Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night train vs. Night rod???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:39 PM
STING
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night train vs. Night rod???????

what would be more appealing? Have anybody on here had experiance with both and can give me good advice to which one i would enjoy more.I like the denim look and a large rear tire look.Most of my riding is just around town , i want something a little diff. from the ordinary.Thanks in advance..STING

Old 03-21-2010, 01:20 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Your talking about apples and oranges here. The v-rod is the crotch rocket of the HD brand. The Night Train is the cruiser model for HD. If you want wicked fast acceleration and the bent over riding style than go with the v-rod, if you want a laid back bike with the sound and style of the past with updated motor and electronics get the Night Train.

I own a Night Train, it has a few mods that have increased the power and sound considerably from stock it will scoot right down the road and be comfortable doing it. I like the many options for the softail line for wheels, bars, grips, etc... Good luck on your choice. The v-rod is a great bike that hauls A$%,may consider one after I get my other two done.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:54 PM
murlsquirl
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like the Sarge said above man, there is no comparison. Just look below and you will see my vote.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Cav Cop
Tourer

I looked at both. I checked out the V-Rod Night Rod with foward controls, and the Night Train. I liked the Night Train better, and bought it in Black Denim.

I am very happy with my pick 3 years later.

Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
masar
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Totally different bikes. Personally i love Night Rod and I seriously think to buy one. But i would never own it alone. I think Nightrain + Nightrod is just great couple to own both. So different and so nice. I am thinking to get Nightrod to have couple with my Rocker. But if i have to make choice only for one = Nightrain is way to go ......

Old 03-21-2010, 02:32 PM
train913
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that has to be up to you go ride them both and see what you like better,despite that I say you can't go wrong with a train!!

Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I like em both.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:07 PM
DocJ
Road Master

For starters, you posted this in the softail forum...so, what answer do you expect?

For me, I like the variability and options that customizing a softail offers. However, the V-Rod was built to appeal to a younger generation that is more about performance and speed, than about tradition and heritage.

I have heard many good things about the V-Rod...never read a bad review on them, so either would be a good choice. I've heard of many people taking their V-Rod on long road trips, so they appear to be fairly comfortable for the riding position...

I personally like the Night Train best, but the choice is yours.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 PM
crush63
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Last year I traded a 2008 Night R

Old 03-21-2010, 05:17 PM
crush63
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Last year I traded in a 2008 Night Rod Special for a 2009 Night Train

The NRS has a very stretched out riding position and i'm only 5'9 so I had to change the bars and foot controls in order to be comfortable riding it. The train fits me almost perfect the way it is.

V-rods have great top end power and are smooth as silk but don't have much low end grunt. Also they get less then impressive gas mileage. Heavy throttle drains that 5 gal tank in a hurry. Good thing is you can ride them hard without worry since that engine is about as bullet proof as it gets. Bad thing is nomatter what exhaust you bolt on them they won't sound anything like a traditional H-D. Also maintenance can be a pain. Most of the fasteners are metric and you have to remove the battery to change the spark plugs

There are things I miss about the v-rod:
excellent brakes - the brakes on the train stop the bike and that's about it
almost zero engine vibration - the train gets buzzy above 70 or any time you grab lots of throttle

My advice would be to test ride before you buy

2009 night train
1997 Buell S1
2008 Night Rod Special (gone)
2007 Dyna Super Glide Custom (gone)

Quick Reply: Night train vs. Night rod???????