Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the marriage doctor in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:30 AM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

An inexpensive used bike is a good direction to go. Having her by your side enjoying the same thrill is very cool. I'd find a motorcycle class that has the use of their bikes for her to learn on. Get that cheap bike for her to learn on then move up to what she really wants in a few years. the first bike most likely will be dropped, scratched and dinged. It'll break her heart if that's a HD.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:31 AM
jimsflh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get her the bike, and let her ride it, and you ride yours! OR switch up, and take that one for 2 up, and ride yoru fatboy for solo rides. OR Get an Ultra (take her on the test drive)

Old 03-22-2010, 10:34 AM
felixsum
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask her to go on a ride so she can let you know specifically what it is she doesn't like about your scoot. Being back in the saddle will likely change her opinion and bring her back to riding.

When my wife complains about me riding, I know it's time for us to ride together. The whole experience reminds her why I like riding and I don't hear anything negative for about six months.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Fuzzman
Road Captain

Get rid of her! Just kidding, I agree on the fatboy not being the best 2-up. You also need to be happy with the ride, so look at some touring bikes you can agree on.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHX08
An inexpensive used bike is a good direction to go. Having her by your side enjoying the same thrill is very cool. I'd find a motorcycle class that has the use of their bikes for her to learn on. Get that cheap bike for her to learn on then move up to what she really wants in a few years. the first bike most likely will be dropped, scratched and dinged. It'll break her heart if that's a HD.
+1 Go look at the Honda.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:58 AM
FrozenInTime
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

My situation was close to yours. Wife was very upset that I got another bike after years of being off of it, raising kids, etc. When I brought it home, she was not happy. One day I handed her a helmet and said git-on. Well, that did it. She got on, and got over it. Now... I cann't leave without her. She's wanting to go through a class to learn to ride so she can now get her own. I'm thinking of a Honda 750-1000 to break her in on, as it will get dropped, dinged up, etc. Like previously suggested, get her trained and get her on a bike that floats her boat, so to speak. I'll bet she would be asking to ride the Harley pretty soon afterward.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like it's time for a second ride. And a solo seat for the Harley.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
olcrazy1
Intermediate

I'm not married so I can't speak with any experience, but my input would be to get the Honda to keep the wife happy and keep the Harley so the girlfriend doesnt get pissed.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Lock her in the basement. Those damn honda riders sure are a bunch.. Not that I know from owning one prior or anything!

Old 03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

Rent a Honda Sport Touring and see if she really wants to ride. Then rent a touring HD and see which she likes better. Guaranteed she will like the HD. Don't go buying a ST13 with the hope that she "may" like it. Damn, a Fatboy or an ST, both not very friendly passenger bikes......

Last edited by Scout; 03-22-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Is the marriage doctor in?