Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N intake or replacement filter for my Night Train?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:58 AM
J-Train
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N intake or replacement filter for my Night Train?

Was just cruising around on K&N website and saw that I basically have two options when it comes to putting on a K&N filter for my 04 night train. One I could get the K&N cone/full intake with chrome/black intake. Or two I could just buy the filter that already fits into my stock air intake. My question is for those who have experience with the two. Which one would be better for performance, etc...? Is there any real difference in horsepower or torque? Does the intake sit out close to your leg? Would something like a power commander be needed if I install the K&N, already have V&H 2in2's big radius? I appreciate any feedback you have.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 PM
cb(x)
Novice

Boy, I hope someone comes in with answers for you... i have the exact same questions...

Old 03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

No retune is nessasery if your just doing an intake because you still have the same exoust. No more air will flow out the pipe than before. As for performance you still need to replace the exoust to get more flow plus a re-jet/re-map to increase the fuel to match the increased flow. Its the bottle neck issue. it doesent matter how big one end is if the other is the same. As for more horse power from a k&n I would get the backplate kit and a perty little cover so that the air filter is exposed to that fresh flow of 60+ mph air. Thats just what I think others might have more to say. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 PM
night09train
Cruiser

Did you have the bike tuned when you put the exhaust on? If not your gonna need to have it done when you install the intake. I went with the screamin eagle elbow and filter from Hd. I also put exhaust and had the stage 1 re-map done at my local dealer.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM
TheDarkNightTrain
Novice

1. I would recommend buying a whole air cleaner assembly like the Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather or the Arlen Ness Big Sucker, both have K&N style filters and are designed specifically for your bike (and have been tried and tested by many forum members.)

2. Anytime you change the exhaust and/or intake from stock on any motor, you should make adjustments to the fuel delivery to match the increased amount of air flow that is now being delivered as a result of the new parts. If your bike is fuel injected this would be done by a new fuel management system such as a power commander, or "remap" by the dealer ortherwise if the bike is carburated than a bigger main jet would deliver more fuel to the motor.

The key word there is should. Without adjustments to the fuel delivery your bike will run...but most likely run very lean because of the increase in air flow without an increase in fuel. Not good to run the motor lean too long.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:19 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I respectfully disagree with soft 02. If you already have an aftermarket exhasut and are adding new intake which is going to provide more air flow that will lean out your mixture even more causing the bike to run extremely hot. The purpose of a power commander is to adjust the amount of fuel in order to obtain a proper mixture of fuel and air to make the bike run right. As bikes are from the factory they already run lean. If you add more air and an exhasut with no tuner you are increasing how lean your bike will run. It will run extremely hot and lean. An open filter will provide more air filter as it is well...open. I recommend the zippers 3" maxflo air filter to most of my customers over the big sucker. I hope this has answered your question. Drew

Old 03-23-2010, 01:02 AM
Cav Cop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the K&N 63-1125 in the mail today.

I looked at the K&N RK-3910, SE Heavy Breather, SE new open oval that came out, a Zippers, and a few others for my 2007 Night Train.

IMHO the K&N 63-1125 looks like it might flow well. I think the SE HB being round, will block air at speed (make the air go over the sides, where the more oval K&N will take in more air. Who knows. But I went with the K&N after looking at some flow numbers and my needs (I dont need the 300+ CMF some flow as I plan to just do pipes and maybe a cam... till I need a new engine).

This is what I looked at;

Harley flow numbers air cleaner.
HD stock - 171CFM
Stage 1 Big Sucker - 200CFM
Stage 2 Big Sucker - 250CFM
Kuryakyn Twin Velocity - 270CFM
E-3014 = 248 CFM RK-3009 kit
E-3037 = 301 CFM RK-3910 kit
HD-0800 = 231 CFM SE replacement
Doherty Powerpacc - 287CFM
SE Air Cleaner - 287 CFM
Zippers - 321 CFM
Woods Carbs - 4 models 235CFM upto 340CFM
BC Overflow - 800+CFM

Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM
J-Train
Cruiser

I currently have V&H big radus 2in2's. After putting them on I did not remap my bike knowing that at some point in the future that I would be putting on an air intake system, and I figured I would then remap my bike with a power commander. I'm currently torn between SE heavy breather, and K&N, just trying to figure out why K&N is 100$ more then a SE heavy breather.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

What K&N are you looking at? put a link. The heavy breather is about $300 if I remember correctly and should be more than the K&N. A Zippers setup will run you about $130 with the K&N filter. A Ness Big sucker is a few dollars less.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:19 PM
Hotwire
Tourer

In my opinion the K&N's are Way over priced. When you can get the SE Heavy Breather for $100 less... Id go with the MOCO's... Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: K&N intake or replacement filter for my Night Train?