Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'99 Night Train...good? bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 11:31 PM
brut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Night Train...good? bad?

Looking at a '99 Night Train. Upgrading from a Sporty. I don't know much about the Softails nor the NT. Is there any good or bad about the '99's?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was the only year the Night Train had an EVO motor. It won't ride like your "typical" Softail, but it's still a great bike!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:11 AM
brut
Advanced

thanks for the input! I have heard about that motor but not much. What makes it different than the newer ones? good or bad?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:23 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

i really like the trains,but you should try and get an 00, with twin cam 88,i think they a great motor,however there will be guys that will flame that comment,some guys rave about the late model evo's either way you will be gettin a nice bike,there are some hot trains on this forum!

Old 03-23-2010, 12:28 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a thing wrong with a good runnin' Evo. Sure. They aren' as quick when stock but they can always be upgraded.

I wouldn't have any problem picking up one of the last Evo Softail's. All the bugs had been worked out by then.

How many miles on the motor? What's the overall condition? Does it need lots of TLC or just a bit? Does it leak or burn oil? Paint condition? Any motor work been done to it? If so who did it?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:34 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by brut
thanks for the input! I have heard about that motor but not much. What makes it different than the newer ones? good or bad?
Simply put the Twin Cams have two chain driven cams and the Evo has one gear driven cam. Many would argue this by itself makes the Evo a better all around motor. I'd be hard pressed to disagree even though I have two TC's.

Other than that, cubic inches, internal oil pump, EFI, and about 300 other little items depending on the year.

As time goes on HD has been trying to make the bikes more owner friendly with farther apart service intervals and more electronic gizmo's everywhere.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:52 AM
brut
Advanced

13K on bike...one owner Adult owned, well maintained.....obviously just not rode very much. Lowered, some mods...good price. I just don't want to get a bike that has chronic problems from the factory nor one I can not get many parts for.

How do the EVO's sound compared to the TC's?

Old 03-23-2010, 06:49 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

Evo's sound better than the TC's in my humble opinion. More Harley-like if you know what I mean.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Evo's are great motors, lots of information out there to go from mild to wild depending on your budget. Lots of carb, and cam options. The aftermarket is a little light now on exhausts (due to age ) but anything that will fit a twin cam softail will mount to an Evo motor as they have the same port demensions, you may just have to fabricate a mounting bracket or two.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:38 AM
stixman_576
Cruiser

I'd say it depends on how long you plan on owning this bike. Considering they don't use the EVO's any more, and they stopped making the night train last year. This could be a real nice collectors item. 10 years from now It could be worth alot more.
If you like the bike, I'd say go for it.

Last edited by stixman_576; 03-23-2010 at 08:41 AM.

Quick Reply: '99 Night Train...good? bad?