them. LOL

Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 PM
tslonige
Road Captain

I did forget if it is EFI then the 02 and newer are better because they went to Delphi.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:24 PM
sprinter
Advanced
Default Cam Bearings??????????

If I remember correctly, the model year 2000 was the first year of counter-balancing of the B engine.
I bought a new Wide Glide then and my son bought a new Fatboy.

We both received letters from H-D regarding the cam bearing failures. That was a very bad failure!
I received a letter stating that my bike would have an automatic extended warranty for 50K on the cam bearings. (Apparently it only happened on B motors)

My son received a letter stating that his bike was built at the end of the year, after the new "style" bearings were installed and he was not to worry, and that his bike would not have the failures of the earlier built softails.

Apparently the rubber mount twin cams had roller bearings for the cams, and when the moco added the Balancers onto the cam train for the softies, the bearings would cause a catastrophic failure due to the excess weight being slung around to balance the motor, and the bearings would not hold up.

Since my bike was not balanced, I had no problem, and his bike was built after they went to the stronger needle bearings.

I would want to know the build date of the bike, and check it out. It might be perfect or maybe a lurking timebomb.
JMO
HTH's
Ron.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

If it's a carbureted bike it's a great find with only 6300 miles. The lower end in that engine is better than the new ones. Harley used Timken tapered bearings on the sprocket shaft which is the drive side of that engine. If it's fuel injected it's the same motor, but that M.M. injection was replaced a year later. The only weakness in that motor is the spring loaded cam chain tensioners. They can cause serious engine problems when they fail. They are usually good for at least 20,000 miles but after that I'd replace them with either a gear drive or then newer hydraulic cam chain tensioner set up.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:31 AM
Spinner18
Cruiser

The bike being looked at is EFI. What makes the newer EFI's better? Would someone have any problems with it being a 2000 EFI? How much does it cost to replace with a hydraulic cam chain tensioner or gear drive? why not just replace the spring? I will get a build date, what kind of date would be the better motor?

I am the one looking at the bike... It's $8800... Just wondering how much would need to be put into it for it to be reliable if need be. The owner is the original owner, so I could ask about a letter from HD also about the cam...

Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a carbed 2000. I bought it with 8600 miles for 10.5K back in 08. At ~15K the cam bearings went, so this is a real issue. I had them replaced, then six months later went with the 95 build. I've had no issuses since. I love the bike and have no burning desire to replace it anytime soon. Maybe a SG down the road, but the FB is a great bike.

Shakey

Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is a 2000 also...I have had absolutely no problems at all. I would love to run across a nice one to play with!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:37 AM
tomcat1
Intermediate

I too just bought a 2000 FLSTC last October with 6900 miles. Would you say that the single biggest issue is this cam tensioner issue and bearings?

I wouldn't let this issue keep you from getting the FB. Even if you have the bearings replaced, and go with the new SE hyd. cam tensioner kit,,,,your still paying below blue book retail and will have a nice bike. I've seen prices from 1k to $1,500 if the stealer does it.

I've only put 5 miles on mine last year, haven't had it out yet this year, but will be looking at the cam tensioner pads just for peace of mind and start my own maint. history on the bike.

edit: here's some things I've found Link: http://rmhfaq.com/TC88camissues.htm

Last edited by tomcat1; 03-25-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:15 AM
hhiii
Advanced
Default mine is a 00 and bought it new

in oct of 99... Also had my cam bearings fail dealer replaced them did big borre kit at the same time and have ben riding it like a scaulded dog ever ( drag racing at every light since runs best right a hair below the rev limiter) have about 25K on the clock and still running strong as of last night.. Sounds like you have a good deal there. like othes have said if and when the cams go on it look at it as a great time to go with gear driven cams. i want to do that as well myself!!! Oh and you mentioned reliable.. it should be reliable as is

goood luck with it and keep us posted! also send pic!

Attached Thumbnails 2000 fat boy- opinions-side.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2000 fat boy- opinions