Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Brakes Noisey

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Brakes Noisey

Just put on a new set of EBC brakes,not the metalic,the others"black shoes" anyways is there a break-in I can apply them and after a mile I will here this not scrap sound but kinda squeal.sorta,I apply and it goes away,so break-in 100 miles?????

Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get some Lyndall's and that will go away.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
+1......The Lyndall Z+ pads are the best.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I put some Lyndall Z-Plus pads on my bike and the rear pads squeaked everytime I applied the brakes. I called Lyndall and they told me to take the caliper off, disassemble it and clean it. I told them that the caliper had been off chromed and rebuilt a few hundred miles ago and it should not be dirty. They insisted this neede to be done and would solve the problem. I needed a new rear tire so when I changed it out I did just that, took the caliper off and cleaned it, although it looked practically new. Pads still squeaked. I filed the edges, did evrything I could think of except put some disc brake quiet on the pads (Lyndall recommended not to do this). Called Lyndall back and after more talking they agreed to send me more pads, only after getting a credit card and insisting that if the pads were used up I would be charged. I assured them the pads only had about 500 miles on them, if that. The UPS guy delivered the pads Thursday and I immediatley put them on and the old ones were in the mail that afternoon. Went for a couple of short rides Thurs and Fri and no noticible squeaking. We took a good ride today (about 120 miles) and about half way through the pads started to squeak everytime I applied the brakes (extremely irritating). I can't tell you how frustrating this is! I'll call Lyndall first thing Monday morning. Anybody got any suggestions??

Old 03-20-2010, 11:02 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just took mine out today after being at the H-D shop and noticed squeaking from my rear brake (which is new) I'm hoping it needs to be broken in.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 PM
AR-15 DEUCE
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine get quiet after I apply and during braking,when I'm cruising they sound funny....I'm thinking break-in..will see after 100mi or so..I HATE NOISES

Old 03-20-2010, 11:23 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
I put some Lyndall Z-Plus pads on my bike and the rear pads squeaked everytime I applied the brakes. I called Lyndall and they told me to take the caliper off, disassemble it and clean it. I told them that the caliper had been off chromed and rebuilt a few hundred miles ago and it should not be dirty. They insisted this neede to be done and would solve the problem. I needed a new rear tire so when I changed it out I did just that, took the caliper off and cleaned it, although it looked practically new. Pads still squeaked. I filed the edges, did evrything I could think of except put some disc brake quiet on the pads (Lyndall recommended not to do this). Called Lyndall back and after more talking they agreed to send me more pads, only after getting a credit card and insisting that if the pads were used up I would be charged. I assured them the pads only had about 500 miles on them, if that. The UPS guy delivered the pads Thursday and I immediatley put them on and the old ones were in the mail that afternoon. Went for a couple of short rides Thurs and Fri and no noticible squeaking. We took a good ride today (about 120 miles) and about half way through the pads started to squeak everytime I applied the brakes (extremely irritating). I can't tell you how frustrating this is! I'll call Lyndall first thing Monday morning. Anybody got any suggestions??
I had the exact same problem with Lyndall Z+ brakes on the rear. I must have put those pads on and off 6 times including a replacement set Lyndall shipped to me. I got pretty fast at putting rear pads on and off. I even tried squeak free grease. Nothing would keep the rear brakes from squeaking. I finally took them off and am running HD pads on the rear. The front Z+ pads are fine and are still on the bike.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Grease the backs of the pads. Metal to metal contact areas. Grease the bolts that hold the pads in place. Other than that there's not much you can do. And use disc brake grease. It's sold at all the auto parts stores in small $1 packets.

Old 03-21-2010, 12:18 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

got lyndalls but haven't got them in yet..

Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i had that brand and the noise will go away but it will come back and then go away and come back. went to lyndall and wow, no issues

Quick Reply: New Brakes Noisey